Getting home insurance for the first time

My parents signed over there house to me a few weeks ago for health reasons , I've never left home so have never had home insurance just car insurance.
Their Home Insurance is up for renewal and there current provider YBS have told them since I'm the new owner I have to my name on the policy, so I phoned YBS yesterday and was quoted £55 a month.
My parents never shopped around on the internet but I have and got a quote from Admiral for £29 per month for the same cover.
Are Admiral ok or should I go elsewhere?

Thanks

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Are you talking buildings and contents insurance here.

You should let the old ons. Know that you /they)are not renewing. Most of these are auto renwal.

Try a comparison site like compare the market for prices.

Also did they take advice before signing the house over to you. It can cause major problems for them if they need care or state benefits. Google
    Deprivation of assets
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • jamestay1
    jamestay1 Posts: 73 Forumite
    The current policy runs out in a few weeks time so enough time to cancel it.
    Our solicitor told us about the bad things about changing the deeds to me but it's mainly for family reasons not just for health.
  • jamestay1
    jamestay1 Posts: 73 Forumite
    Yeh both building and contents
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    jamestay1 wrote: »
    The current policy runs out in a few weeks time so enough time to cancel it.

When you contact them only use the word "cancel" in relation to autorenewal

You want the policy to "lapse", not cancelling. Over zealous agents are known to accept requests to cancel policies and invoke their cancellation fees!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure