Prepaid Travel Cards guide

Comments

• Hi,

I'm after some advice, I'm going travelling, going to south America then making my way up through central America, into the states then from the states over to Australia.

I'm unsure which is the best card/cards to get, I was thinking of the Halifax clarity card and also the monzo, but am I right in thinking you can only spend up to £1000 a month on the monzo? I'm not sure that I can stick to that as I will be using the card for everything, also the Halifax clarity card charges to withdraw cash?
    Are they the two best for my situation? I want more of a debit type card than a credit card.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • WAYT
    WAYT Posts: 694 Forumite
    duffs54 wrote: »
    Just another quick question, is the Revolute card ok to use at French petrol stations please?

https://community.revolut.com/t/non-present-transactions/652
    https://community.revolut.com/t/buying-petrol-at-an-automated-petrol-station/1168/3
  • WAYT
    Bryan83 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm after some advice, I'm going travelling, going to south America then making my way up through central America, into the states then from the states over to Australia.

I'm unsure which is the best card/cards to get, I was thinking of the Halifax clarity card and also the monzo, but am I right in thinking you can only spend up to £1000 a month on the monzo? I'm not sure that I can stick to that as I will be using the card for everything, also the Halifax clarity card charges to withdraw cash?
    Are they the two best for my situation? I want more of a debit type card than a credit card.

Loot.io allows up to £3000 per month. Would be useful to have a VISA card too, but the https://uk.virginmoney.com/virgin/current-account/essential-current-account.jsp is soon switching to Mastercard.

Just cover your spends/withdrawals on the Clarity immediately or asap to avoid having to pay interest.
  • Stew68
    Stew68 Posts: 814 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi,

I think you can only draw out cash up to £1000 a month but you can spend however much you like.

I spent over £1000.00 last month on mine without any problem at all.

Hope that helps.
  • Thanks wayt for getting back so soon, does the loot.io charge cash withdrawals? Yes I will make sure I take a visa card aswell.

What do you mean cover my spends/withdrawals on the clarity card? I don't have one yet but am thinking of getting one, what with I have to pay interest on?

Thanks stew68
    so you drew £1000 cash but could still pay for things on the card although you'd taken the max cash out?
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,573 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    am I right in thinking you can only spend up to £1000 a month on the monzo?
    No, that's the monthly cash withdrawal limit. Spending is not limited except for the £1000 maximum single card payment.

For an additional debit card try the new 'mobile only' Starling Bank, no fees for foreign use, funds can be added any time by FP or bank debit card. It's been working well for me.

https://www.starlingbank.com/
    Evolution, not revolution
  • WAYT
    duffs54 wrote: »
    Thank you again WAYT.

Think I will give them a miss.

Cheers

You 'll have the same issue with all prepaid cards. So stick with one of the credit cards above and/or get a Metro Bank Debit card disbursed on the spot. If not close to that area, perhaps the Virgin Money Essential Current Account It's a Basic account without overdraft. So no issues to obtaining it, even with a poor credit record.
  • WAYT
    Thanks wayt for getting back so soon, does the loot.io charge cash withdrawals? Yes I will make sure I take a visa card aswell.

What do you mean cover my spends/withdrawals on the clarity card? I don't have one yet but am thinking of getting one, what with I have to pay interest on?

Thanks stew68
    so you drew £1000 cash but could still pay for things on the card although you'd taken the max cash out?

Two free ATM withdrawals per month. £1 per ATM withdrawal above that.
  • I'm going to Singapore and NZ for 6 weeks and wondered what is the best prepaid travel card to use?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback