PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Options

Comments

• Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Found DsS a Tresspass waterproof jacket. £2.50 . Perfect timing as he has a three day outdoor activity school trip in May.

And still plenty of £1 bits for DS. He's seven months now and I've got a great hoard of items up to age two :rofl:
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • dragonlily
    dragonlily Posts: 186 Forumite
    Options
    I have took a massive pile of donations in today (car boot packed full), and had a quick look around whilst I was there.

Made up as got a full bottle of Jo Malone Red Roses bath oil (250ml plastic bottle) for £1.49 :)
    http://www.jomalone.co.uk/product/3612/10014/fragrances/the-collections/light-floral/red-roses/red-roses-bath-oil?gclid=Cj0KEQjw5sHHBRDg5IK6k938j_IBEiQARZBJWnThNRK_1-uN-AHGYLtYebEQElagLuEbQCctXShsErYaAuBu8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CI3P1OGgpNMCFasw0wodsV4BDA

Also paid out at £10 for a doll as my daughter really wanted her. She is in perfect condition though, just missing her shoes. At least it is for charity!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Our-Generation-18-inch-Alejandra-Regular/dp/B00U3WUG3Q

x
  • Art_Deco
    Art_Deco Posts: 188 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Mrs_Ryan wrote: »
    Just had to mention this as I saw the discussion about seeing stuff you have donated on sale- I gave 4 huge bin bags to the BHF a few weeks back as they were the only ones in my area that would collect. I know there was some very good stuff in there- a Quiz maxi dress (one of the ball gown types) worn once, a Hollister t-shirt BNWT are just two things I remember- I happened to be walking past the shop earlier and although it was shut I stopped and looked in the window. Imagine my amazement to see a pair of Superdry silver canvas trainers I had paid £10 for in an outlet (although I had seen them in the Superdry store for £25) which I had worn, although I seem to recall only a few times as they were horrendously uncomfortable but the inner sole was quite worn away- in the window priced at £18!
    This is why I cant donate to BHF ,I hate to see things with such high price tags, even more than the original price , I would much rather take a few things at a time into town on the bus to one of the smaller chazzers who sell things at a more realistic price, I know they want as much as they can get for the charity but surely selling cheaper would have a better turn over.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Art Deco - how I agree I rarely even look in BHF now. I tend to donate to my local hospice as they price realistically and they know what the original prices were likely to be. I bought a beautiful sheath dress (foreign make) the detail and finish on it were superb - for £6. It wasn't even for me but a friend - she loved it luckily!!!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Bought a pair of TU grey leggings, new for £1 from Air Ambulance.

I never cease to be amazed at the good quality of Sainsbury's clothes.

I really bought them for wearing round the house but think I might swop them with my 'going out' Next ones as the TU ones are much nicer quality.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Forgot this bargain from yesterday:
    A 'looks like new' copy of Gone With The Wind for 75p from the Hospice shop.
    900+ pages of sheer indulgence. :)
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 15 April 2017 at 4:47PM
    Options
    found a lovely triple dressing table mirror - like new, £12.50.
    It's from Next & similar to this one - I think it may have been part of a set & someone only wanted the dressing table

http://www.next.co.uk/g501218s9#800676
  • KitKatMum2
    KitKatMum2 Posts: 120 Forumite
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    I visit my local charity shops fairly regularly and have occasionally wondered why I've never seen some of the nicer items I've donated on sale. Either they've been sold quickly, or .......dare I ask this question..... do the volunteers serving in the shop get first offer on any donated items?

I ask this, not because I mind if volunteers get first offers, but I would be very upset if they weren't paying the same price for them that they would be pricing them up for members of the general public.

Can anybody who's ever volunteered in a charity shop share what the policy is on this?

A few years ago we took seven bin liners full of items (decent stuff, not tat) plus a few bigger items to one of our local charity shops. We are signed up to gift aid and had a letter around a year later saying 'Thank you for your donations, they raised a total of 70p for charity of which gift aid is xxx'.

I will admit I always wondered what happened to the rest of it - I like to hope they just forgot to mark most of it as a gift aid donation - but I do wonder, especially as there was a full bin bag of my husband's designer clothing amongst it :huh: I don't believe for a second that they only got 70p for everything.
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    KitKatMum2 wrote: »
    A few years ago we took seven bin liners full of items (decent stuff, not tat) plus a few bigger items to one of our local charity shops. We are signed up to gift aid and had a letter around a year later saying 'Thank you for your donations, they raised a total of 70p for charity of which gift aid is xxx'.

I will admit I always wondered what happened to the rest of it - I like to hope they just forgot to mark most of it as a gift aid donation - but I do wonder, especially as there was a full bin bag of my husband's designer clothing amongst it :huh: I don't believe for a second that they only got 70p for everything.

Lets hope they did just forget to mark them as Gift Aided. I must admit, I've sometimes wondered why they haven't received a higher Gift Aid amount when I've handed in a a particularly nice/expensive item but then I suppose if it doesn't sell they might move it around the shops or reduce it, thereby lowering the amount of Gift Aid. On the whole, I've been happy to get the quarterly emails letting me know how much they've manage to raise.

I have a friend who volunteers in an Oxfam & they are allowed first pickings but must pay the going rate. I have another who helps in a small local shop and they can take things with a 10% discount - but I think they can more or less price them at whatever they think - and I know of others in there who have taken home stuff to try and haven't returned it for two weeks! I'd like to think they haven't worn it then brought it back but a lot of other people might have had the chance to buy that article in that two weeks - especially in the run up to Christmas when every day closer to Christmas, it's more likely to stay on the shelf because folk have already bought what they want or don't have the time to go CS shopping.
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Because I live quite rurally, I wouldn't have chosen to donate to BHF but they were the only charity who would collect from where I live :( I'm disabled so taking anything bigger than a small bag on the bus is totally out of the question- I had to get my OH to carry them downstairs. If we had taken them to the local charity shop they're all in a precinct and the closest parking is about a mile away so that wouldn't even be possible. OH is fit and strong but he would have had to dragged one bag at a time for a mile then come back four times! Just not practical at all. I had hoped that there would be another charity but there wasn't.
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure