PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    oldhaggis wrote: »
    To anyone reading who is new to the charity shop scene - CS are always very grateful for bubble wrap, tissue paper and newspapers as well as good donations. A lot of CS also take clean rag eg worn out clothing, sheets, towels, curtains etc. Please check first that the shop accepts it and then bag it up and label it as rag to help the volunteers who sort the donations.
    I take anything like this to RSPCA shop as they use it for bedding but always check first before I take it in.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    oldhaggis wrote: »
    To anyone reading who is new to the charity shop scene - CS are always very grateful for bubble wrap, tissue paper and newspapers as well as good donations.
    I didn't know this, but its a request that can be easily accomodated!

Eta: I should have realised, the lady at CRUK wrapped my cast iron bookstand in newspaper :o
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,899 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Found another pair of trousers yesterday in the Debra chazza shop, leaf green, slim fit and still with the £16 tags on, by Country Rose (I think they are Edinburgh Woollen Mill) for £1.99. :) Heard the manager say that they will be selling everything at £1.99 for the foreseeable future. Bit pricy for a T shirt but dresses & coats will be good!

This morning had a trip to the local market town of Otley and in the Age Concern 99p shop I picked up a nice T M Lewin shirt in a subtle bue check with double cuffs and cute silk knot cuff links attached. Lovely quality fabric and currently selling on their website for £34.95. :)
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Was chatting to one of the volunteers I know and she told me that Ted Baker were donating some of their stuff to sell.
    They had a few items out, but mainly in small sizes.

I called into the big Oxfam shop in Otley and they had a few brand new Ted Baker items in....satin jacket, leather jacket, summer jacket.....all priced at £60-£90!! They were small sizes too - size 1 which I believe is a British 8. I wonder if TB is in trouble too like Jaegar?

My de-cluttering continues and I have another two bin bags full and ready to go to a charity shop this week-end. I have a bit of a problem tho and was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what to do? Years ago I inherited a real fur racoon coat. It has been in a box in a cupboard since I received it as I feel very uncomfortable about ever wearing fur and think it is now time to get rid of it. The charity shops here will not take furs and it seems a shame to just bin it. What the heck can I do with it? I found an old thread on MSE about disposing of furs but many of the links given now don't work so I haven't got anywhere. It was suggested that animal sanctuaries might take such things to use as bedding but my local ones are not interested. It was also suggested to turn the thing into a throw following some videos on YouTube but I find that idea a bit icky & don't really fancy it!! Any other bright ideas would be very welcome.....thanks.
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,039 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I had a coney (rabbit) fur coat which was all the rage in the early 80s, but which I hadn't worn more than maybe twice. It had been languishing in a wardrobe for 30 years, but I sold it on a well known online auction site. There were lots of bids on it too, and I think it sold for about £80 plus postage. I was a little nervous about listing it in case I had any abuse, but it was all absolutely fine.
  • Beenie
    Beenie Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I have been looking for some proper walking trousers to replace my old Rohans and found the perfect pair today for £6 in Mind. Bargain.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I would suggest putting it on Fleabay too. It's probably classed as 'vintage' now and many costumiers look for authentic clothing. It's worth a try.
    Called into my local hospice shop and saw a beautiful shift dress in a lovely autumn shade just right for a friend of mine. I messaged her with a photo and it's now hung up waiting for her to try on tomorrow. It's like a rough silk finish and fully lined, think it's a continental make. Just hope she likes it and it fits - if not they will take it back so fingers crossed.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,899 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Many thanks for the replies about the fur coat. I did have a squiz on FleaBay and there are some for sale there but like you C J I was concerned about possible abuse. Might have to give it a bit more thought. I did think of offering it on Freecycle but as I live in a town with an active anti-fur student population I decided it was asking for trouble! (Made me laugh this winter when lots of young women were wearing those knitted hats with the huge 'fur' bobbles on the top and then it was reported that many of them were, in fact, made from real fur!)
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Mir! wrote: »
    I have a bit of a problem tho and was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what to do? Years ago I inherited a real fur racoon coat. It has been in a box in a cupboard since I received it as I feel very uncomfortable about ever wearing fur and think it is now time to get rid of it. The charity shops here will not take furs and it seems a shame to just bin it. What the heck can I do with it? I found an old thread on MSE about disposing of furs but many of the links given now don't work so I haven't got anywhere. It was suggested that animal sanctuaries might take such things to use as bedding but my local ones are not interested. It was also suggested to turn the thing into a throw following some videos on YouTube but I find that idea a bit icky & don't really fancy it!! Any other bright ideas would be very welcome.....thanks.
    This is really hard.
    My grandma wore a fox fur stole - yes, with the head on! - but it was how things were in those days.
    People had stuffed birds under glass domes.
    And stags heads on the walls and tiger skin rugs.
    Same with ivory.
    What was acceptable 50 years ago isn't now.
    But that animal died and if there's any way you can pass it on, I'd try to do that.
    It's not like the new shocking scandal about shoes having cat/rabbit fur trim from China passed off as faux fur.
    It was acceptable back in the day.
  • DianneB
    DianneB Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    First bargain for ages, a pink Ruhn Rikon stove top kettle for £5.50.
    Slightly bitter
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Just had to mention this as I saw the discussion about seeing stuff you have donated on sale- I gave 4 huge bin bags to the BHF a few weeks back as they were the only ones in my area that would collect. I know there was some very good stuff in there- a Quiz maxi dress (one of the ball gown types) worn once, a Hollister t-shirt BNWT are just two things I remember- I happened to be walking past the shop earlier and although it was shut I stopped and looked in the window. Imagine my amazement to see a pair of Superdry silver canvas trainers I had paid £10 for in an outlet (although I had seen them in the Superdry store for £25) which I had worn, although I seem to recall only a few times as they were horrendously uncomfortable but the inner sole was quite worn away- in the window priced at £18!
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure