New VED is the dealer obliged to inform?

rule
rule Posts: 29 Forumite
edited 24 March 2017 at 10:20AM in Motoring
Hi,

We are getting a new car (PCP).
This is a factory build, we signed the finance agreement in November and we were expecting a feb max march delivery (agreed verbally but not in writing prior of placing the order).
The VED was £30 PA, we signed expecting the delivery march maximum.

The date has changed to mid April (we were informed in December and we were also given the opportunity to cancel due to the inconvenience) .
We decided to wait.

However we have not been informed about the new VED (after April 2017) , only recently we have found out and we have asked the dealer to confirm if the vehicle that we are getting would incur the Premium car supplement.

The dealer still didn't respond however by the looks of it, it would apply because from what I understand the dealer discount is not taken into account so even though that the total price would be around £36 + dealer discount =£42.

Obviously not happy cause we would have to pay for 5 years 450=£2250 compared to £150 for 5 years with the £30 pa charge (an excess of £2100 from what was originally expected.

Was the dealer responsible for informing us about the new tax changes when he informed me about the delivery date and does the fact that he didn't constitutes misselling or he wasn't obliged,

and can I cancel everything after so long ? I have paid a deposit of £1000, is there anything that can be agreed with the dealership In your opinion (they include the first year of road tax for free).

Thanks in advance

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    No, it is not mis-selling. You placed an order for February-March delivery. Slippage to April was far from unlikely.

The new VED scheme has been public since July 2015's budget.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33447106

You say about the "premium supplement" - this is a vehicle with a list price, including factory options, above £40,000?
  • rule
    AdrianC wrote: »
    No, it is not mis-selling. You placed an order for February-March delivery. Slippage to April was far from unlikely.

The new VED scheme has been public since July 2015's budget.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33447106

You say about the "premium supplement" - this is a vehicle with a list price, including factory options, above £40,000?

The OTR price is 38.800 the extras are definitely worth around 4k The discount was around , dealer discount total around 6k vehicle value that I would pay If I choose to purchase around 36k... so I think premium supplement tax could be payable..
  • AdrianC
    It's the list price of car plus list price of options.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,965 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    rule wrote: »
    Was the dealer responsible for informing us about the new tax changes when he informed me about the delivery date and does the fact that he didn't constitutes misselling or he wasn't obliged
    No. Tax arrangements are your responsibility, not the dealer's. The changes weren't new when you ordered the car either, having been announced over a year before. With hindsight, you should have made the March deadline a condition of the deal at the time, or walked away if they couldn't guarantee it.

As for cancelling, you should check the terms of your contract to see if you can, and what the penalties will be. I suspect they will be prohibitive, so your best bet is to negotiate what you can from them as a gesture of gooodwill for the extra costs you will incur as a result of the delay.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    As long as they know the VIN, the dealer can sometimes register a car even if it's not actually with them yet. Might be worth trying?
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    rule wrote: »
    ......they include the first year of road tax for free)...

Based on you expecting to pay £30 a year, the first year of road tax costs them ... zero! As long as the car is registered before the end of March.

Under the new regime, the first year road tax will now be £160.
  • rule
    marlot wrote: »
    As long as they know the VIN, the dealer can sometimes register a car even if it's not actually with them yet. Might be worth trying?

I was actually going to write a comment about this.. does it need to be on UK waters to do so ?
    I am asking the question about the tax for four weeks now and still didn't get an official response.. thinking the dealer is delaying it on purpose.
    Any idea how long the registration process can take ?
  • AdrianC
    The registration is done almost immediately by the dealer, using their direct link to DVLA's systems.

If the car is registered too early, then there's still the chance of delays and problems in the delivery chain - your insurance needs to be in place, and your warranty and VED start from the registration date.
  • rule
    AdrianC wrote: »
    The registration is done almost immediately by the dealer, using their direct link to DVLA's systems.

If the car is registered too early, then there's still the chance of delays and problems in the delivery chain - your insurance needs to be in place, and your warranty and VED start from the registration date.

That's fine , but in other words they should be able to do it nevertheless .
  • rule
    edited 21 March 2017 at 6:14PM
    Dealer says that cars can't be registered before they arrive to the dealership ? They did offer me the chance to cancel (not sure if they are bluffing ) asked them to see what they can do and send me an email outlining the response and inform me about the cancellation procedure...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure