Did egg pre tick their PPI box in 2004. I know I definitely did not tick it.

Hi all

I rang Egg today asking if I had a PPI on my credit card, they said yes and are sending out a questionnaire.

I've been reading posts where people are saying that they didn't tick the ppi box but are not being refunded. I completed an online application in 2004. I definitely did not tick any ppi box as I wouldn't have needed it. I am in a job where I would be paid full sick pay for two years and have been for the last 15 years. I know I never ticked it but I've heard that egg tell people that they did tick when they actually haven't. I've got a feeling that is going to happen to me.

Can anyone help? What do I say if they try and say I ticked it. Is it true that they pre ticked the box in 2004?

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 November 2013 at 6:09PM
    So why did you not cancel it at the time if you didn't want it?

PPI is only charged on a statement with a balance, so if you paid any it would have been itemised on that monthly statement. That's over a hundred statements . . .

No idea about what dates the boxes may have been pre-ticked, but Egg (and FOS) will know.
  • I never knew that I had it until I looked in detail at my statement and rang them up to cancel it in 2009. However the fact that I had it on my statements isn't the issue. I didn't actually ask for it so I believe I should be refunded!
  • LeeLee81 wrote: »
    I've heard that egg tell people that they did tick when they actually haven't.
    Where have you heard this? What evidence was there to prove that the Bank were wrong in their assertions?
    Basically, this claim is just nonsense.
    I never knew that I had it until I looked in detail at my statement
    Whose fault is that?
  • Well, thanks so much for your unhelpful and rude comments. I shall be pursuing this as I've seen many people get back their money from an egg credit card PPI. I guess I should've known that posting on here would've provoked an amateurish response. It's not your fault that you're uneducated. I will ask a professional instead who knows what they are talking about!
  • Didn't realise you had cover?

Have you just checked your credit card statements to find that you've been paying for insurance, but didn't realise until now that you had it, or what it's for?

Some old agreements (pre-July 2007), particularly store cards, may have used pre-ticked boxes so you had to opt out of the insurance rather than opt in, which is unfair. Always check this. If you're paying for insurance you didn't know you had, go to how to reclaim.

I fit into this category and this was a quote from THIS site. So it looks like I do have a case!
  • Hi Lee,

I took out an egg card in 2003 and it was defaulted to 'yes, I want to protect my repayments'. I have a screenshot. So yes it was pre-ticked and you had to actively de-select it.

It also used to say we strongly recommend you take out this valuable cover, so a young man with not much financial know how would probably click next.

Nowhere did it state the exclusions of the policy unless you explicitly allowed pop-ups & clicked through.

This is part of my complaint against Egg which is currently with the ombudsman.

Good luck & let me know if you have any questions & will try best to assist.

Also as regards to the fact you should have seen it on your statements is nothing to do with it, besides who's to say you didn't know it was optional & thought you had to have it.
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 November 2013 at 5:39PM
    unhelpful and rude comments.
    So it looks like I do have a case!
    What rude comments?
    As for unhelpful, you may have a case but the answers you've been given are what a claims handler will think when he first reads your complaint.

people are saying that they didn't tick the ppi box but are not being refunded
    People say all kinds of things but Egg (and FOS) know on what dates the boxes were pre-ticked.
    It's not your fault that you're uneducated. I will ask a professional instead who knows what they are talking about!
    You'll pay any "professional" you employ at least 25% (plus VAT) of any redress you win.
    Still sure it is we who are the "uneducated"? :D
  • maxzorin wrote: »
    Also as regards to the fact you should have seen it on your statements is nothing to do with it
    It does have something to do with it if part of the Op's complaint is that he didn't know he had it. It means he either ignored the contents of his statements from 2004 to 2009 (at least 48 statements) or didn't actually pay any PPI because credit card PPI is only paid when the account has a balance.
    Your complaint is now with the Ombudsman, which suggests the Bank refuted your assertion that your application must have had a pre-ticked box. Since the dates when pre-populated boxes are known to both the Ombudsman and the Bank, I wouldn't be too certain that FOS will uphold your complaint.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure