Great 'What discounts can I get when I'm disabled' Hunt

1484950515254»

Comments

• kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    The Air Factory in St. Helens has a carer goes free offer. In addition, for the summer you can pay £29 in total, and go for up to an hour every day until 3rd September. As it normally costs £9 per session, this is great value.

I bought the summer offer for my son on Wednesday and we've been twice already. I've asked about a term time offer, as from September he is in college for three days a week. There are no plans for a pass as yet, but I have been informed that the cost for a disabled person is £5 per session, with a free carer.
  • Just seen request by bushy1976 about airport parking. We have just dropped off DD at Heathrow and used the long stay car park for 2 hours FREE! Very easy for less mobile and wheelchair users as the parking was right next to the bus stop, busses had ramps and stopped right outside the terminal entrance. This is easier than using the short stay car park but make sure you get back within 2 hours or you have to pay for a whole day! You need to allow 20 mins each way but still get over an hour in the terminal for a coffee and goodbye.
  • Living Coasts, the conservation zoo and aquarium in Torquay, gives reduced price entry for disabled people, plus free entry for a carer. The site is very accessible - go the their website, then 'Plan your visit', then 'Accessibility' for detailed information.
  • Lizzbet
    Lizzbet Posts: 13 Forumite
    We went to Rome for our wedding anniversary last year, by train as a) we were worried about how my powerchair would be treated in the hold of an aeroplane and b) we thought we'd enjoy seeing the views en route (we were right!).

I have a UK railcard, which gave the two of us 1/3 off rail travel - booking as far as possible in advance also helped.
    Eurostar, TGV and Trenitalia all carry wheelchair users who remain in their wheelchair in the first class section of the train, with one companion, for the price of second class travel. This includes refreshments etc as provided to first class passengers. There was no problem whatsoever with getting on and off, having booked assistance in advance with the relevant companies.
    When in Italy and France, we were ushered to the front of every queue when visiting heritage sites, museums etc, and were BOTH given free admittance. Which was wonderful!
    I think I'll be going abroad again...
  • Lizzbet
    Lizzbet Posts: 13 Forumite
    Durham County Council gives people with disabilities free bus travel. I put 'wheelchair transport' into the search bar on their website and it came up about four entries down.
  • The deep in hull do a free carer with disabled person. It's a year card they do take photos but no photo of carer if you ask. My mum and hubby take me.
    Also you can get free humber bridge crossings if you are a blue bade holder. You have to apply with copy of motability certificate or blue badge.
  • K80_Black
    K80_Black Posts: 466 Forumite
    First Post
    Just a thanks for this thread - I am holidaying in London soon and didn't expect to be able to get any discounts because I have mental health issues rather than a mobility problem. However, upon asking I have been told that I can get discounted theatre tickets, my carer in for free at the gig were seeing, and both a discount AND a free carer at the comedy store! Brilliant!
  • Hynt is the national access scheme for theatres and arts centres in Wales. It’s free to join and lasts 5 years. About 40 venues in Wales are members. Card holders get a ticket free of charge for their carer, companion or PA. If someone needs 2:1 support that’s fine, just need to go through arbitration.

Apply online - website is hynt then co then uk or phone the helpline 01244 526001 if you want to apply through the post or have questions about applying.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Hynt is the national access scheme for theatres and arts centres in Wales. It’s free to join and lasts 5 years. About 40 venues in Wales are members. Card holders get a ticket free of charge for their carer, companion or PA. If someone needs 2:1 support that’s fine, just need to go through arbitration.

Apply online - website is hynt then co then uk or phone the helpline 01244 526001 if you want to apply through the post or have questions about applying.
    Not sure why you joined to answer a post on a thread that's over 1 year old. You really must have searched the forum for this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure