MSE TicketySplit app discussion

Comments

• Tulyar
    Tulyar Posts: 11
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I don't think Tickety Split can actually match the option of learning about routing and validity of tickets, as it isn't clear if you identify TOC only options and deals like the EC 10% discount on EC-Only fares booked on-line.

Just as motorists have a good handle on finding cheaper fuels and servicing, so regular rail travellers build up a knowledge of fare pricing points. for example the standard return fares WAT-FNC are around £5 cheaper than WAT-GLD, a stop closer to London, due to the zoning criteria.
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 2,576
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Wat-Gld is much cheaper than Wat-Fnc.

The only way Wat-fnc would be cheaper is if you are buying a wat-gld ticket routed 'via reading', but why would you do that, when the 'route clandon/woking' ticket is much cheaper?
  • edrandall
    edrandall Posts: 21
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 22 April 2013 at 7:03AM
    A bit saddened that an Android app has taken back seat to an iPhone app.... especially on a money saving site, and with Android THE most popular opperating system for mobile phones... doesn't make sense to me.

[STRIKE]I'm a bit saddened that a straightforward web page app has taken the back seat to a mobile phone version. I'm way too frugal to splash out on such things. Tell me I'm wrong please, is there a link somewhere?[/STRIKE]
    Phew found it http://splitticket.moneysavingexpert.com/tool.php
  • I am using a samsung s2 and it just aint working......can't even access the app!!
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Tulyar wrote: »
    I don't think Tickety Split can actually match the option of learning about routing and validity of tickets, as it isn't clear if you identify TOC only options and deals like the EC 10% discount on EC-Only fares booked on-line.

But that EC 10% is off advance fares, surely? Which tickety split doesn't set out to deal in. Or it didn't last time I looked at it, some time back.

TOC options should be there if purchasable as walk on at a station.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I am using a samsung s2 and it just aint working......can't even access the app!!

There is no android app.

From your web browser use this... http://splitticket.moneysavingexpert.com/
  • eglons
    eglons Posts: 56 Forumite
    Am I doing something wrong or is this limited to today and tomorrow?... most MSE folk will want to book well in advance to make the best savings so what's the point of this?
  • dzug1
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    eglons wrote: »
    Am I doing something wrong or is this limited to today and tomorrow?... most MSE folk will want to book well in advance to make the best savings so what's the point of this?

It only gives you walk on fares that are the same price on the day - that's the whole point of it and what it sets out (with varying success) to do. It gets you a cheaper journey when you haven't been able to book in advance

Advance fares are a rather more difficult problem - no one has yet solved it, fully anyway
  • The TicketySplit mobile site has come up with an £11 saving for Swaythling to London by buying a £1.90 single to Southampton Airport Parkway (where I would change anyway) and then a £25 "RAIL-AIR SINGLE" ticket to London.

I can find no mention of this type of ticket on the Network rail site or any other ticketing site. Does anyone know if this actually exists because it sounds too good to be true?
  • dzug1
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It probably exists on paper as a special offer that can be sold to passengers arriving at Southampton by air. Possibly only to be sold on board the plane.

Doesn't mean to say it is currently on offer - it's an enabling fare, not a mandatory one. Maybe something being considered - or even something that used to exist but is no more.

Like you I cannot find any other reference to it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure