MSE News: Millions wasting money on mobiles

Options

Comments

• Azari
    Azari Posts: 4,317 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Jo_F wrote: »
    I would rather stick with the contract I have, and miss reaching the quota every month, that have a lower tariff and have a point where I exceed it, it feels more comfortable having that cushion of what's included in the tarrif.

That's why the tariffs are arranged the way they are.

The less astute look at them and divide the monthly charge by the included minutes and think of that as the rate per minute.

The more mathematically 'with it' realise that what they should be doing is dividing the charge for a plan that ensures they will never go over their included minutes and divide that by their average use per month. That will get them the true cost of their call.

Of course, the real idiots then refuse to use a landline on the basis that they are getting 'free' calls in their mobile contract. :rotfl:
    There are two types of people in the world: Those that can extrapolate information.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 31 May 2012 at 1:01PM
    Options
    Azari wrote: »
    The more mathematically 'with it' realise that what they should be doing is dividing the charge for a plan that ensures they will never go over their included minutes and divide that by their average use per month. That will get them the true cost of their call.
    The most mathematically wise will chose the tariff that just minimises the average cost allowing for going over sometimes.
    If the average minutes are, say, 110, a tariff with 100 minutes can be more cost-effective than the next one with, say, 300 minutes.

However, even this approach is far from being perfect as the amount of the 'free' minutes you get inevitably affects your average usage.
  • austeritydave
    Options
    I get more annoyed by the extortionate cost of extra's (roaming and international minutes than I do about unused bundled minutes.

The big phone companies are experts in pricing - giving away zero cost on net minutes gets customers to sign-up and they can increase their revenues on high margin international calls and roaming minutes.
  • TESCO_R+R_RAIDER
    Options
    im on 3 pay as you go.

my deal for £15 top up is.
    all you can eat internet. (limit is 80gb)
    300 min talk time
    3000 txt messages.
    not bad for pay as you go and no monthly contract.
    :rotfl: given up on tesco do a lot os boots offers. but weekends are now in orange trackside b. lol
    now a race marshal at silverstone.:beer:
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 May 2012 at 2:36PM
    Options
    I think the headline is probably very misleading. You won't know how many minutes you will want to use in any given month, so all you can do is guess. You also have to consider the possibility of exceeding your inclusive limits... What would you do? Could you stop using the phone or would you have "no choice" but to pay extortionate call charges? If the latter, you may be better off "insuring" yourself against such risks by getting a contract with more inclusive minutes than you are likely to need. If you end up not needing them, they haven't been wasted -- you've had the peace of mind that you could use your phone excessively if you wanted. It's like insurance -- no one complains that they have "wasted" money on house insurance if their house doesn't burn down.

And I wonder what figures they are using. I get 300 minutes, unlimited texts and 500MB Internet access per month. My bill shows that the tariff costs £15.50 a month. But I pay the network operator £10.50 a month and am due £80 cashback from a third-party... so effectively that works out at £3.83 a month. But I bet the report sees me as "overspending" because I don't use the 300 minutes and would probably be fine with 100.

I think it's one of those headlines that catches your attention... until you realise that the figures used and the justifications given make the research completely meaningless.
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This is all caused by bundling, whereby customers are encouraged to buy a number of minutes, texts and megabytes per month. This forces you to buy more than you need. Imagine if this system was the norm with electricity, gas and water supplies. It makes no more sense with mobile phones than it would with other utilities. A more transparent system would be to charge customers only for what they use, with lower rates per minute, text or megabyte above certain monthly levels, giving a discount to high users.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    NFH wrote: »
    This is all caused by bundling, whereby customers are encouraged to buy a number of minutes, texts and megabytes per month. This forces you to buy more than you need. Imagine if this system was the norm with electricity, gas and water supplies. It makes no more sense with mobile phones than it would with other utilities. A more transparent system would be to charge customers only for what they use, with lower rates per minute, text or megabyte above certain monthly levels, giving a discount to high users.
    Yes, I've got a company mobile which works that way. No line rental or inclusive minutes or any of that rubbish, just pay per call and the rates are about 1p/min on-net/landline and about 5p/min off-net, and 2p for texts IIRC. We have to pay for our personal calls, but my bill is only about £2 usually for 100-200 mins or so.

There don't seem to be contracts like that for personal use unfortunately.
  • choccyface2006
    choccyface2006 Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    Options
    An important point that the research ignores is that the marginal cost of exceeding call/text allowances is much greater than what can be saved by opting for a cheaper tarriff with fewer inclusive calls/texts. For example the difference between the 600min tariff SIM only deal I took with Vodafone and a 300min tariff was £5 (before EAP discount). However for every minute over 300 used, the charge is 35p. Therefore you only have to exceed the allowance by 15mins to exceed the cost of the higher tariff. Since my usage fluctuates dramatically from month to month it made more sense to go with the higher tariff to insure against bill shock.

This is precisely my way of thinking, I do the same on Orange.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My mobile SIM only deal is £5/month, and I never use all of the minutes.
  • simax
    simax Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Indeed that is a cracking deal so long as the term isn't longer than 2 years? That phone costs £699 direct from Apple so that's the equivalent of £29.12 over a 2 year deal. Hope the network coverage is up to scratch!

Yep, it's on T-Mobile. Have 3G everywhere I go. Cracking stuff. (I also used 30GB of tethering last month to so getting my monies worth lol)
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure