Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 3
  • Izzz
    Hi

My York stone door steps have been stained as they are under the central heating flue pipe so i suppose that it is oily/ tar. I have tried a pressure cleaner and proprietary stone cleaning products one with and one without acid.

It's better but not brilliant. Any suggestions please?

Izzz
    • margie48
    • By margie48 21st Jul 13, 5:39 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    margie48
    Does the bleach harm the surrounding lawn
  • Try This
    Tough patio cleaning
    Hi all,

I have found that Lichens are difficult to remove from my patio but there are a good selection of hints and tips on this site:

pavingexpert.com, visit the FAQ on 'black spots and lichens'

It mostly recommends a varying dilution of water/thin bleach from 10:1 to 1:1 (for tough jobs).

However it doesn't recommend you leave it to dry as in some comments above and use a stiff broom and more water to rinse.

I used a 1:1 mixture and a pressure washer. No Mercy!

One interesting comment was the use of a brick/masonry sealant after cleaning to reduce the 'elbow grease' in later years.

Note - When mixing water and the Sodium Hypochlorite (bleach) one should add the sodium to the water, not water to sodium. This way there is less danger to the user from splashing.

Happy cleaning!

Try This
  • Roy Karroum
    This idea which you can share over here is really very useful. Its fantastic while not using chemicals to have clean.
    • Dreamscometrue
    • By Dreamscometrue 1st Mar 17, 2:28 PM
    • 231 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    Dreamscometrue
    The problem in using bleach or other chemicals is that they completely destroy all the worms and other wildlife which lie underneath the stone patio.
    Best to use a 50/50 solution of white vinegar or bicarbonate of soda which is very effective but doesn't kill the wildlife.
    Originally posted by Flytothesun
    Good idea. I would never use bleach as I have hedgehogs in the garden.
    • Solis
    • By Solis 25th May 17, 2:35 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Solis
    There are a lot of professional home & garden services here - CoolJonny.com. Many of them provide cleaning. CoolJonny is like eBay or Amazon but instead of buying goods, you as a customer buy services. You just choose the service you want to get and look for the service provider you like the most. Service providers have their own profiles, similar to Facebook, where there are displayed service provider's avatar, name, working hours and days, description of his/her company and services, and reviews by other customers. When you found the service provider you like, you just order their service by choosing date, time, and place when and where you want to get your service. Try it!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,215Posts Today

6,856Users online

Martin's Twitter