Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 26th Oct 06, 4:03 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    The Debt Free Roll Of Honour
    • 26th Oct 06, 4:03 PM
    The Debt Free Roll Of Honour 26th Oct 06 at 4:03 PM
    Update Jan 2018. We started this Debt Free Roll of Honour back in 2006 and since then there have been some fabulously inspiring stories, which you'll see if you read below.

To read the most recent debt-free announcements click the double arrow above to head to the last page of the discussion

Back to Martin's original post...

---

Welcome to the Debt-Free Roll of Honour.

This is for Debt-Free Wannabees who are no longer Wannabees.

Please report

a. The date of your lightbulb moment
    b. Debts at their highest
    c. Debt-Free Date
    d. Your one perl of wisdom.
    e. Links to the MSE guides that helped you
    f. Which forum threads helped you
    g. And if you had a debt diary on the Debt-Free Wannabe board (DFW), a link to it

And huge congratulations

Martin

PS Please no one else post - let's keep this a pure record of successes

PPS Please come back to let us know Debt-free No Longer Wannabes - What they did next" discussion to tell us what you've been up to."

Past Debt Free No Longer Wannabes (huge congratulations)

2016 TOTAL: 85

OxfordGirl, datlex, sentientpoet, austonic, muppets, NJS2016, Bipolar_debt, monz, ab_saver, Money_Muppet , retiredandskint, lambda, Princesssparkle, Onmyway2, Seasidegal58, QuietOne, Willowpop, daveg10, NewcastlePaul, eco farmer, SpekySquarehead, C&S, Gazza1964, naff123, pineconesjay, lsmcal1984, blu3sky, villemo84, mesci, Honeylife, Karma67, timefortea, chocoholic_chick, purpleposting4, dangerpowers, e4rub, starnac, Carviscocker, Fender4, dolly84, Brightspark87, hoglet121, Bored, devon-tony, mrsbee17, Tony_, stekka, Kate_fixing_it, Gladioli, HornetSaver, sistercas, Tiglath, moneycantbuyyouhappiness, RosaBernicia, Catwoman_2015, Baldybear, Muhren, please-let-me-be-lucky, gig11, skilly, heartbreak_star, Frith, CornishMaid, tizerbelle, Ronoir,
    takingcareofthepennies, Mysteek, Sillygal, laura84gr, medusasmummy, depressed_but_determined, Soph86, princess_pea, bookworm262, Hobbes1, glentoran99, NoStrangerToDebt, CapricornLass, Serafine, 2spicy, mc2705, AshB123, koselur, mothernerd, BrandNewStart[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

2015 TOTAL: 115!!

nannygladys, beckle_82, neuromancer, Alpedro, Aphidgirl, LotsToDo, stewby, Pepperoni, Squarehead76, nonnynonny, danant, DML1954, mrshughes86, Blinky2010s, Rachiedabbler70, Playing with Fire, katy_ann, lexbubbles, diamonds, andy1886, stiltoncheese, looby1975, shofer, Karb, kittypimms, Growurown, Want_to_be_free, crazy_cat_lady, David123456, FinallyGettingFree, malnuman, ShirePiskie, black cat, boring1, kremmen, BlueEyedGirl, antonia86, ice_babe, Apple Crumble, LittleDutchgirl, natsplatnat, her_welshness, dads_albums, supersavor, KONG, HomeAlone, kerryallc71, fredtheguava, xxxJOJOxxx, The Only Girl, uncreative, NeverAgain2, Penny Bridge, boot13t, lemanie, gree0115, cakeforbrains, hydrangea, Cynical Monkey, tripled, ShopaholicNumber1, Lwsi, CrazyKitten, Nargleblast, kirstle99, Polly Wolly Doodle, SMGee, D3P0, MissShoes, kb_soma, Chimping, StrawberryJam132, maria3104, happycrafter, bassitt74, Ratison, GingerFurball, Tammy2, NewlyFrugalMumof3, cottage_retreatist, boucho11, *zippy*, MNM2903, allydowd, joee, Zabki, 7roland8, naughtymonkey, babyplum, NorthernMonkey1, Time to face the music, melwright, Daerve, johnboyinsole, Ali-OK, thewalrussaid, kika, Skinnylatte, fevlo, Seanymph, Smedley, poohbear59, happybunny86, spot3, xxlouisexx56 , Idollic, hannah2010, MrWillyWonka, Getmeoutofdebt, powellypowelly, AlexLK, Laconic, cluckyhen, rising from the ashes, KirstyO

2014 TOTAL: 92

2013 TOTAL: 81

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 12-01-2018 at 12:07 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 91
    • zippygeorgeandben
    • By zippygeorgeandben 1st Sep 18, 10:44 AM
    • 930 Posts
    • 1,273 Thanks
    zippygeorgeandben

1st September 2016 however I didn't know I needed a LBM until the first few posts from MSErs on my sticky, politely asking me to think about whether I really needed that consolidation loan. So actually maybe the LBM happened within the first two pages of my sticky, not sure which MSEr should get the actual credit though!

£19766.82 (however I will also add that I have paid off my student loans during this time also, which was £3856.72) so you could say the total debt was 23623.54.

c. Debt free date

31st August 2018

d. Your one pearl of wisdom

You must ensure that you track your spending EVERY SINGLE DAY. It's like dieting, if you take your eye off the ball and the bigger picture/long term goals, it is so easy to fall back into the cycle which brought you onto MSE in the first place.

N/A

DFW boards and loans - if anything just for a wake up call and realising that others were starting a journey of discovery and I was already on that road.

g. And if you had a debt diary on the Debt-Free Wannabe board (DFW), a link to it

I didn't have a diary but my sticky at the top of the loan board ended up kind of being my diary. It's just ironic that I wanted to be a DFW but didn't know at the time! (Hence it being on the loan thread, which is pretty funny actually!)
    Last edited by zippygeorgeandben; 01-09-2018 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Adding more information
    Savings End September 2018
    September 2018 £986.09
    October 2018
    November 2018
    December 2018
    January 2019
    • Standingtall
    • By Standingtall 10th Sep 18, 12:51 PM
    • 577 Posts
    • 892 Thanks
    Standingtall
    Whoop whoop .... made it

Answers
    LBM was back in 2012. I had been promoted at work and was told I was been flown out to Argentina in two days! I was struggling to work out how to pay for my expenses before I could claim them back! My credit cards were all full and, although I had a works Amex it did not work everywhere!
    My debts were around gbp19k
    I then contacted PayPlan who were recommended by a counselling line available through work. They set me up paying gbp100 per month to start. Debt free date was somewhere around 2025 (minimum). I kept this up and just increased around gbp20 a month. Then, due to a change in circumstance (remarried so two household incomes) I have been able to blast the debt this final year at gbp450 per month

My pearl of wisdom is to allow yourself enough money to live. I will not lie when I say I exaggerated my expenses. I thought initially that I would be paying this back into retirement and there was no way I was going to have my time with my children spoilt. I massaged the figures shamelessly and justified doing so by knowing I could have gone for an IVA or full and final settlements rather than choosing to pay my debts in full. Remember a DMP is an informal agreement so you do have some leeway. I think my creditors accepted by plan simply because I always managed to increase it annually.

The entire site has been my saviour and Martin Lewis my god.

I do have a credit card now but the balance never exceeds my savings. I use it for the protection it provides rather than it making me itís prisoner.

Good luck everyone xxxxxxxx

ST xx
    LBM August 2011. DFD somewhere post 20252022
    Total debts October 2011 circa GBP 17,700 September 2018 GBP 0 DMP with Payplan
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    • cookyy2k
    • By cookyy2k 24th Sep 18, 6:00 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    cookyy2k
    Finally free!

Sometime in March 2013, when I realised I could not afford food and none of my "shift it around" tricks would work to stop the calls/letters anymore.

About £11k

c. Debt-Free Date
    08/09/2018

d. Your one pearl of wisdom.
    Stick to your budget no matter what is going on around you. Learn to say no to your mate's spontaneous invites to things like the pub where the budget gets blown.

None really, I just checked back often and read about other's journeys.

See above.

I didn't.
    • BillEatsCrisps
    • By BillEatsCrisps 6th Oct 18, 2:53 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    BillEatsCrisps
    I have paid my last credit card debt off today
    It does feel good!
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 13th Oct 18, 7:12 PM
    • 2,284 Posts
    • 23,405 Thanks
    csarina2
    Cannot remember my exact LBM some years ago, decided about 2 years ago to start paying extra on my cc and a loan I had.....all clear by july 2017!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,501Posts Today

7,063Users online

Martin's Twitter