Early retirement at 55

I am thinking about early retirement at 55 . We have 4 rental properties giving us a income of £2200 per month plus we have savings of £145000 is this enough to live off.

Comments

• youngie
    youngie Posts: 999 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    depends on your lifestyle
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,156 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    How much are you living on now other than costs that wont apply after you retire?
    203846930 Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    As long as you have good insurance on your rentals I don't see why no, your income is 10 times my dads and so is your savings and he is doing very well on what he gets.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Are the rental properties owned outright or are there mortgage payments which could go up if interest rates were to rise and would need paying even in periods of unoccupancy?

Have you checked your national insurance history for state pension entitlement?
  • Anonymous101
    Anonymous101 Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    For some people yes, for others no.
    We need to know your total expenses per year and your pension situation to be able to answer more fully. You've not given us a full picture with that info.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You haven't provided enough information for anyone to offer any real advice to you.

How much do you need to live on in retirement? Have you done a budget for your retirement? Lots of work-related costs drop away in retirement, but you also need money to entertain yourself.

What pension entitlement do you have from workplace pensions and from the state pension?

Do you have a view as to what you and your wife/partner's life expectancy is going to be. You need a lot more money if you expect to live to 100 than you do if you expect to live to 60.

Are you happy increasing the rent to your tenants by the rate of inflation? Personally I find this a deplorable practice, as a landlord's costs generally do not increase in line with inflation; only their costs for items such as maintenance actually go up. Their cost of capital is fixed, so landlords that increase their rent in line with inflation are just profiteering. Far to many letting agent push landlords to ask for a rent increase because this increases the amount that the letting agent receives - it's pure self-interest on their part.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • BarleyGB
    BarleyGB Posts: 234 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Have you any other pension provision, is the £2200 rental income post tax?

Have you considered the impact of a future labour goverment giving strong indications of weighing down heavily on landlords. The possibility of rent caps or a massively punitive tax regime?
  • Alexland wrote: »
    Are the rental properties owned outright or are there mortgage payments which could go up if interest rates were to rise and would need paying even in periods of unoccupancy?

Have you checked your national insurance history for state pension entitlement?
    Houses are mortgage free.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    As long as you have good insurance on your rentals I don't see why no, your income is 10 times my dads and so is your savings and he is doing very well on what he gets.

Your dad lives on £220 a month?
  • BarleyGB wrote: »
    Have you any other pension provision, is the £2200 rental income post tax?

Have you considered the impact of a future labour goverment giving strong indications of weighing down heavily on landlords. The possibility of rent caps or a massively punitive tax regime?
    £2200 is post tax and we do have personal pensions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure