Contribution based ESA query

Just wondered if anyone could help. I'm on contribution based ESA, in the support group and have been for quite a few years. I informed the relevant people when my partner moved in 7 years ago and same again when we married 5 years ago. Neither of our circumstances have changed (he has always been employed in the same job and has never claimed any type of support benefit) and neither of us have ever claimed income support or income related ESA.

However, Saturday, I had a letter from the job centre saying that my husband has to attend a meeting with a work coach to help him prepare for work in the future as apparently I am claiming for him as a partner and if he doesn't attend they'll stop part of my ESA payment.

I called them and said the ESA claim was only for me, he's been working constantly since I met him and nothing has changed and the woman got quite shirty and rude saying that it's a standard letter that goes out, started asking about his working situation and they just want to identify who he is as they have no proof?? To me, this just doesn't sound right and he's going to have to take time off work to go and be told to find a job by the sounds of it, especially as they've asked me to sign a consent form to talk about my benefit so they can talk to him about work. Am I just being really cynical and they do just want to see his passport, even though he's not claiming anything from them, or are they just being difficult and refusing to admit they've made a mistake and are wasting his time? I think I'm probably overly worrying as the staff in this particular place are well known for being rude and judgemental towards people that go in.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• sportsarb
    sportsarb Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    How much do you get per week before any deductions?

We’re you previously on Incapacity Benefit and moved on to ESA?
  • Newman2
    Newman2 Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Doesn't CB ESA stop after 6 months and change to IB ESA?
  • sportsarb
    sportsarb Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Newman2 wrote: »
    Doesn't CB ESA stop after 6 months and change to IB ESA?
    Those in the support group aren’t time limited. Entitlement would cease after 12 months of work related activity group.
  • sportsarb wrote: »
    How much do you get per week before any deductions?

We’re you previously on Incapacity Benefit and moved on to ESA?

I get £111.65 per week, no deductions. I used to be on incapacity benefit but they moved me to ESA years ago now. After over an hour in a queue, I spoke to someone from ESA instead of the job centre who basically said they haven't asked to job centre to do this at all (as the job centre claimed) and by the looks of it the job centre want my husband in to try and get him into full time work, despite us having an underlying entitlement to carers allowance (we also have 2 boys with autism) as he had to go part time as my health got worse because I need more help than I used to.

Oh well, looks like he'll just have to go in and explain all this and hope his meeting is with someone reasonable.

Still not sure why the first person made up that they just want to check his identity, but never mind!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure