Paypal fiasco.

Options
johnbhoy10
johnbhoy10 Posts: 452 Forumite
Ok. Where to start here. On Saturday night we bought a phone on ebay for my daughters birthday. It was £679.99 on ebay but converting nectar points to ebay vouchers (£315) and using the current PRO10 code (£50) we managed to get it down to £314.99.

Then pretty soon after purchase my wife gets a text from Paypal asking her to authorise a payment for £679.99 so i told her say no which now looks like the wrong decision. Then went into Paypal and saw that ebay had only had asked them correctly for £314.99 but this purchase was now under investigation and monies would be refunded. Now in Paypal this purchase is still showing as £314.99 but i know it will be cancelled as they've told us this would be so and also it's been credited back to my c/card that is linked to Paypal.

It doesn't end there. There is now a positiive figure of £679.99 that looks like a payment from Paypal to Ebay. I've been dealing with offshore call centres all the time over this apart from yesterday when i got a bloke in Dublin from ebay. We have received a despatch email from Musicmagpie and also a Royal mail one.

The Irish guy at ebay, and i'm inclined to agree with him, said just wait a couple of days for things to settle with regards to this £679.99 paypal figure and see where this leaves my ebay account. My main concern is these ebay vouchers and getting them back should we need to reorder?? Anyone had similar??

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you spoken to Paypal to explain?
  • johnbhoy10
    Options
    Have you spoken to Paypal to explain?

Thanks. Yeah, i tried!! I spoke to their offshore call centres on Sunday and Monday and other than the information above i got absolutely nothing from them.

It's now become even more bizarre. My credit card linked to payal is still sitting the same.....with the charge and the charge back there so that's even.

HOWEVER, we received the phone today and now also have the nectar vouchers sitting back in our ebay account?? So we have a phone and still have our vouchers and have paid nothing for it so far?? I don't know where this will end up??

This +£679.99 must have gone from Paypal to ebay and caused ebay to recredit vouchers (£315) when they looked at it. I'm guessing they would send the balance back to Paypal??
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    I would get in touch with the seller and explain - ask them if they have the payment transaction ID. Unfortunately PayPal payments can take a while to clear and credit. Ultimately the seller will need paying and they have 6 years to make a claim from you.....
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I would just sit and wait, keep an eye on all your accounts.

Does your daughter have insurance for a phone of that value, I hope the phone is worth it.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • johnbhoy10
    Options
    Thanks. I agree, obviously, the seller will need paying and can't actually believe we've recieved this thing. This is a right !!!!-up and personally i'm blaming Paypal. Surely Musicmagpie or ebay will contact us sooner rather than later about payment here!!

We've cancelled all the linked cards to my wife's Paypal at the moment. I've absolutely no problem paying the price for it but i want to know about it first if they come looking for cash. I've pretty much lost all faith in Paypal's systems at the moment.

Also, kazwookie, i actually agree 100% with your sentiment about the phone. It's 2nd hand at that price, believe it or not, and got it with the vouchers for a ''decent'' price for a pristine (not checked it yet) iphone x. My plan is to open a Nationwide Flexplus account as that will cover it and other things too!!

It's a ridiculous amount of money but we held back when she was younger and was one if not the last in her primary class to get one. Peer pressure is a terrible thing. This will be her last from us. She's 16 so the next one will be paid for by her and we'll be telling her!!
  • johnbhoy10
    edited 6 May 2019 at 7:17PM
    Options
    Still sitting with phone and we've got the ebay vouchers from nectar (£315) sitting in ebay.

I'm still of the opinion this transfer in Paypal is what's caused all this and don't why they did it to be honest.

So, in summary-

1) we buy phone using PRO10 code on ebay for w/end 20/4 (£50) and
    also vouchers converted from nectar (£315) so get phone for
    £314.99 down from £679.99.

2) Paypal then ask to authorise £679.99 payment and we refuse.

3) Check Paypal and find out Ebay were correctly only asking for
    £314.99. Phone Paypal to complain and they tell us it's too late and
    we'll need to reorder. I tell them i'm not happy as we can't as now
    nectar/ebay vouchers are obviously not in my ebay account anymore
    and we better get them back. Offshore call centre at Paypal and talking to a
    brick wall to be honest.

4) Our linked card to Paypal then shows a payment of £314.99 and then
    a credit back for same amount. I assume that's correct as Paypal say
    order has been cancelled.

5) Now the fun begins- we notice in Paypal a transfer of £679.99 but it's
    not come from any of our funds?? This is exactly how it shows-

eBay - PayPal
    + £679.99
    MONEY_TRANSFER

6) Ebay/Nectar vouchers then reappear back in our ebay account.

7) We then receive phone!!

So, we've still £315 in vouchers in ebay and the phone?? We've contacted ebay a couple of times but no response from over a week ago. My guess is that since transfer from Paypal they've used that to pay seller and recredit our account??

Is there anyway of converting ebay vouchers back to nectar points guys?? We're obviously aware we'll need to pay for it but i don't want to pay £679.99 cash and have £315 vouchers sitting in ebay (not that useful for us as we don't use it much) when someone sorts this mess out and they come looking for payment.

My daughters birthday is this Thursday and i don't want riduculous scenario of having to send this phone back just to reorder exactly the same one.
  • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    Options
    johnbhoy10 wrote: »

5) Now the fun begins- we notice in Paypal a transfer of £679.99 but it's
    not come from any of our funds?? This is exactly how it shows-

eBay - PayPal
    + £679.99
    MONEY_TRANSFER

This is the only bit I don't get.

Have Paypal paid eBay £679.99. If so do you have a negative Paypal balance or any pending transactions on your card(s) link with Paypal?
  • johnbhoy10
    edited 6 May 2019 at 7:15PM
    Options
    This is the only bit I don't get.

Have Paypal paid eBay £679.99. If so do you have a negative Paypal balance or any pending transactions on your card(s) link with Paypal?

Thanks.

Yeah....same here...i really don't get it either!! No negative balance in Paypal, wallet shows as £0 which i would expect as we don't have Paypal Credit. Nothing pending either and i have removed linked cards for the moment as i don't want them just pulling from any card without us knowing!!

ps- i have however since found out that we can't convert ebay vouchers back to nectar points if i've read it correctly!! Not over the moon about that to be honest.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    johnbhoy10 wrote: »
    Thanks.

Yeah....same here...i really don't get it either!! No negative balance in Paypal, wallet shows as £0 which i would expect as we don't have Paypal Credit. Nothing pending either and i have removed linked cards for the moment as i don't want them just pulling from any card without us knowing!!

ps- i have however since found out that we can't convert ebay vouchers back to nectar points if i've read it correctly!! Not over the moon about that to be honest.

Paypal credit is nothing to do with it.

As for the vouchers, why are you trying to get them out of ebay? Are you trying to keep everything and pay nothing?

The seller/paypal/ebay/nectar (whomever is the loser here) have 6 years to pursue you for the debt.......
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    What did they each say?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills