We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Birds in my garden

Options
longwalks1
longwalks1 Posts: 3,737 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 17 April 2019 at 5:57PM in Gardening
Probably not a very exciting post for many, but having only started feeding in the last year or so, I'm very pleased with all the visitors we now get, including:

Sparrows, blackbirds, starlings, collared doves, blue tits, great tits, robins, siskins, goldfinches, bullfinches, chaffinches, pied wagtails, yellowhammers, jackdaws, several ring necked parakeets and occasionally we see a red kite circling way up high

Not bad for being 20 minutes outside of London :T

Comments

• unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Lots round our way, it's fantastic to see the birds of prey circling around looking for some snap. I'm also a big fan of crows, we live on the crow side of the woods, the magpies have the lower wood

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • unrecordings
    Options
    ...and wait till the squirrels cotton on to the free food :-)

• sebloak
    sebloak Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have a tiny enclosed garden that regularly gets; Dove, Pigeon, Blackbird, Starlings, Robin, Dunnock, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Long Tail Tits, Blue Tits, Great Tits, Wren, occasional Coal Tit. And also during the chimney nesting season a regular pair of Seagulls. Also get Bats flying around in late summer evenings.
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Great selection of birds, wish I had as many in my garden
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    A neighbourhood cat took one of my bullfinches yesterday.:(
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We sit on a small ridge among open farm land, so birds close to the house tend to be the usual suspects which can cope with that sort of field & hedge environment. However, we also have a small valley with copses and old oaks that runs down to larger woodland and that acts as a transit route for many animals.

Some visitors, like woodpeckers, are rarely seen, but those leave evidence behind. Then there are the opportunists, like the hawks, that are literally here and gone in 10 seconds, maybe 2 or 3 times a day, so blink and you miss them. The buzzards hang around much more and don't worry about humans, tending to follow any farming activity to see what it throws up.

We time summer by the swallows and house martins which are arriving now. They'll soon shift the flies that have been numerous this year, with its warm winter/spring!

We put out a water supply safe from our cats, but don't feed in an average winter, preferring to grow things that act as a food supply.

Yesterday, I heard and saw a skylark for the first time in some years. I also heard a very distant cuckoo; another bird that's been missing here for ages.
  • Kinski
    Kinski Posts: 874 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    We back in to a golf course and have a wide variety of birds visiting including woodpeckers that love the fat balls, we also have one male pheasant and four female pheasants that visit, the male is a daily visitor and I can get quite close to him.
  • longwalks1
    longwalks1 Posts: 3,737 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I lov all your replies people, I’m really enjoying bird feeding and watching already

Quick question.. bird in the garden tonight, 8:50pm so it’s dark out, making the most noise I’ve ever heard.. chirps, cheeps, shreaks the lot. It was beautifully loud and almost sounded like an early 1980’s video game �� any ideas what it could of been? It must of sang for 5 or more minutes, and so many different sounds - it really was a pleasure to listen to
  • unrecordings
    edited 21 April 2019 at 9:00PM
    Options
    starling ?

edited to add: too late actually, maybe a robin - I just heard one going for it for a couple of mins

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    britishboy wrote: »
    Quick question.. bird in the garden tonight, 8:50pm so it’s dark out, making the most noise I’ve ever heard.. chirps, cheeps, shreaks the lot. It was beautifully loud and almost sounded like an early 1980’s video game �� any ideas what it could of been? It must of sang for 5 or more minutes, and so many different sounds - it really was a pleasure to listen to
    Blackbirds often sing at dusk, telling others "This is my territory!" and sometimes mimicking sounds they hear, like ringtones. Starlings and thrushes can do it too.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback