Gas and electricity tariff question from first-time home owner

Hello everyone,

I am a first-time home owner so I am feeling quite overwhelmed when searching for tariffs and working out my best option. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. In particular, I have the following query:

The home I have purchased has EDF for the gas and electricity supplier (pre-payment meter). My dad had advised me to switch to bill payment, as he believed it would be cheaper. After talking to EDF, they advised that pre-payment is actually a bit cheaper than paying via bills.

I'm currently on Blue Plus Fixed Pre-Payment September 2020. Prices are inclusive of VAT and no exit fee should I wish to change. These are my prices:
Electricity: 15.33 pence per unit. 31.4 pence standing charge
Gas: 3.67 pence per KW hour. 28.55 pence standing charge.

Do you think I have got a good deal here, or, it's time for me to look elsewhere?
I would be immensely grateful for any responses.

Elma :)

Comments

• Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You might get more responses if you posted on the right board. This is "LPG, Heating Oil, Solid & Other Fuels".
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Oops. Thanks for pointing out!
  • Seejuu
    Seejuu Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I'm having the same challenge as Elma2019. In the forum list you find: Forums > Household & Travel > Energy > LPG, Heating Oil, Solid & Other Fules. If electricity isn't 'Other Fuels' then where is Electricity/Cheap Energy Club forum please?
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,097 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I agree Seejuu and Elma - the thread heading is stupid. Why the main thread doesn't have Electricity and Gas I don't understand - E&G are more common than LPG and oil etc.

Seejuu - for Electricity and Gas you set up a thread under Energy
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • PaschalFun
    PaschalFun Posts: 241 Forumite
    Elma2019 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

I am a first-time home owner so I am feeling quite overwhelmed when searching for tariffs and working out my best option. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. In particular, I have the following query:

The home I have purchased has EDF for the gas and electricity supplier (pre-payment meter). My dad had advised me to switch to bill payment, as he believed it would be cheaper. After talking to EDF, they advised that pre-payment is actually a bit cheaper than paying via bills.

I'm currently on Blue Plus Fixed Pre-Payment September 2020. Prices are inclusive of VAT and no exit fee should I wish to change. These are my prices:
    Electricity: 15.33 pence per unit. 31.4 pence standing charge
    Gas: 3.67 pence per KW hour. 28.55 pence standing charge.

Do you think I have got a good deal here, or, it's time for me to look elsewhere?
    I would be immensely grateful for any responses.

Elma :)

Consult a comparison site. By running 2 options, either as a PPM customer or a credit meter customer, you will see that there are many better tariffs for credit metered customers.
    By contrast, there are very few tariffs available for PPM customers, and they are usually just the supplier's variable tariff, often aligned closely to the regulator's imposed cap.

It doesn't matter for comparison purposes what suppluer or tariff you say you are currently on - what is important is your supply region (address) and your annual usage in kWh. You are then looking for the cheapest tariff for you from the list shown.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure