Boiler quote

Our boiler is 27 years old and two radiators don’t work so it needs updating. Had two quotes
From plumbers
1 was for 3400 2 was for 3100 3 was 2400
The cheapest was British Gas which surprised me. BG do 2 years interest free credit which appeals to me. Also DG do a years cover on the boiler and heating for a year free. So do I go with BG or stick with the independent plumber.

Comments

• Toby09
    Toby09 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Is it a straight swap or not? Also what part of the country are you in? Location plays a big part in price.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Is the BG quote conditional on anything? There is a chance that they reserve the right to charge for anything that they find when doing the work, so it may not be a fixed price quote.

They might not have priced in a power-flush of the existing system. If they aren't power-flushing the existing system, then the new boiler warranty won't be valid and the boiler could have a very short life.

If they haven't omitted something from the quote that the plumbers have included (like power-flushing and replacing the two radiators), and the quote is a fixed price quote, I would go for BG. But do you need a new boiler and two new radiators, or would a powerflush (which costs about £450) fix the system?
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure