what are the best value brand 50 - 60" TV these days?

Options
Hi,

I'm looking for a ~50 - 60" TV, UHD for my living room with no urgency. I have always used both Google Chrome and Amazon Fire Stick on my TV and I suspect I would continue to use it. A wireless screen feature would be good in order to use a laptop with the screen.

What are the current top brands (reliable) TVs for around £500 or less?

Thanks

Comments

• Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you look on the Richer Sounds website and refine the search to 55" 4K TV's for upto £500 you will see that Samsung, LG, Sony etc all offer TV's at this price point. They are all smart TV's so will offer similar features as your current Fire Stick and Chrome Stick but may not offer everything you use them for.

Screen mirroring is usually a standard feature on smart TV's but it's not always very smooth considering it works over Wi-Fi.

They are all low end TV's so i can't imagine any of them will offer much difference in picture quality.

Once you decide on one it's definitely worth ordering from Richer Sounds for the free 6 year warranty.
  • bowf
    bowf Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    Avoid the Hisense ones, they're rubbish. They're not even cheaper than the known brands, so I don't know why anyone would choose one and I'd say it's waste of time Richer Sounds stocking them.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Wait a bit we are not at the bottom of the current price cycle yet.

Have a good read of AVforums and shortlist some TV that should hit the £500 point

Check out the UI they are quite different.

Last year the sweet point for a 1/2 decent mid range 55" was around £700.
    Should be less this year as the OLED are now under £1k they were £1200 last year.

If you want to get a decent HDR picture £500 will probably not be enough.
  • mobileron
    mobileron Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bowf,interesting to hear your comments on Hisense tv,John Lewis were trying to sell me one recently.
    I went for the Sony at Rsound.

I presume you have the Hisense,what are the problems.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    mobileron wrote: »
    Bowf,interesting to hear your comments on Hisense tv,John Lewis were trying to sell me one recently.
    I went for the Sony at Rsound.

I presume you have the Hisense,what are the problems.

Unless things have changed I thought Hisense had a very good reputation for the picture, maybe not so much sound or interface. Of course if you're plugging in a Virgin or Sky box etc and use an external soundbar at least (recommended with almost all flat screen TV's) then it won't matter at all as you're using the TV as basically a monitor screen for which they're supposedly very good value.
  • technopersia
    Options
    Wait a bit we are not at the bottom of the current price cycle yet.

Have a good read of AVforums and shortlist some TV that should hit the £500 point

Check out the UI they are quite different.

Last year the sweet point for a 1/2 decent mid range 55" was around £700.
    Should be less this year as the OLED are now under £1k they were £1200 last year.

If you want to get a decent HDR picture £500 will probably not be enough.

When is a good time to buy a TV?
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,508 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Unless things have changed I thought Hisense had a very good reputation for the picture, maybe not so much sound or interface. Of course if you're plugging in a Virgin or Sky box etc and use an external soundbar at least (recommended with almost all flat screen TV's) then it won't matter at all as you're using the TV as basically a monitor screen for which they're supposedly very good value.

Have to agree -I've seen a 55" Hisense U7A and the picture was extremely good when fed a signal from a Sky Q box -the sound seemed OK too, altho' it wasn't turned up loud on Last Night of the Proms levels or similar!:rotfl:
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    When is a good time to buy a TV?

New models start to come out mid year.
    so the first 1/2 of the year sees the end of line prices and later part of the year high prices a but drop at the usual key points like black friday.

From around now many are near their low point s but some will drift down depending on stock levels the better models often sell out.

Use price spy to look at price profiles of a few models.
    https://pricespy.co.uk/audio-video/tvs/52-70-inch--cv1322

also spend some time on AV forums to help pick your features.

not up on the details of this years model but as an example 2 set in the samsung range

https://pricespy.co.uk/audio-video/tvs/samsung-ue55nu7400--p4755031
    https://pricespy.co.uk/audio-video/tvs/samsung-ue55nu8000--p4753242

the later is the better TV but will it get much lower in price

Short list a few and see what starts happening to prices, I jumped in last year around June and some of the better models were selling out.
    prices were still dropping a bit on what stock was left so there were some relative bargains to be had(either money or getting a better set for the money)

and as above this gets good review but is a bit over your budget @ £550 in RS
    https://pricespy.co.uk/audio-video/tvs/hisense-h55u7a--p4768943
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport