What should I ask for from my water company for failing to spot their leak messing me around?

A couple of weeks ago my water company (South Staffordshire Water) noticed that I was using a lot more water that I should be using (2.5 liters per min). The water board engineer said that the leak was on my garden rather than the pavement so I had to pay to have it fixed. Their engineer was adamant that it was under my garden so I had to pay for it.

I called the Home Insurance out who replaced the pipework from where my garden starts and also blocked off the pipe but the pipe was still leaking meaning the leak is under the pavement somewhere from the stop tap to where my garden is.

Given that the water board has essentially meant I have had to make a claim on my home insurance that didn't need to happen affecting my NCB, failed to identify a leak that is their responsibility, caused my garden and driveway to be dug up unnecessarily, wasted a lot of water that I am going to be billed for as its after the stop tap but before my garden and just generally messed me around what should I ask them for in return?

They have offered a "leakage allowance" however I think their failings have been more serious than offering me a few quid off my next bill.

Comments

• Lisa_Tom
    Lisa_Tom Posts: 7 Forumite
    MyUsername wrote: »
    A couple of weeks ago my water company (South Staffordshire Water) noticed that I was using a lot more water that I should be using (2.5 liters per min). The water board engineer said that the leak was on my garden rather than the pavement so I had to pay to have it fixed. Their engineer was adamant that it was under my garden so I had to pay for it.

I called the Home Insurance out who replaced the pipework from where my garden starts and also blocked off the pipe but the pipe was still leaking meaning the leak is under the pavement somewhere from the stop tap to where my garden is.

Given that the water board has essentially meant I have had to make a claim on my home insurance that didn't need to happen affecting my NCB, failed to identify a leak that is their responsibility, caused my garden and driveway to be dug up unnecessarily, wasted a lot of water that I am going to be billed for as its after the stop tap but before my garden and just generally messed me around what should I ask them for in return?

They have offered a "leakage allowance" however I think their failings have been more serious than offering me a few quid off my next bill.

Take their 'leakage allowance', but also ask for the oncost to be paid due to your loss of NCB, and demand for some compo due to all the stress and upset caused.

Let your insurance company know the full facts. They may want to take their own action against the errant party.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    How did SS water know do you have a meter ??
    If the meter reads a high usage its reporting usage between the meter and your home .
  • MyUsername
    MyUsername Posts: 87 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I do have a meter yes, I have spoken to my Home Insurance Provider and they have said in principle I should be able to claim back my NCB and they will look to recover the costs from the water board.
  • MyUsername
    MyUsername Posts: 87 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My water company has said that there is no leak on their side, I think however it's a faulty meter but they have said it's not at first they claimed they had tested it but then they said that they hadn't but they didn't think there was a fault and I would have to pay to get it checked.

I have my home insurance plumbers out again next week so it could get interesting.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure