We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The all new 2019 growing your own thread!

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,423
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    SO this should also be the time to mention, don't water them ntil they've sprouted, the compost should be moist, not wet and if it looks like it's getting a bit sry, spray some from one of those hand held spray things or dribble some on it.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • baggins11
    baggins11 Posts: 274
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I am loving the inventive ways people are heating their seed beds!

I have lots of seedlings coming up in both the greenhouse and in the house. All nicely labelled but I am feeling a bit out of control of how many seeds sown and timings. I just keep doing a few everyday without writing down anything. I think next year I will aim to be more systematic!

I have some melon seedlings that have come up lovely but looking quite sturdy already - I think I might have sown them to early (think jack and the beanstalk..)
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    All my tomatoes are up...UP UP and I am having to transplant them and bury their legs really deeply. Chilies coming along and now I have to put okra, peppers, asparagus and celery etc. etc. in the propagators. Next year I will have gro lights and a warmer greenhouse. At present everything is in the house but I move things out during the day when the light is really good. I didn't manage to get the bubble wrap up early enough this year and will have to do it at the back end. This is such an exciting time for growers, but the weather is SO changeable it's hard to find the steady centre ground. Just really relieved I am not sufficiently organised enough to have got my polytunnel up because by now it would be on the other side of the Humber!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Oh boy, do I have seedling envy! I'm just coming to the end of two weeks of catsitting, so I've planted **nothing**. And when I get back, I've got a reunion to go to, then a week catsitting, then a kitchen renovation then a Sun caravan holiday. Weird. My winter has been so monotonous and boring, and life has suddenly conspired to rob me of my garden and my (potential) seedlings!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • -taff wrote: »
    SO this should also be the time to mention, don't water them ntil they've sprouted, the compost should be moist, not wet and if it looks like it's getting a bit sry, spray some from one of those hand held spray things or dribble some on it.

Ummmmmm....me thinks this could be a BIG problem :).

2 of the 4 propagators got sodden whilst they were outside. The water has drained away but it could have destroyed the seeds.

Let's see if anything grows in them 2 or not. I have enough reserves in the other 3 to keep me going If the worst happens and nothing grows in them 2.

Unfortunately one of the ones that got sodden was sweetcorn, so I guess my BIG plan to mature sweetcorn this year could be in danger. O well, there is always next year :)
    :jTo be Young AGAIN!!!!...what a wonderfull thought!!!!!:rolleyes:
  • Pablosmummy
    Pablosmummy Posts: 378
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I think there's still.plenty of time to sow sweetcorn. I just had a quick check on the garden focused website and for my area it says sow the end of April so I can't imagine it being that different further south? Try putting your postcode on that website and it will tell you the best time to plant ( if you haven't already.. ignore this if you have!)
    May Grocery Challenge -£216/400
  • Slowdown
    Slowdown Posts: 571
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Pennys, I usually find my seeds don't show until 14-21 days after planting. I have no extra heat, just in trays by the back patio doors and a couple of full length windows. I put plastic sheeting underneath and water when they are looking dry. The peas are about 8 inches now but it's too windy to put them out. I'll do that later this week, under cover.

This weekend I separated out all my tomato seedlings into pots and mended the plastic sheeting on the shed roof. I also strengthened the polytunnel that had been a bit battered by the high winds.

The garden bin assessor came yesterday. He spent exactly 8 minutes looking at the compost bins, asking what I did with kitchen scraps, noting down the size of the plot and then saying he doesn't decide if I can have another bin but another group of people do. Really? He was driving a big four wheel drive thing. So how much to pay him, his petrol and then the people who yay or nay his findings? All for a bin? And that's to say nothing of the pollution caused by his massive car. Really? There has to be a better way.

I'm intending to plant more seeds indoors this week but where I'm going to put them I don't know! It looks like an indoor allotment downstairs as it is!

Happy day to all you land lovers. :)
  • Another one here that doesnt use any extra heat. Just on my table in the front window which gets the most light and sunshine. spray lightly morning and night so they dont dry out.

Went to b and q yesterday to spend my vouchers earned on line.

I bought all onion sets which I hope to have in either this week or next. Some leek seeds. A climbing rose. Some ericaceous compost, some flower bulbs, and a random buy of a white grapevine.

Bit weird as it looks like it is sealed with wax so I dont know if I have to do anything to it.
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,423
    Forumite
    I sow mine in the lean to, so it's cold, but still warmer than outide, and it warms up nicely when it's sunny.
    I'm only going to sow tomatoes ad chillies now, with some cut and come again lettuce and rocket for now.
    I would say it's a bit early for sweetcorn, the seed rots if itt's too cold or just will not germinate, leave it until half way through april. The same goes for french beans, if it's too cold, the bean will rot.
    What did you sow pennys?
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,306
    Forumite
    -taff wrote: »
    I'm only going to sow tomatoes ad chillies now, with some cut and come again lettuce and rocket for now.
    I would say it's a bit early for sweetcorn, the seed rots if itt's too cold or just will not germinate, leave it until half way through april. The same goes for french beans, if it's too cold, the bean will rot.
    What did you sow pennys?

Yes, I am with you on that - only tomatoes and chillies - planted on Sunday. Then when they need potting on (just beyond the pricking out stage, my paper pots start to break down) they move to my dilapidated greenhouse, (glass to replace then with a greenhouse heater like this . I then start the squashes, cucumbers and runners, borlotti french beans and peas (legumes 5 to a 7" pot).

I do have potatoes chitting but here in East Anglia, the soil is still very cold and there are overnight frosts. I have onion sets ready to go too but not yet. I am going to sow rocket and broad beans this week (they both like the cold (and Monty recommended Broad Beans in jobs for the weekend).

Most of my efforts are still navvying (I love Karmacat's expression for that ground-clearance work) at the moment.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 16.02% spent or £480.73/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport