Cancelling Sky, but still want record function

Comments

• pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks for everyone's replies.

Okay, so Humax is the way to go. Is there a specific one I should be looking at as I literally have no clue! And even these seem to rang from £139 up wards in Currys.

I think I will see how I manage without the whole recordable thing for a while and if I really miss it, then look into getting a box.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • If I go for Freeview, do I just need to buy a recordable box and Freeview comes through that?

I suppose initially, until I get around (if I ever do) to getting a recordable box, I just had it in my head that I would watch the free channels through my Sky box.

I think you may be getting confused by some of the replies.

Freeview is what you get via an aerial to either an external box (recordable or not) or direct to your TV.

Freesat is via a satellite dish (same as your Sky box). When your Sky subscription finishes you'll still get "Freesat from Sky" which is basically the same. Obviously the recording functions of the Sky box are turned off. BTW, you're TV may have both Freeview & Freesat built-in so you could just connect the satellite feed direct to the TV (no recording obviously).

If you don't have an aerial then I would look at the Humax Freesat recorders such as:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Humax-HDR-1100S-Freesat-Freetime-Recorder/dp/B0104SY71K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1534767892&sr=8-1&keywords=humax+freesat+recorder

It is £178 but you get what you pay for.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Depends if you want to watch stuff a few days after its been on tv or watch episodes after they aren't available on the catchup service hence you get a Freesat box.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I think I will see how I manage without the whole recordable thing for a while and if I really miss it, then look into getting a box.
    That is certainly in the spirit of money-saving,especially as the Humax option appears to be out of your price range.
    Do not forget that Catch-Up services are available for any shows you might miss on first broadcast.
  • NCC-1701
    NCC-1701 Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Go to the Humax website and have a browse to find what you want/need.

https://uk.humaxdigital.com/

They do a multitude of boxes with different functionality including refurbished ones.
  • pollyanna24
    Again, thanks everyone. I will save the £20.10 that I would have paid on the Sky subscription and most likely get some kind or recordable box in a couple of so (or sooner if I find it too annoying without). It will have paid for itself in about 9 months I reckon.

Will probably get the Humax one that is £138 which seems to be the cheapest one that have the recordable feature that I want and you can record a whole series apparently.
  • pollyanna24
    Not sure I understand the difference between Freeview and Freesat. I can get Freesat as I have a satellite dish, is this right? And I should got for Freesat as it has better coverage?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    edited 20 August 2018 at 3:32PM

Because it doesn't have a hard drive built in. How they can describe that as a PVR is beyond me.
    It's very simple: if you already have a working aerial, buy a Humax Freeview recorder. If you don't ,buy a Humax Freesat recorder, which is a straight swap for your Sky box.
    Or you can continue to view all the free-to-air channels on the Sky box, but you won't be able to record, or play back existing recordings, which are encrypted.
    Freeview is a terrestial service, Freesat is a satellite service. The channel line up is very similar. The coverage on Freeview depends on your location and local transmitter., whereas you already know you can get satellite reception.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Tammykitty
    Tammykitty Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    At one stage were charging £5 a month to keep the recording (and live pause) function - so perhaps this is a possibility?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Sky charge £10 a month to retain the PVR functions. It's pointless, as within a year you will have paid more than the cost of the Humax.
    OP, buy from Humax Direct, JL, or Richer Sounds. Not Currys please!
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport