Glasses Buying Cost Cutting Plan Article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• raeble
    raeble Posts: 911 Forumite
    Options
    Funny how we seem to have a load of opticians on this thread warning people about the evils of buying glasses online. I went into Specsavers a couple of years back the cheapest pair of glasses frames that suited me were £100. This is just for the frames. I then had to get the lenses. This cost me another hundred and something. I then needed another pair of glasses for the spare pair as I wear my glasses all the time. I was able to find another pair, I had to pay for the lenses again. My bill at the end of this was £347 including the eye test. It took three weeks for my glasses to be returned to the opticians and fitted.

Less than a year later the most expensive pair started falling apart. So I was on the spare pair as I couldn't get to the opticians. These hadn't been fitted properly so they were wonky. I needed to get another pair of glasses but didn't fancy forking out another £300+. When I looked on this site and saw a thread recommending goggles4u with specs at £15. I didn't see what I had to loose. I got get twenty pairs from there for what I had paid for two pairs in Specsavers.

So I got a free eye test with a voucher from D&A, asked the girl who was taking my details what my pupil distance was - they measure it for their records incase you buy a pair of glasses with them. Then I went online and bought a pair of glasses from goggles4u. This took eight days to get to me from Pakistan. Instead of the twenty one days it took in this country, the glasses also included high index lenses and coatings at no extra cost.

I have not experienced any headaches, unlike sometimes when I have bought glasses from these so called "Professionals". Professional rip off merchants is more like it. Opticians have had it all their own way for too long. Now with the internet they are finally getting serious competition.
  • loudcloud
    Options
    The problems I have talked about on this site, as I said, are passable. I do not believe that I have ever stated that you would have problems.

Opticians have insurance. So say you have your internet glasses, you have entered all your info into the website. Your glasses arrive. You put them on and all appears fine. You get into your car and start to drive. While driving you have an accident because of a problem with your glasses.

Are you covered?????? No, probably not. If you had got your specs from a UK optician then you would have some comeback. You would only have some comeback if the specs had been supplied wrongly.

If you take your own PD then you are to blame if it is out and creates visual problems.

If someone was to come into my store and ask me to take there PD I would have to charge them £30.00 to do this. This is to cover my time, insurance and the Medical record I MUST keep of this information.

People appear to forget that glasses are a medical device.

Badly fitting glasses with incorrect measurements could POSABLEY be fatal!
  • ScoobyDooLondon_2
    Options
    I've seen a frame that I like, its a Hugo Boss frame from Specsavers which is £125 - where can I get the same frame cheaper?

I've tried a few other sites but the model numbers all seem to be different - is this one of the tricks used to ensure that we don't buy online?

http://www.specsavers.co.uk/cgi-bin/strudwick.sh/s?langid=1&pfmt=1&siteid=39&pname=frames/designer_detail.html&material=hugo&range=designer&price=&page=1&prodid=1001772
  • loudcloud
    Options
    All Specsavers frames including the designer ones are exclusive to Specsavers.

Specsavers do have there sale on at the moment so there would be 25% off the cost. The Single Vision Lenses are included in the price as well.
  • speedyjoe
    Options
    Well the last time my wife bought some glasses from Specsavers BOGOF, at about £150, for very plain rimmed specs that were quite frankly !!!!e. Neither have been comfortable, optically she says they are poor, they don't look very nice and the coatings are rubbish.

I went and got a quote for rimless glasses last year, from another high street opticians. It started at about £100 - the listed price, but soon went up - "oh you need special thinner lenses because of your prescription" blah blah "you need something else special" blah blah and in the end it was going to be over £300. Oh well I said forget it I'll stick with contacts and my old back ups.

Now last month I got two pairs of titanium, hingeless, rimless, thin lens glasses from optical4less.com (HK based) for £92 delivered, and they are fantastic. I am really really pleased, they look great and are really comfortable. Though of course they might make my head explode, and because I am obviously too dim to tell whether they allow me to see properly I may end up crashing my car but I'm willing to take my chances :-)
    Joe

As through this life you travel,
    you meet some funny men
    Some rob you with a six-gun,
    and some with a fountain pen
  • raeble
    raeble Posts: 911 Forumite
    Options
    loudcloud wrote:
    If someone was to come into my store and ask me to take there PD I would have to charge them £30.00 to do this. This is to cover my time, insurance and the Medical record I MUST keep of this information.

People appear to forget that glasses are a medical device.

Badly fitting glasses with incorrect measurements could POSABLEY be fatal!
    THIRTY QUID? You're having a laugh. When I went into D&A the girl measured my PD with an electronic device. It took her all of five seconds and you have the cheek to charge £30 for that? Not that anyone would be stupid enough to go into a store and ask for the PD without having an eye test first.

Yes they could possibly fatal but as most people get fitted and measured by a sales assistant rather than a qualified optician I don't actually see where you are going with this.

You opticians need to get into the real world where the rest of us are living, we have plenty of other pulls on our hard earned cash. We can't all afford to put aside £300 for a new pair of glasses. What are we supposed to go without to buy these extortionately priced glasses? Heating? Electricity? Council Tax? Or do you think that we shoud go without buying a new pair of glasses when our prescriptions change because we can't afford it, instead of buying a cheap pair manufacturered to a very high standard in the Far East for instance which might possibly make our brains explode.
  • loudcloud
    Options
    I have never disrespected the quality of the workmanship of glasses from the Far East. They are made to very high standards.

My point is that we are talking about your health. Do you really want to cut corners when it comes to you eyesight????

The sales assistant that took you your pd would have had extensive training to do this and would have been supervised by a Dispensing Optician. A D.O. is not the same as an optician. They deal with the glasses themselves and not finding the prescription.

As I have said. Glasses are a Medical Device. You have had your PD taken professionally.

If you read my posts I have talked about the problems you might have with you glasses if you take your PD your self, or if you enter it into the order incorrectly.

To see for your self that can happen to your vision when your PD is out you only need to look as far as a magnifying glass. When you look through on you can only see through the very center of the magnifier. If you try to look through the sides of the lens you will see that the page or what ever you are looking at will slope away and become very blurred.

This is the Prism working and is exactly the same in glasses. As I have said before the higher your prescription the worse this becomes.

You may not even notice this with glasses when you first put them on. It may take a few hours or even days for you to have any problems due to an incorrect PD. As I have said before, you may not even have any problems.
  • martinmarv
    Options
    I can't see any other mention of it, but my local Specsavers (Sutton, Surrey) is doing free eye-tests throughout December. There's a big sign in the window, so it looks like it could be nationwide.
    I had one on Saturday, and there was no pressure to buy glasses from them.
    (I would have gotten the money back from work anyway, as I work with a VDU all day, but nice to miss out on the paperwork!).
  • Former_MSE_Archna
    Options
    Hi,

Just to let you know I called Specsavers press office to see if it was a nationwide offer but sadly it's not. :( Do post if the deal is on in your area though.

Archna
  • chrishook
    Options
    With an improved brochure that now crucially specifies the suitability of a frame for different lens types and a reasonably priced home trial service that allows you to ensure a particular frame is suitable prior to purchase, I would have no hesitation in recommending glassesdirect.co.uk to anyone. The range has also been extended to include designer frames for those with such tastes. I have used the home trial service and I have found it to be fast and efficient. It’s not a question of being tight, it’s basic common sense. High Street prices are a complete and utter rip off and at long last here is a professional value for money solution!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback