VAT under-charged

Hello there, I wonder if anyone knows the answer to a VAT query I have: I, as a consumer, had been invoiced the incorrect VAT amount on an invoice back in January by a company (under-charged).
I didn't notice at the time and now, three months later, they suddenly amended the invoice I already paid in full at the time and asking for the outstanding VAT amount.
Since this was their mistake, do I have to pay this now? Would be grateful for any info on the matter. Thanks :)

Comments

• comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes, you did not pay the full amount, you will be due to pay the balance.
  • comeandgo wrote: »
    Yes, you did not pay the full amount, you will be due to pay the balance.

That would depend on whether or not a price was agreed in writing and if the invoice differed from this. If the only record of the amount due is the invoice and OP has paid that invoice amount then I would argue they have paid in full. If the vendor invoices the wrong amount that is their error.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Check out the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation & Additional Charges) Regulations 2013.

Traders are required to provide certain information before you are bound by a contract. Part of that information is the total price (inclusive of any taxes). A change to that information is not binding on the consumer unless they expressly agree to it.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure