Fed up of London

2»

Comments

• walwyn1978 wrote: »
    You’re right you CAN ride a 50cc scooter if you passed your test before 2001. But that doesn’t mean you SHOULD. I rode in London in exactly the way you mentioned and did my CBT after about 4 months. It made me realise the mistakes I’d made without realising and made me a better, safer rider. You’re very vulnerable on a motorbike. Spend the money on the training - you give yourself more awareness.

As an aside, I’d also look to move up to full bike licence in the fullness of time as it stops you spending money every two years to renew your CBT and the CBT, as it says, is basic and the minimum, the full imparts much more knowledge and skills. But that’s a discussion for another day.

Def with you guys on the training, like driving a car...do your lessons first! Fair point about the electric assisted bikes, i have tried them but my knee still complains, eventually. I think 50cc mopeds or electric mopeds do suit me though given the distances i need to cover etc. Anyone have any views on insurance, theft, parking, running costs? I'm sure all concerns rather than showstoppers but what's the number one issue?
  • walwyn1978
    walwyn1978 Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Def with you guys on the training, like driving a car...do your lessons first! Fair point about the electric assisted bikes, i have tried them but my knee still complains, eventually. I think 50cc mopeds or electric mopeds do suit me though given the distances i need to cover etc. Anyone have any views on insurance, theft, parking, running costs? I'm sure all concerns rather than showstoppers but what's the number one issue?
    Insurance will come down if you do a full test not just CBT. Theft is likely to happen unless you lock it up securely (chain lock round something else - lamppost etc) EVERY TIME. 50cc stuff tends not to have strong steering locks so don’t rely on that. Carole Nash is a decent broker for bike insurance and as a new biker this and the cost of setup will be your big cost. Even though you’re ‘only’ running a 50cc and don’t need to do so buy decent gloves with protection, don’t just do what a lot of kids do and ride with wool or soft gloves. If you come off/get hit, you’ll be grateful for the extra protection of proper bike gloves. Running costs on a 50cc are very low generally so that’s not a huge concern, budget a bit each month for repairs as you would with any vehicle and you’ll be all right as and when something goes wrong.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,609 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'm a newbie here - had to join when I saw this forum, hello all.
    Like I'm sure many of you have just had it up to my ears with travelling. I spend 2hrs a day commuting on the tube stuck under an armpit and then have to criss cross the city for work. Cycling is difficult for health reasons and so I'm stuck.
    Nothing new there but took the wife to Paris for a rare treat, and saw they have these electric mopeds you can hire by the minute. Bit like the dockless cycles you see now but for mopeds. Apparently they might start in London soon but need some encouragement.
    So wondered what others thought and maybe they'll see this and get a move on. I've thought about buying a moped too btw.

Cycling has got a lot better in London since the introduction of the cycle super highways if there is a good one for most of your journey.

Personally I wouldn’t want to ride a motorbike in London.
    There isn’t always room to filter and there are a lot of cyclists making it hard so the time advantage isnt really there.

I’m sure you have considered moving or changing jobs.
    Is there a reason you can’t move jobs?
    Is there any possibility of working from home some of the time?
  • walwyn1978 wrote: »
    Insurance will come down if you do a full test not just CBT. Theft is likely to happen unless you lock it up securely (chain lock round something else - lamppost etc) EVERY TIME. 50cc stuff tends not to have strong steering locks so don’t rely on that. Carole Nash is a decent broker for bike insurance and as a new biker this and the cost of setup will be your big cost. Even though you’re ‘only’ running a 50cc and don’t need to do so buy decent gloves with protection, don’t just do what a lot of kids do and ride with wool or soft gloves. If you come off/get hit, you’ll be grateful for the extra protection of proper bike gloves. Running costs on a 50cc are very low generally so that’s not a huge concern, budget a bit each month for repairs as you would with any vehicle and you’ll be all right as and when something goes wrong.

Hi there, thanks for that info it's super useful. Sounds like you've run a moped before, just wondering if you have also tried or researched electric mopeds? Sense that aside from running costs being lower (although as you say 50cc is already quite low), might be cheaper to insure?
  • walwyn1978
    walwyn1978 Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi there, thanks for that info it's super useful. Sounds like you've run a moped before, just wondering if you have also tried or researched electric mopeds? Sense that aside from running costs being lower (although as you say 50cc is already quite low), might be cheaper to insure?
    Ran a 50 for a few months then did CBT and full licence and went to Vespas and Lambrettas where I’ve been ever since, dalliance with a Royal Enfield aside. Never looked at or researched electric scooters though, sorry. I’d assume there would be some kind of messageboard or forum focussed on them? Certainly worth a Google. Good luck with it all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure