Smart Meter mandatory in t&c

2»

Comments

• Houbara wrote: »
    The Labour government , under Ed Miliband as the then energy meter, made smart meters mandatory , like most of the EU countries did.
    Expect a future Labour government , which could happen this summer, to once again make the fitting of them mandatory and change the Tories weakness in giving the UK public the ludicrous rights to refuse a smart meter . Quite a stupid change of the rules in order to get a public to accept them. Every one would know where they stand with the new technology and we can get an almost 100% smart grid in operation.
    The way things are going it will be a feeble 65%.

That's garbage. Benefits of 'smart' meters are as follows: suppliers 100%, customers 0%. In fact it's worse, because we're paying for something that lots of us don't want. I don't need a 'smart' meter to tell me how to save energy. I just go and turn something off, or down. 'Smart' meters will inevitably lead to differential prices according to the time of day. As customers we'll never know where we are! Theoretically, grid (electrical) management will be more efficient, but the only beneficiaries will be the energy company shareholders and the fat-cat executives.
  • matelodave wrote: »
    Cant see why not reporting you is a big plus - unless you don't pay your bills.

Perhaps if a few more people were actually reported then they would think a bit more carefully about not paying or running up big arrears

This very forum is choc full of cases where mistakes either by the customer or the supplier - honest mistakes - have resulted in a trashed credit rating and all that that entails. My son had personal experience of it (nPower - their fault), and it was a bloody nightmare to sort out. And what we see on this forum will only be the tip of the iceberg. Utility companies simply cannot be trusted with CRA reporting. I don't want my credit rating trashed, so that's why I don't want my energy company to report my accounts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure