Cheapest way to get married

Options

Comments

• Marisco
    Marisco Posts: 42,036 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I wonder if 'not wanting a ceremony' means that you think you can just sign papers?

In English Law there are certain rules you must follow:

First of all, your Banns must be published for 21 days.

Then when the day comes for you to get married at the Registry Office, you each have to declare before two witnesses and before the Registrar that you are free to marry.

Then you each have to affirm that you are willing to marry the other person.

Then you sign the register. Then you get the Certificate.

(All the above, (apart from the Banns!) before two witnesses).

You will also have to show ID.

Without those steps, the marriage is not legal.

So you have to have a 'ceremony', even in the cheapest and simplest of weddings.
    Yes, that's what we had, 150 quid all in :D I don't think anyone can quibble at that price.
  • Usted
    Usted Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Just wanted to say a huge thank you to you all for all your really useful tips and advice. It’s much appreciated.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Marisco wrote: »
    Yes, that's what we had, 150 quid all in :D I don't think anyone can quibble at that price.

So did we, in 1971. Had a church do when we retook our vows some years later.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Have a look at the MSE Weddings on a Budget article on the main site :)
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Ashbash1991
    Options
    When me and my wife got married 2.5 years ago we just did it in the registry office with my dad and her dad as the witness and a few family members sat outside to have a drink after cost about £150 all in (this is in south yorkshire) had a massive party the week after at my parents and most people say its the best wedding they have been too! no stress just family and friends enjoying themselves.
  • Cyclizine
    Cyclizine Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    comeandgo wrote: »
    Where are you? In Scotland and NI a humanist wedding may be cheaper. They are not recognised as legal in England or Wales though.

As long as the celebrant is registered and the appropriate paperwork completed and returned to the registrar, a humanist wedding is as valid as any other - what you've basically said there is no Scottish (or Northern Irish) marriage certificate is recognised in England and Wales! That's entirely untrue.
  • onwards&upwards
    onwards&upwards Posts: 3,423 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Cyclizine wrote: »
    As long as the celebrant is registered and the appropriate paperwork completed and returned to the registrar, a humanist wedding is as valid as any other - what you've basically said there is no Scottish (or Northern Irish) marriage certificate is recognised in England and Wales! That's entirely untrue.

Pretty sure they meant that a humanist wedding HELD in England or Wales isn’t legally valid.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    We did it for minimum cost last year - £35 each to give notice; I think it was £50 for a daytime slot at the local register office; I don't remember paying for a certificate but we do have one! Our extra costs were because we bought new clothes, and we had lunch afterwards.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • rnj
    rnj Posts: 60 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just adding (I live in Wales) and we had to get married in registry office where we live so shopping around wasn't an option.
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 May 2019 at 11:07AM
    Options
    We did it for minimum cost last year - £35 each to give notice; I think it was £50 for a daytime slot at the local register office; I don't remember paying for a certificate but we do have one! Our extra costs were because we bought new clothes, and we had lunch afterwards.

£50 = the statutory ceremony fee of £46 + one £4 certificate (now £11).
    rnj wrote: »
    Just adding (I live in Wales) and we had to get married in registry office where we live so shopping around wasn't an option.

You have to give notice in the district where you live - but you can now get married in any register office (or other licensed venue) you want.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure