Daughter moan

13»

Comments

• r2015 wrote: »
    My wife and I are going on a cruise leaving from a town about 30 miles from where we stay.

We usually leave from another cruise terminal and my daughter drives us to the cruise terminal using my car as there is no direct way to get there but this time this cruise terminal is accessable to us by bus and taxi.

So I can leave my car at a park and ride and get a bus to the town where the cruise is sailing from and then either walk from the bus terminal, about 1.2 miles, or get a taxi.

If we walk cost will be £0 because we get free bus travel. Taxi will only cost about £4 if we decide to get a taxi.

So total cost of getting there and back £8 going by free bus and taxi as against paying for 120 miles of petrol.

Bus only takes about 40 mins, no stops, bus is MegaBus about the time it will take to get there by car.

Daughter is saying that we are spending over £3000 on a cruise and skimping on getting there and we should arrive there in style instead of getting the bus.

I think she just wants me to leave her my car:rotfl:

Who raised your daughter to be "stuck up"? Behaviour comes from the parents....
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Takmon wrote: »
    The OP's daughter would be dropping them off and picking them up. You must be really tight with money if you expect the daughter to wait there for the whole cruise and not drive home after picking them up :rotfl:

Fair point, I think I'd assumed that the daughter lives somewhere near the port and the car would be left there, but your explanation makes a lot more sense.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    OP have you checked that you can leave your car long-term in the P&R car park? Might you come home to find it's been towed away?

As for walking 1.2 miles dragging cases, just no.

How much in reality is 120 miles of petrol in your car? In mine it's around, oh, £10. So a saving of £2 to schlep your cases on the bus an then a taxi over the ease and comfort of having your daughter drive you.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Daughter no longer appears to be "Stuck up".
  • dealer_wins
    dealer_wins Posts: 7,334 Forumite
    Walking a mile or 2 with suitcases at the end of a holiday is not the ending I would want or one my missus would put up with lol
  • don't advise you lugging big cases around for 1.2miles!
    went to paris a few years ago, planned out all our travel, keeping costs to a minimum. Got the underground from the airport to the nearest stop to the hotel, only 1km to walk to the hotel - Easy, right?
    Maybe so for a leisurely stroll carrying nothing.

but dragging a suitcase along paris streets, lugging it up and down kerbs, avoiding potholes, dog mess, dodging other pedestrians, trying to jump out of the way of cyclists and mopeds. our shoulders and backs were killing us by the time we arrived at the hotel. Certainly not the relaxing start to the holiday we had intended!

Get a lift or get a taxi and be comfortable. Saving a few quid is not worth the agony of sore muscles!
    Mortgage = [STRIKE]£113,495 (May 2009)[/STRIKE] £67462.74 Jun 2019
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    don't advise you lugging big cases around for 1.2miles!
    went to paris a few years ago, planned out all our travel, keeping costs to a minimum. Got the underground from the airport to the nearest stop to the hotel, only 1km to walk to the hotel - Easy, right?
    Maybe so for a leisurely stroll carrying nothing.

but dragging a suitcase along paris streets, lugging it up and down kerbs, avoiding potholes, dog mess, dodging other pedestrians, trying to jump out of the way of cyclists and mopeds. our shoulders and backs were killing us by the time we arrived at the hotel. Certainly not the relaxing start to the holiday we had intended!

Get a lift or get a taxi and be comfortable. Saving a few quid is not worth the agony of sore muscles!
    I read this as "get a life". :rotfl:
    (which is probably just as apt...;))
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family