Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Easyjet ONLY

Options

Comments

• jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    aleen wrote: »
    Are the results on Bott&Co and EuClaims a good indication of the likely outcome?

Bott's flight checker I would disregard entirely but EUClaim seems to actually update their database so the fact they tell you there's a potential claim is promising. It's hard to say what the best way forward is but CEDR is a good compromise between handing it over to someone like Bott and going to small claims court. I assume you have reasons to question easyJet's explanation because if things are as they say it's doubtful that you would be due compensation.
  • aleen
    aleen Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jpsartre wrote: »
    Bott's flight checker I would disregard entirely but EUClaim seems to actually update their database so the fact they tell you there's a potential claim is promising. It's hard to say what the best way forward is but CEDR is a good compromise between handing it over to someone like Bott and going to small claims court. I assume you have reasons to question easyJet's explanation because if things are as they say it's doubtful that you would be due compensation.

I remember that upon landing at the destination it was sunny, clear and roasting. For departure, my memory is pretty shocking, but I found a photo of my parked car at the take off airport, 1 hour before scheduled departure, clear and sunny weather. So no adverse weather in either airports.
  • Justice13075
    Options
    Jpsatre, you really have a downer regarding bott & co just remember if it wasn't for them and the case's they have won against the airlines most people on this site would get nowhere. Are you right in every decision you make or every bit of advice you give?
  • Lalaxbx
    Lalaxbx Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hoping someone knowledgeable can help, I've raised a dispute through cedr for a delay and Easyjet has submitted their defence.

Our flight was supposed to depart GLA for BRS at 20.40 but didn't leave until 01.12.
    Easyjets defence relates to all the previous flights for the day with reasons for the delays....

1 BRS-BFS - 29 minute delay with no reason given and an additional 28 minutes for
    code 77 ‘ground handling impaired by adverse weather'.
    2 BFS-BRS - 8minutes for non-extraordinary circumstances and 6 minutes attributable to
    code 89 ‘restrictions at departure airport’
    3 BRS-AMS - 1 hour and 13 minutes attributable to code 81 ‘ATC enroute
    demand/capacity CTOT’ due to adverse weather in AMS
    4 AMS - BRS - 2 hours and 5 minutes attributable to code 32 ‘loading and
    unloading and lack of loading staff’
    5 BRS-GLA - rotational delay of 4 hours and 16 minutes, 10 minutes attributable to code
    89 ‘Restrictions at departure airport’ and minutes for non-extraordinary circumstances
    6 GLA-BRS - knock on delay of 4 hours and 26 minutes as a result of the delays
    suffered by the aircraft on the preceding flights caused by the ATC slot restrictions and
    adverse weather

I'm not sure if I should respond to their defense or if I do what to even put in it. My basic understanding was that knock on effects can't be used as a non exhaustive valid excuse of extraordinary circumstances.
    There was obviously some delays due to weather and I've seen other info that unless it is extreme weather it can't be considered extraordinary either. Similarly I'm not sure if lack of ground crew is considered extraordinary.

Any input on how to proceed would be gratefully received.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Lalaxbx,

They are just trying to confuse the issue. Your understanding about knock-on's is correct.

You can put your flight details into a couple of on-line flight delay calculators such as this one at Bott & Co to confirm if the also think you have a valid case....

https://www.bottonline.co.uk/flight-delay-compensation/calculator

You could ask them to refer your case to CEDR who should be able to see through their smoke screen.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Lalaxbx
    Lalaxbx Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks, the case is already with CEDR and that's the defense Easyjet has submitted for my claim. Just wasn't sure if I should send a response to their reasons or leave it, I have until the 15th Feb to respond. CEDR have already done the initial assessment and say it is within the scope of EU261.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lalaxbx wrote: »
    Thanks, the case is already with CEDR and that's the defense Easyjet has submitted for my claim. Just wasn't sure if I should send a response to their reasons or leave it, I have until the 15th Feb to respond. CEDR have already done the initial assessment and say it is within the scope of EU261.

Hi, yes I can see that now, not quite on the ball last night!

You can reply to their defence at CEDR with a rebuttal stating that an accumulation of various knock on delays to other flights during the day does not give them a reason to refuse you compensation.

It is up to the airline to prove that any claimed EC is a genuine EC and how it affected YOUR flight, taking it over the 3 hour threshold.

CEDR understand all of this and should ensure the airline work within the framework of the EC261 regulations. Hopefully they will be able to see through the smoke screen defence.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lalaxbx- that cobbled together list just smacks of desperation....
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • astar351
    Options
    Dear all,

I hope you are well. My friends and I were due to fly to Amsterdam via Southend Airport on 01/06/18. Our flight was at 07:05 and we were due to land in Amsterdam at 09:00. However, when we arrived at the airport at 05:00, we found out that our flight had been cancelled. There were so representatives from Easyjet present at the airport so we had to deal with the Southend Airport staff directly. Apparently, our flight had been cancelled because it was stuck at Gatwick Airport for one reason or another but that was all that they knew. On that day, flights from other airports were leaving as scheduled so we did not know what the problem was in this instance.

They had offered to order us a taxi home, thus ending our holiday then and there in an instant but we asked if there were any other alternatives as we did not want to go back home. The next flight to Amsterdam from Southend was at 19:20 which involved waiting for far too long. After much deliberation, we decided that we were reluctantly going to go back home. However, a Southend Airport employee Lindsay said there was space on the 14:40 flight to Groningen but we would have to make our own way to Amsterdam as Easyjet had not offered to do so which is pathetic. We agreed to this as we did not want our holiday to end before it started. In the time we waited for the flight, we were not looked after at all. No food or drink vouchers were offered.

The flight itself was delayed and did not depart till around 15:45 so we arrived in Groningen at 17:45. From this point we had to figure our a way to reach Amsterdam. Firstly, we had to get a bus from the airport to Groningen central in order to catch a train to Amsterdam. We caught the bus and arrived in the city centre at around 18:30 and caught a train to Amsterdam. We did not arrived in Amsterdam till 21:10 after many painful hours of waiting and hundreds of euros unnecessarily spent just so we could reach our destination, 12 hours later!

Our holiday had passed and we arrived back in England on 03/06/18. Funnily enough or flight was delayed by over an hour when we were leaving Amsterdam. When we came back, we agreed that we would put a form in to claiim compensation based on the recommendation of the staff at Southend Airport. Since I paid for the holiday, I completed the EC261 compensation claim form and this was the reply I got:

EU261 Compensation Claim Assessment
    Claim received: 6/6/2018
    Flight Number: 7401
    Flight Date: 01/06/2018
    Scheduled Departure Airport: SEN
    Scheduled Arrival Airport: AMS

Claim decision: Declined
    Decision summary: We’re sorry that your flight was cancelled. Our assessment and legal team has carefully reviewed your claim and the circumstances around your flight and have confirmed that your compensation claim is not eligible for compensation payment under EU Regulation EU261/2004. Please note that this may not match with the information you were given on the day of travel, as our staff in airports, and on-board, may not have had all the information concerning your cancelled flight.

Dear Anuj

We’re sorry that your flight was cancelled. Our assessment and legal team has carefully reviewed your claim and the circumstances around your flight and have confirmed that your compensation claim is not eligible for compensation payment under EU Regulation EU261/2004. Please note that this may not match with the information you were given on the day of travel, as our staff in airports, and on-board, may not have had all the information concerning your cancelled flight.

Our assessment of your claim
    To further explain what happened on the day; adverse weather conditions across Europe and the UK with low visibility, CB and thunderstorm activity caused long delays to flights, as air traffic control substantially restricted airspace near affected areas. Some airports experienced flooding and power failure. Weather forecasts did not predict improvement for an extended period. The delays meant that in some cases crew were pushed to their maximum legal operating hours. There is strict industry-wide rules on the number of hours our crew is allowed to work. To protect the safety of our customers and crew, these hours cannot be exceeded. Ultimately, given all the circumstances and to minimise inconvenience to our customers, we had no alternative but to cancel the flight. We do take reasonable measures to avoid delays and cancellations to our flights by having replacement crew and spare aircraft available in our network. However, on this day, there were higher than expected levels of disruption due to adverse weather and air traffic restrictions, which meant that all our replacement crew and spare aircraft had already been deployed.

EU261 Regulation
    When we have to disrupt a flight due to circumstances outside of our control, the flight is classified under EU regulation 261/2004 as being affected by “extraordinary circumstances”. An example of disruption outside of our control would be that primarily caused by air traffic control restrictions, industrial action, severe weather conditions or a runway closure.
    EU261 compensation is only payable when a flight is delayed by 3 or more hours after the scheduled arrival time, or the flight is cancelled, and the reason for the delay or cancellation was within our control. This type of disruption is classified as “non-extraordinary circumstances” in the EU Regulation. Examples of this include most aircraft technical faults or when we haven’t taken reasonable measures to prevent or minimise disruption.

Expenses
    Even if your compensation claim has been declined, you may be eligible for reimbursement of reasonable expenses incurred as result of the disruption. If you have not already done so, you may submit an expenses claim on our website at easyjet.com/ en/help/boarding-and-flying/delays-and-cancellations. Please read this carefully before submitting a claim as this explains how we assess expenses.
    The only way to make a claim is via our expenses webform, we can’t process claims submitted by email or over the phone.

Your options now
    We hope this letter clearly explains why we had to delay your flight. Our assessment team have thoroughly investigated all the available information and our decision is final.
    Our Customer Services team will not be able to access any more information than we’ve provided here. Please read our “compensation explained” section on the following link which will hopefully answer any further questions you may have.
    If, after reading this, you still would like to challenge our decision you should contact an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) supplier. The Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR) is approved by the CAA to provide dispute resolution services and an independent adjudication of your complaint under the Alternative Dispute Resolution for Consumer Disputes (Competent Authorities and Information) Regulations 2015. CEDR’s contact details are:

Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution
    70 Fleet St., London EC4Y 1EU
    Website. cedr. com/ aviation
    Email: aviation @ CEDR.com

If you decide to refer your case to CEDR, please note you will need to refer your complaint to them within 12 months of this email.

Once again we are sorry for disrupting your flight.

Claim reference: ETX5V3B-7401-001
    Case reference: 102927260

Kind Regards

Rachel
    easyJet Customer Services

Luckily enough, I had the pleasure of meeting Mr Martin Lewis when I was at work and I explained the situation to him briefly and he said I should be able to claim for compensation. I just do not know what to do anymore because the situation is driving me insane. Sorry my post is long winded and I sincerely thank you for all your help in advance.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    checking EUClaim it shows
    An analysis of the data for this flight shows that an extraordinary circumstance was the cause of the delay.
    Unfortunately you are not entitled to compensation.
    An extraordinary circumstance is a situation which the airline has no control over and cannot be held responsible for, for example, a strike by air traffic control staff, bad weather or a terrorist attack.

expect a hard fight for any compensation
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure