Looks like it's my turn

Hi All

I was told yesterday that my job was at risk. I was told that my boss wanted to speak to me privately one hour before the call but he wouldn't disclose the reason for the call.

I've been informed by mailed today that I will have another call next week to discuss further.

I have every expectation that I will be made redundant and this is just a box checking exercise.

I have been with the company for around 17yrs or 12yrs if they honour continuity of service when the company was taken over in 2007.

I am nearly 52 and I am trying to calculate the redundancy. On one website it mentions notice of 12 weeks for 12 years service.

Does that mean 3months notice +redundancy pay or is the 3months the redundancy pay?

Appreciate any input as it is all new to me

Thanks all

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,783 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hi All

I was told yesterday that my job was at risk. I was told that my boss wanted to speak to me privately one hour before the call but he wouldn't disclose the reason for the call.

I've been informed by mailed today that I will have another call next week to discuss further.

I have every expectation that I will be made redundant and this is just a box checking exercise.

I have been with the company for around 17yrs or 12yrs if they honour continuity of service when the company was taken over in 2007.

I am nearly 52 and I am trying to calculate the redundancy. On one website it mentions notice of 12 weeks for 12 years service.

Does that mean 3months notice +redundancy pay or is the 3months the redundancy pay?

Appreciate any input as it is all new to me

Thanks all

Sorry to hear this.

As you have worked there at least twelve years you are entitled to be goven a minimum of twelve weeks notice to leave (or payment in lieu of notice (PILON) ).

In addition, statutory redundancy payment is a week for every full year you've worked where you were aged between 22 and 41, and a week and a half pay for every full years service when you were aged over 41, up to a maximum of 20 years service.

Currently the weekly figure to be used is capped at £508 if higher, but this will likely rise slightly if your final working day is after 5/4/19.

https://www.gov.uk/redundant-your-rights/redundancy-pay

Bear in mind these are the statutory (minimum) figures- your employer may offer more, so it;s worth checking your employment contract, and also confirming the continuity of service.

Redundancy is paid free of tax & NI up to £30k, but PILON is usually taxed as salary.
  • Thanks p00sticks for taking the time to reply.

It's not been a great 6months as my mam passed unexpectedly and this came out if the blue but I'm determined to not let this drag me down

Always grateful that people on here help people
  • happyc84
    happyc84 Posts: 324 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    sorry to hear about the impending redundancy, the company will outline the reasons why you are at risk, you have the right to be accompanied to the meeting, If you are in a union ask the trade union rep for support. If the company are not following the government advice look up on Gov. employment website, you may have a case at an employment tribunal.

Good luck in this difficult time, try to look at the long term options, a good payoff and retraining can help. Been down this route twice, not easy but it can force a change in direction.
  • Thanks Happyc84, for replying. Appreciate your advice and positive response
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you are on three month's notice, then your Pay in Lieu of Notice will be for three months, unless they want you to work any time after they give you confirmation that you are to be made redundant. They might ask you to work a month after giving you notice of your redundancy and give you two month PILON to make up the three months notice.

If you expect to be job hunting after your redundancy, there is no point starting to look for a job until you are about a month away from actually finishing. No employer will wait more than a few weeks unless you have a unique set of skills.

Work are obliged to give you reasonable time off for job hunting.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Thanks Tacpot12, I am having a consultation today
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Sorry to nit-pick.
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    Currently the weekly figure to be used is capped at £508 if higher, but this will likely rise slightly if your final working day is after 5/4/19.

The calculation is based on the 'relevant date', which is the date that notice would expire even if notice isn't worked. So if OP is made redundant today then the calculation for length of service and age will be based on 12 weeks from now (or longer if contractual notice is longer), and that includes the cap as well so if that goes up it will be based on the higher figure.

Redundancy is paid free of tax & NI up to £30k, but PILON is usually taxed as salary.

PILON is always taxable now.

Hope the meeting went ok today OP.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • YBR
    YBR Posts: 547 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    "If you expect to be job hunting after your redundancy, there is no point starting to look for a job until you are about a month away from actually finishing. No employer will wait more than a few weeks unless you have a unique set of skills."

This may be incorrect depending on your industry. Where 3 months or more notice is usual, employers do expect to wait that long, plus PILON usually leaves you free to start a new job as soon as you leave.
  • Thank Masomnia,

It went pretty much as expected. They offered the suggestion of looking for roles in different regions, specifically outside of Europe. I asked if they meant UK ��

The real viable offer is redundancy and this would be 11 weeks at government rate

They have given me time to think about it further but I anticipate it will be wrapped up quickly.

I am just looking at things now so fingers crossed

Cheers everyone for replying
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament

How have they got 11 weeks?

need start date and birthday to work it out properly.

Given the base starting of 12 or 17 years service(take over should give continuity) and 52.

For the 17 years service you will be due 17weeks + 10 1/2 weeks for full years over 41.

might be 11 1/2 weeks if the 52 clock up soon

That's on top of the 12weeks notice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family