Recover savings account form old bank

Hi,
My father passed away some years ago and left a Savings Account from Mercantile National Bank of Miami Beach.

I tried to contact the FDIC, but they couldn't find the bank just with that name. I also checked in their bankfind website, with no luck.

The account was opened in 1966 and the last transaction was made in 1968, so it's been a long time.

Do you think this can be recoverable? and do you know where I can find more info of this bank?

Comments

• This is a uk site so we’ll be of no help to you here
  • This is a UK site so help with a US query is going to be thin on the ground.

I just did a google search of the bank and found a site that trades in old bank notes. This mentioned the bank you are looking for and gave a Charter No of 13828.

A further search for this Charter No came up with Barnett Bank of South Florida.

I have no idea whether that is of any use or whether I am just sending you on a 'wild goose chase'. I guess it couldn't hurt to see if Mercantile National Bank of Miami Beach somehow became Barnett Bank. It sounds like it is in the right neck of the woods geographically
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    johndp wrote: »
    Hi,
    My father passed away some years ago and left a Savings Account from Mercantile National Bank of Miami Beach.

I tried to contact the FDIC, but they couldn't find the bank just with that name. I also checked in their bankfind website, with no luck.

The account was opened in 1966 and the last transaction was made in 1968, so it's been a long time.

Do you think this can be recoverable? and do you know where I can find more info of this bank?
    Your father passed away some years ago but you have done nothing for all these years then just decided to sign up on a website in a foreign country to ask for advice.
    How do you know that there is still money in this account? Why was this matter not addressed at the time fo your father's death?
  • Thank you very much Terry, that is very helpful. I will try with this bank.
  • DrSyn
    DrSyn Posts: 889 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 April 2019 at 8:20PM
    Could this be it?

https://www.selectcdrates.com/mercantile-bank-florida/

However the following suggests that it may have closed in the year 2000:-

I cannot get it to give the information. So go to this website and type in what you are looking for. It may now be part of the Bank of America, I am not sure.

https://www.ffiec.gov/nicpubweb/nicweb/SearchForm.aspx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport