Fed up of London

I'm a newbie here - had to join when I saw this forum, hello all.
Like I'm sure many of you have just had it up to my ears with travelling. I spend 2hrs a day commuting on the tube stuck under an armpit and then have to criss cross the city for work. Cycling is difficult for health reasons and so I'm stuck.
Nothing new there but took the wife to Paris for a rare treat, and saw they have these electric mopeds you can hire by the minute. Bit like the dockless cycles you see now but for mopeds. Apparently they might start in London soon but need some encouragement.
So wondered what others thought and maybe they'll see this and get a move on. I've thought about buying a moped too btw.

Comments

• MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Didn't you hear what Samuel Johnson said??? 'When a man be tired of London he be tired of life'. In my humble opinion, and I don't live in London but in my opinion, any kind of cycling in London is a mistake. It can be fatal. I've seen so many news reports of people being knocked off bikes and killed by big lorries and trucks, usually at left hand turns. But there could be some at right hand turns, too. For me, cycling of any kind would be a gigantic no no in London. Mopeds are just as deadly as pushbikes. And wouldn't you need to pay to learn and pass a test as well, with a moped? If you have health problems then I would certainly say, no don't do it. You could die, and I'm not even joking. Even without health problems I'd say no. Absolutely not!! That's what I think, anyway, since you asked. The idea is absolutely appalling. (And I've seen the drivers in Paris too - they are not good!)
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I wouldn't recommend cycling in London either. Drivers don't indicate when turning and a fair number of drivers may have learned to drive on the other side of the road.

Drivers don't take cyclists into account. Don't do it.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    I've regularly cycled in London and never particularly had any issues. Sorry to say but a large number of cyclists have a death wish coupled with a fanatic cycle lobby and it no wonder cyclists always play the victims.

Take a look at CycleGaz's YouTube channel "Silly Cyclists" to see what I mean about London Cyclists!

It needs to be said!
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I used to cycle in London , was no big deal other than the fumes. Was quite liberating being able to move forward whilst the cars were stationary, going nowhere

You have to be very aware of whats happening around you at all times, concentrate on the road ahead and not just plug in the ear phones and get sucked into the music and make sure you can be seen, lights and high viz. Id feel safer on a cycle then on a moped tbh
  • MalMonroe wrote: »
    Didn't you hear what Samuel Johnson said??? 'When a man be tired of London he be tired of life'. In my humble opinion, and I don't live in London but in my opinion, any kind of cycling in London is a mistake. It can be fatal. I've seen so many news reports of people being knocked off bikes and killed by big lorries and trucks, usually at left hand turns. But there could be some at right hand turns, too. For me, cycling of any kind would be a gigantic no no in London. Mopeds are just as deadly as pushbikes. And wouldn't you need to pay to learn and pass a test as well, with a moped? If you have health problems then I would certainly say, no don't do it. You could die, and I'm not even joking. Even without health problems I'd say no. Absolutely not!! That's what I think, anyway, since you asked. The idea is absolutely appalling. (And I've seen the drivers in Paris too - they are not good!)

Yeah absolutely true about the tired thing, I love the city it's just travelling like a mad man that gets me going:( Should have said the health thing isn't huge, basically I'll aggravate my knee if I cycle a lot. Safety is a concern obviously but I dunno you do some reading around and see that the moped injuries aren't totally crazy, even comparable to the pedestrian numbers! Right now i'm thinking of all the time and money i could save!
  • I think those Lime scooters are a great idea. I don't think I have ever seen moped rental, how much are they a day? It's probably cheaper renting a whole moped! Surely you need a CBT to get one?
  • I think those Lime scooters are a great idea. I don't think I have ever seen moped rental, how much are they a day? It's probably cheaper renting a whole moped! Surely you need a CBT to get one?

Well since you ask i've started to research this like a nerd! Apparently you need a CBT which is about £100+ for some hours training. But if you got your driving license before Feb 2001 then you can ride already. When I was in Paris the ones i saw were this company - cityscoot.eu, looks like 0.29 euros per minute over there
  • Well since you ask i've started to research this like a nerd! Apparently you need a CBT which is about £100+ for some hours training. But if you got your driving license before Feb 2001 then you can ride already. When I was in Paris the ones i saw were this company - cityscoot.eu, looks like 0.29 euros per minute over there

Yeah I wouldn't recommend hiring one unless you can drive one fully and have a full license - I have a CBT (been on the road 3 years) and looked into hiring a scooter on holiday, you need a full license (which will cost 100s). The best idea for intercitiy travel (I think) is the Lime/electric scooters, rather than mopeds. We should have designated pathways for them, it would make things so much easier
  • walwyn1978
    walwyn1978 Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Well since you ask i've started to research this like a nerd! Apparently you need a CBT which is about £100+ for some hours training. But if you got your driving license before Feb 2001 then you can ride already. When I was in Paris the ones i saw were this company - cityscoot.eu, looks like 0.29 euros per minute over there

You’re right you CAN ride a 50cc scooter if you passed your test before 2001. But that doesn’t mean you SHOULD. I rode in London in exactly the way you mentioned and did my CBT after about 4 months. It made me realise the mistakes I’d made without realising and made me a better, safer rider. You’re very vulnerable on a motorbike. Spend the money on the training - you give yourself more awareness.

As an aside, I’d also look to move up to full bike licence in the fullness of time as it stops you spending money every two years to renew your CBT and the CBT, as it says, is basic and the minimum, the full imparts much more knowledge and skills. But that’s a discussion for another day.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,278 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yeah absolutely true about the tired thing, I love the city it's just travelling like a mad man that gets me going:( Should have said the health thing isn't huge, basically I'll aggravate my knee if I cycle a lot. Safety is a concern obviously but I dunno you do some reading around and see that the moped injuries aren't totally crazy, even comparable to the pedestrian numbers! Right now i'm thinking of all the time and money i could save!

How about an electric bicycle?

Or even a light bicycle with really good gears?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure