Paying rent and Housing benefits

I am 21, working full time, studying part time and I live with my Mum, it is just me and her.
We live in a council house, she does not work because of long term sickness and she is on income support and other benefits. Before I started working she was entitled to 100% housing benefit and the rent was paid for by the government.
However when I started working the council informed me and my mum that I would have to start paying rent. They took my wage slips and based what I have to pay, on my monthly income before tax. At first it was £250. However they started increasing the amount, from £250 to £300 and now they are telling me they want £410. Telling my mum that if I did not pay this she would lose the house, saying she wouldn't want to lose the house she's lived in for 15 years.
My monthly income before tax is, £1600, but after tax it is £1250 and I have bills to pay as well as supporting my family financially. I am trying to save money to go to university in a few years, but I just cant when I have to pay so much. They are forcing me out of my childhood home and away from my mum, who needs me to help look after her.
I am uneducated about this system and would like a separate, unbiased opinion because I just do not feel like I am getting a fair deal. I am having to work overtime every week to try and get some money saved up.
I dont trust the people that my mum talks to from the council, she has spoken to someone separate from the council, briefly about another matter, and they were surprised at the amount I have to pay, and did not agree with the amount.
Just another opinion or someone that I could go and speak to would be just so helpful.
Thankyou for any reply.

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 August 2012 at 11:50AM
    You can put your mum's details into www.turn2us.org.uk to find out what your benefit entitlements are.

Because you are working there will be a non dependent deduction (which is based on your income before tax and insurance) from your mum's entitlement to HB and CTB.

This is because it is assumed that you contribute to the household from your earnings.

I do not know if the figures quoted are correct but you can check them yourself through the benefit calculator.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Tootoo91 wrote: »
    I am 21, working full time, studying part time and I live with my Mum, it is just me and her.
    We live in a council house, she does not work because of long term sickness and she is on income support and other benefits.
    Does your mum receive DLA care?

Before I started working she was entitled to 100% housing benefit and the rent was paid for by the government.
    However when I started working the council informed me and my mum that I would have to start paying rent.
    They don't actually say you have to pay rent but what they do is pay your mum less housing benefit so the gap needs to come from somewhere and as you have an income then it would be from that

They took my wage slips and based what I have to pay, on my monthly income before tax. At first it was £250. However they started increasing the amount, from £250 to £300 and now they are telling me they want £410.
    You can look up the non-dependant deductions on your councils website but the maximum deduction for those with a non-dependent earning over £394 gross per week is £80 per week
    example http://www.sandwell.gov.uk/info/200118/housing_benefit/423/housing_and_council_tax_benefit/12

Telling my mum that if I did not pay this she would lose the house, saying she wouldn't want to lose the house she's lived in for 15 years.
    If the gap is not paid then arrears will build up

My monthly income before tax is, £1600, but after tax it is £1250 and I have bills to pay as well as supporting my family financially. I am trying to save money to go to university in a few years, but I just cant when I have to pay so much. They are forcing me out of my childhood home and away from my mum, who needs me to help look after her.
    If you are 'forced' out of the home away from your mum where are you going to live and what will it cost you?

I am uneducated about this system and would like a separate, unbiased opinion because I just do not feel like I am getting a fair deal. I am having to work overtime every week to try and get some money saved up.
    The maximum deduction is £80 per week so even if you double your wages the housing benefit would not be reduced further

I dont trust the people that my mum talks to from the council, she has spoken to someone separate from the council, briefly about another matter, and they were surprised at the amount I have to pay, and did not agree with the amount.
    They were maybe surprised that the figure looks like it is more than £80 per week

Just another opinion or someone that I could go and speak to would be just so helpful.
    Thankyou for any reply.

Note the first question about DLA care component - if your mum receives this there would be no non-dependant reduction to the housing benefit
  • CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative
    CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative Posts: 117 Organisation Representative
    Tootoo91 wrote: »
    We live in a council house, she does not work because of long term sickness and she is on income support and other benefits. Before I started working she was entitled to 100% housing benefit and the rent was paid for by the government.
    However when I started working the council informed me and my mum that I would have to start paying rent. They took my wage slips and based what I have to pay, on my monthly income before tax. At first it was £250. However they started increasing the amount, from £250 to £300 and now they are telling me they want £410. Telling my mum that if I did not pay this she would lose the house, saying she wouldn't want to lose the house she's lived in for 15 years.
    Thankyou for any reply.

Hi
    I think that you have already been given sound advice by previous posters, but just for completeness:
    The maximum non dependent deduction currently is £73.85 pw and this applies when your income before tax/NI is over £394 pw.
    Also, as has been pointed out, if your mother is receiving DLA care component, then no non dependent deduction applies.
    The benefit calculator at the Turn2us website is recommended by CAB.
    Of course, if you find that you are being treated incorrectly by your local authority and you cannot get it sorted on your own, then please visit your local CAB -you'll find their address on their website http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure