Housing Benefit situation please help me!

hi

I was claiming job seekers allowance back in 2007, I didn't claim for a few weeks but continued to receive housing benefit, (I was living in a residential place where the key workers paid it automatically) I then left the place I was living so the housing benefit payments would have been cancelled.

I owed literally a few weeks payments worth of benefits.

Now housing benefit from that borough are claiming I owe them more than £3000. I have asked them numerous times to send me a detailed breakdown of the dates (which state where this figure of £3000 has come from.) They cannot.

I have also asked Job Seekers to send me a breakdown of when I was receiving benefits, but I have been told their new system gets rid of that information and only has information backdating to 2011.

I really need evidence of the exact dates somehow what can I do? is there someway i could try inland revenue to send me p45's from back in 2007? I need some proof of where the £3000 figure has materialised from.

thankyou

Comments

• CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative
    CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative Posts: 117 Organisation Representative
    miss.S wrote: »
    hi

I was claiming job seekers allowance back in 2007, I didn't claim for a few weeks but continued to receive housing benefit, (I was living in a residential place where the key workers paid it automatically) I then left the place I was living so the housing benefit payments would have been cancelled.

I owed literally a few weeks payments worth of benefits.

Now housing benefit from that borough are claiming I owe them more than £3000. I have asked them numerous times to send me a detailed breakdown of the dates (which state where this figure of £3000 has come from.) They cannot.

I have also asked Job Seekers to send me a breakdown of when I was receiving benefits, but I have been told their new system gets rid of that information and only has information backdating to 2011.

I really need evidence of the exact dates somehow what can I do? is there someway i could try inland revenue to send me p45's from back in 2007? I need some proof of where the £3000 figure has materialised from.

thankyou

Dear Miss S
    Apologies for not giving a prompt reply-we normally respond to the posts in the Housing Benefit thread.
    Your situation calls for dedicated advice and support which doesn't really work in a public forum. Could you get to your local CAB? You can find the address and opening hours at http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/
    Alternatively you could seek an appointment with an officer at your local authority Finance Department office
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure