What help would I get?

Hi,

I am self employed on a low income, my children are over 20. I currently live in rented councl property and was wonderng what help I could get to get by on my low income?

I work about 16 hours a week roughly, and earn around £400-£500 month which is not enough to cover the rent etc.

Do I qualify for tax credits even though my children are not young anymore?

Thanks

Comments

• muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Have a read here benefits advisor and calaulator
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I presume your children live with you

They need to contribute to the household

You need to look for either more hours or a job that pays a wage to supplement your first job.

Or a full time job.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • NeverInDebt
    NeverInDebt Posts: 4,634 Forumite
    If your income is that low and self employed you might be better looking for paid employment. If you can get a job at least 16 or 24 if you are a couple you might get tax credits. Might also be worth contacting your council for possible help with rent

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxcredits/start/who-qualifies/workingtaxcredit/work.htm
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If your income is that low and self employed you might be better looking for paid employment. If you can get a job at least 16 or 24 if you are a couple you might get tax credits. Might also be worth contacting your council for possible help with rent

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxcredits/start/who-qualifies/workingtaxcredit/work.htm

If you are single and have no dependent children then you will need to work 30 hours a week to get tax credits.

You may be entitled to Housing Benefit and Council Tax benefit.

If your children live with you then a certain amount will be deducted from your entitlements (depending on what your children earn) as they are expected to contribute towards their living with you.

A good calculator to use in here:

www.turn2us.org.uk (go to Benefits tab and click on calculator)
  • nicky7
    nicky7 Posts: 9 Forumite
    McKneff wrote: »
    I presume your children live with you

They need to contribute to the household

You need to look for either more hours or a job that pays a wage to supplement your first job.

Or a full time job.

My child is at uni so only lives with me during the hols and is not in the osition to contribute atm.

Might look into a second job if I can fit it around my day hours
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    If you self employment pays around £500 for 16 hours, can you not say double the hours and thereby double your income?
  • Is there a reason you can't work full time hours? You need to do whatever hours are enough to pay the bills.
    DMP Mutual Support Thread member 244
    Quit smoking 13/05/2013
    Joined Slimming World 02/12/13. Loss so far = 60lb in 28 weeks :j 18lb to go :o
  • Fergie76
    Fergie76 Posts: 2,293 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 August 2012 at 8:52PM
    nicky7 wrote: »
    Might look into a second job if I can fit it around my day hours

What do you mean might?

You are hardly rushed off your feet working 16 hours in a week, Some people work that in a day and most people will work that in 2 days.

Get a full time job and support yourself!

What is it you do? Because working 64 hours over 4 weeks and getting £500 for that only works out at £7.81 an hour. I thought most self-employed hourly rates would be at least double that?
  • CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative
    CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative Posts: 117 Organisation Representative
    Hello Nicky7 the link below will take you to a site where you can input your details and check what benefits you may be entitled to

http://www.turn2us.entitledto.co.uk/entitlementcalculator.aspx

If your children are students and you have no partner you may be entitled to a 25% discount on council tax. If they are not then any benefit you may be entitled to will be affected by a non dependent deduction this link will explain how you can claim help with rent and the effect of having others live with you
    http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/benefits_e/benefits_help_if_on_a_low_income_ew/help_with_your_rent_-_housing_benefit.htm

There is also a link here for a fact sheet about tax credits that you can down load http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/b_working_tax_credit.pdf
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure