Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 22nd May 11, 7:41 PM
    • 8,906Posts
    • 45,884Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Daffy's 'patchwork dreams' diary
    • 22nd May 11, 7:41 PM
    Daffy's 'patchwork dreams' diary 22nd May 11 at 7:41 PM
    Pour yourself a cuppa and pull up a chair, I can't half talk when I get going!

After nearly a year rambling on, I've decided it's high time to start a sparkly brand new diary to step up to a whole load of new adventures

A little bit about myself briefly (there's more at the start of the old thread)... I'm 31, live with Mr Daffs (Rock Star Boyfriend), and work full time - 2 days of which involve a 4 hour round commute, and the other 3 days involve walking upstairs to the attic

I've spent most of my life *not* working full time, and I intend to get straight back to *not* working full time in one job as soon as this contract's over I absolutely adore my job, but I like to do lots of other things too - what I want is a beautifully varied Patchwork Life

So... in order to do that, I need a money-related plan (so I don't become reliant on full time work), and a cheery skills-and-cheery-things plan

I don't have any debt any more (hooray! ), but I also don't have much in the way of savings either

So - here's the overall plan:

* £10,000 in patchwork living fund by December 2012
    * decent emergency fund just in case
    * plenty of little weekends away
    * enough to pay annual bills without scrabbling around

And here's how I'm going to do it:

* £400 a month into patchwork fund
    * any spare/extra cash into patchwork fund
    * £100 a month to emergency fund
    * detailed budget and PAYING MYSELF FIRST

I also have lots of none money plans... but I shall write another post with those in...

Hold onto your hats ladies and gentlemen, it's going to be a right rolicking ride!
Page 3
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 24th May 11, 3:29 PM
    • 8,906 Posts
    • 45,884 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Not if you bloody hate weddings it isn't...

Anyway, that timer thing worked, I've gone from pg 12 to 17 in one 15 min slot!
  • MrsMoo2U
    Well my post today was a brand new uniform for a rather important event that I have coming up.

Blimey, that timer did work!!
    Some days there aren't any trumpets, just lots of dragons. Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, I will try again tomorrow -- Mary Anne Radmacher
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 24th May 11, 3:40 PM
    • 8,906 Posts
    • 45,884 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Ooh, it's quite exciting seeing what other people get in the post! I'm proper nosy, me
  • redsquirrel80
    Oh I like interesting post days! Well done on taking the plunge with SW and the getting fit plans - where's the triathlon?

ps haven't forgotten about the tootling thing, just haven't had time to get it out (ooh err) so still in my rusty, too embarrassed to play in front of people stage! I wish work would stop getting in the way of interesting stuff.. .pah!
    Debt@16.12.09 £10,362.38, now debt free as of 29.02.2012.
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better."
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 24th May 11, 3:46 PM
    • 6,031 Posts
    • 20,988 Thanks
    missymoo81
    ooh yaay for lovely post, I got a MOT for £30 voucher but thats it!! how boring, I want exciting post!!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 24th May 11, 4:07 PM
    • 8,906 Posts
    • 45,884 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Sometimes you have to send exciting post to get exciting post! (not that I did today, mind you )

Triathlon is in Derby Squizz - but one of these weddings is the day before and is in another part of the country, so I'm now suspecting Im'm not going to be able to do it... On the lookout for something equally daft

(oh, and I reckon soon we're going to have to have a tooting session regardless, otherwise one or the other of us is going to sausage our way out of it forever! )

Mr Daffs just came home with a new kettle It's a camping one, sits on the stove and whistles cheerily So that also means I've gained a kettle shaped space on the (very small) worktop! And since the toaster broke on my birthday, we've got rid of that too, and now have an entirely empty working top!

Anyway, cuppa in hand, going to set the timer again ,need to get this finished TODAY and I want to run too!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 24th May 11, 4:30 PM
    • 8,906 Posts
    • 45,884 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Up to page 24 now! One more then I'm stopping, probably won't get finished, but getting there!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 24th May 11, 4:49 PM
    • 8,906 Posts
    • 45,884 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Well, would you look at that, I DID actually finish it! Mostly due to the fact that the last several pages were entirely irrelevant and therefore took no time at all

Going to trot out for a little plod now in the sunshine Be nice to do something that doesn't involve staring at computer screen for a while (although STIll haven't sorted out car tax - MUST do this evening!)
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 24th May 11, 4:56 PM
    • 8,906 Posts
    • 45,884 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    tax disc done - how long did that take me?? 5 minutes??
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 24th May 11, 6:00 PM
    • 6,031 Posts
    • 20,988 Thanks
    missymoo81
    oooh get you and all the things you have managed to achieve in such a short time, well done! I should take a leaf out of your book and get things done but I've just been asleep!
  • vl2588
    Today's post: sexy see-through 'skirt' bought for fun! Yay!

Yay to shiny new diary (me & my friends actually use 'shiny' to mean 'cool' as well, so very apt!).
    Mortgage wanabee fund:
    £
    /£15,000 107%

Whoop whoop!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 24th May 11, 8:32 PM
    • 8,906 Posts
    • 45,884 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Gosh VL! How thrilling! I think you're winning the Interesting Post Competition!

<wonder what I could order to get more interesting post than a sexy see through skirt....> :angel:

Been to booze club, all nicely calm now Just getting used to new kettle - have discoevred if you overfill it, it doesn't whistle but rather pours water out of the spout and extinguishes the gas flame

Going to the office for the next 3 days in a row just getting all my stuff together for the morning.

Done well on the old eating front today! Even managed to squeeze in a home made jam tart in a cafe this morning On the whole, not a bad day, and very much looking forward to being with lovely office mate tomorrow!

Paid next Tuesday - and going to have a good think about what's going on. Think I need to start spending diary again, if I'm going to shoehorn in SW AND swimming lessons, might have to have a rejig - which may just involve putting leftover trains money into some kind of 'self improvement/exercise/healthy living fund' rather than into the patchwork fund (which already gets £400 a month regardless)? we'll see...
  • MrsMoo2U
    I have a whistling kettle too (although no gas), mine has a habit of blowing the whistle off if I dont answer it quickly enough. Can be quite dangerous walking into the kitchen if the trajectory (sp) is aimed at the living room door.

Definitely like the sound of a self improvement fund.
    Some days there aren't any trumpets, just lots of dragons. Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, I will try again tomorrow -- Mary Anne Radmacher
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 24th May 11, 9:05 PM
    • 8,906 Posts
    • 45,884 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Thought it might stop me spending the extra on cakes
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 25th May 11, 11:58 AM
    • 8,906 Posts
    • 45,884 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Right then.

Railcard renewed and I had something else to say but now can't remember what it was Had a tasty lunch though
  • redsquirrel80
    (oh, and I reckon soon we're going to have to have a tooting session regardless, otherwise one or the other of us is going to sausage our way out of it forever! )
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    You're right - when I get back from hols we WILL organise something (I'll bring the earplugs...)
    Debt@16.12.09 £10,362.38, now debt free as of 29.02.2012.
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better."
    • lotti379
    • By lotti379 25th May 11, 5:17 PM
    • 787 Posts
    • 6,181 Thanks
    lotti379
    Hi Cheery (and everyone else!),

Re-surfacing briefly to say Hi, and the new plans look great! Have rather pole-vaulted off the MSE wagon of late, and need to get about hauling myself back on! I think I shall be trying to draw some inspiration from your crazy-busy uber-frugal lifestyle!

“Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.”

NSD Challenge: August 2017 2/15
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 25th May 11, 6:06 PM
    • 8,906 Posts
    • 45,884 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Welcome back lotti! (not sure you could describe me as uberfrugal at the minute mind you! But I like it )

Just got home, got the evening to myself so I'm planning...

7-7.30 put washing on, start making tea, wrap parcel, make lunch for tomorrow
    7.30-8 eat tea, find clothes for tomorrow
    8-8.30 sort out no quibble weekend
    8.30-9.30 pilates video - need some stretching at the minute!

then PJs and curling up on the sofa and dozing off I think Sound like a plan?? Best get off my backside and get on with it then!
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 25th May 11, 9:13 PM
    • 6,031 Posts
    • 20,988 Thanks
    missymoo81
    oooh cheery I hope you had a lovely time dozing on the sofa, it is what I do best, especially at the moment in my overtired pregnant state!! Must be so nice not to have to come home and work stupid hours on your PHD. I'm very envious as at present I am trying my absolute best to be interested in my shakespeare assignment!!!?? Which as you can guess, as I am on here it isn't happening!!!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 25th May 11, 9:19 PM
    • 8,906 Posts
    • 45,884 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    HI Missy

I'm an hour late and not on the sofa yet Not even done the pilates thing yet! Still, everything else is done, I'm just finishing off wrapping the parcel. Will just do half an hour of pilates I think - better than nothing!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

296Posts Today

3,250Users online

Martin's Twitter