Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 22nd May 11, 7:41 PM
    • 8,907Posts
    • 45,888Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Daffy's 'patchwork dreams' diary
    • 22nd May 11, 7:41 PM
    Daffy's 'patchwork dreams' diary 22nd May 11 at 7:41 PM
    Pour yourself a cuppa and pull up a chair, I can't half talk when I get going!

After nearly a year rambling on, I've decided it's high time to start a sparkly brand new diary to step up to a whole load of new adventures

A little bit about myself briefly (there's more at the start of the old thread)... I'm 31, live with Mr Daffs (Rock Star Boyfriend), and work full time - 2 days of which involve a 4 hour round commute, and the other 3 days involve walking upstairs to the attic

I've spent most of my life *not* working full time, and I intend to get straight back to *not* working full time in one job as soon as this contract's over I absolutely adore my job, but I like to do lots of other things too - what I want is a beautifully varied Patchwork Life

So... in order to do that, I need a money-related plan (so I don't become reliant on full time work), and a cheery skills-and-cheery-things plan

I don't have any debt any more (hooray! ), but I also don't have much in the way of savings either

So - here's the overall plan:

* 10,000 in patchwork living fund by December 2012
    * decent emergency fund just in case
    * plenty of little weekends away
    * enough to pay annual bills without scrabbling around

And here's how I'm going to do it:

* 400 a month into patchwork fund
    * any spare/extra cash into patchwork fund
    * 100 a month to emergency fund
    * detailed budget and PAYING MYSELF FIRST

I also have lots of none money plans... but I shall write another post with those in...

Hold onto your hats ladies and gentlemen, it's going to be a right rolicking ride!
Page 2
    • InaPickle
    • By InaPickle 23rd May 11, 12:10 AM
    • 5,953 Posts
    • 33,115 Thanks
    InaPickle
    15 minutes at a time Pickle! But don't go checking in here every 15 minutes
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    I didn't, but I didn't seem to get much work done, either. I'm working for 6 hours tommorow, then I might have to go for a job interview for 2 hours, so I need to really crack on, and I'm getting a bit nervous I might not get it all done. *Wibbles*. I'll just have to be ruthless between now and Wednseday.

Anyway, sorry, I didn't mean to clog up your new diary with my homework woes: we left yours behind in the last diary!

I need to join you on the weight loss and decluttering fronts. I have too much of both of those. I've heard good things about SW, but the food combining is a bit confusing to a novice from what I've heard. You aren't supposed to eat carbs and protein together, are you? That's the Hayes diet that I've heard about, at least. Is SW as extreme? I couldn't survive without lasagna, that's for sure, but SW would be worth considering, otherwise. Advice, please!

Sleep tight, and dream happy Cheery.
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• retiredandskint
    • By retiredandskint 23rd May 11, 6:27 AM
    • 772 Posts
    • 4,654 Thanks
    retiredandskint
    Ooh, more people, how exciting!

Hanb, goodness me woman! Go and do something more interesting than catching up with my last 4 months! Short version - finished the PhD and became Dr Cheery and am now working full time That's about it on the important stuff front
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    You forgot the underwear buying session

On page 2 already, so much reading to keep up to date.

I'm twice your age but I love the cheeriness and energy of your diary
    • se999
    • By se999 23rd May 11, 6:36 AM
    • 2,404 Posts
    • 13,463 Thanks
    se999
    Hi Cheery, love the idea of a trapeeze lesson and the nice undies sounds good too. Looking forward to hearing more of your adventures.
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 23rd May 11, 7:52 AM
    • 8,907 Posts
    • 45,888 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Why not be MSE and start training for the trialtholon instead of SW? (No problem if SW will help, but I'm sure that Mr C could pretend to weigh you each week on a Wed and Tut or Cheer as appropriate)
    Originally posted by NorthernLas
    Tried that NL At the minute I need both But I'm going to pay for 12 weeks upfront, and don't intend to pay at all after that because I will have reached my target and it's free

I need to join you on the weight loss and decluttering fronts. I have too much of both of those. I've heard good things about SW, but the food combining is a bit confusing to a novice from what I've heard. You aren't supposed to eat carbs and protein together, are you? That's the Hayes diet that I've heard about, at least. Is SW as extreme? I couldn't survive without lasagna, that's for sure, but SW would be worth considering, otherwise. Advice, please!

Sleep tight, and dream happy Cheery.
    Originally posted by InaPickle
    I don't find SW confusing at all Pickle (I have other issues with it, but not confusing ones ) Certainly no need to survive without lasagne! I believe the idea is that nothing is banned

I don't eat meat, so do all 'green' days, so can eat as much as I like of pasta, rice, veg, fruit, beans, pulses, lentils, eggs, fat free dairy etc. Then I add in a bit of fibre (so bread, or nuts, or meat, or fish), and a bit of calcium (dairy etc), and then everything else gets 'counted'.

I believe the 'red' days you can eat as much meat, poultry, fish, fruit, veg etc as you like (all properly prepared, of course, not KFC! ), but you have a limited amount of pasta, rice etc. Still unlimited fruit and veg (and probably other stuff too).

I believe they've made it even more straightforward now with a new 'extra easy' plan anyway, but not done that one myself as I don't eat meat so don't need to. There's a sample menu on their website.

Good luck for the interview!

So - today is a busy one! Have got a plan for the day, will post in a minute...
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 23rd May 11, 7:56 AM
    • 8,907 Posts
    • 45,888 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    So, plan for the day....

Before 9am:

* shower
    * quick clean round kitchen
    * quick clean round bathroom

Work 9-11

* find cash book
    * 15 mins declutter

Work 11.30-1

* lunch

Work 2-5 (with a brief cuppa, of course)

* Slimming world at 5
    * ring friend
    * sort out card to post with dishcloth
    * clothes and lunch for tomorrow
    * swimming lesson 8.30 (see NL, I'm on the case with that too! )

Er, that's it I think! (hope )

Best crack on with it! Weekly plan coming later - already written but it's upstairs (and it's nearly 9am!)
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 23rd May 11, 8:18 AM
    • 32,424 Posts
    • 191,632 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Happy New Diary! My word, this has gone fast - hope your day's plan is going well. Hmmm, maybe I need to plan my days a little bit like yours, it can be difficult to do otherwise.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    • DedicatedDFW
    • By DedicatedDFW 23rd May 11, 8:53 AM
    • 4,233 Posts
    • 13,906 Thanks
    DedicatedDFW
    Hiya Cheery and Happy New Diary

Settles down with a cuppa and some cheese crackers

Loving all the energy and goals hon, will be reading with interest. x
    CC1:T 2531 1460
    MORTGAGE OVERPAYMENTS: 10575.20 Target 12,100
    MF Date: August 2042 May 2035
    Declutter 1000 things by Xmas 2015! 53/1000
  • redsquirrel80
    Happy new diary.. am loving the patchwork plans - lots of luck with it all!
    Debt@16.12.09 10,362.38, now debt free as of 29.02.2012.
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better."
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 23rd May 11, 9:59 AM
    • 8,907 Posts
    • 45,888 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Thanks you lot! Although I've now realised that you all call me Cheery on here, not Daffy, and that's what I should have called my diary Evidently wasn't awake last night!

Work going well this morning Although I did ring a local authority to get a name of someone, and the call centre wouldn't tell me, saying 'Is this a sales pitch? We don't respond to them' Absolutely not!

Ah well, onwards and upwards
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 23rd May 11, 12:54 PM
    • 9,510 Posts
    • 48,997 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    You're Daffs to me, Daffs! Title looks just fine! Lovely new diary - I love them - to the extent that I might have to starthingking about a new one for myself at some stage....but not enough has changed at the moment - maybe I'll hold out until September!

Lovely plans, am especially interested in your get fit and tone up plan (NOT "diet" - I don't DO diets!) as I too am trying something similar at the moment so we can cheer one another on!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • InaPickle
    • By InaPickle 23rd May 11, 4:37 PM
    • 5,953 Posts
    • 33,115 Thanks
    InaPickle
    Cheers, Cheery! Am just off for a pre-testing shower and hair straightening session.

Enjoy your evening and I think I might have to consider the whole SW thing, although with living at home and not entirely being in charge of the food, I find it difficult to do things like that. *Has a little ponder*
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P

• fannyadams
    • By fannyadams 23rd May 11, 7:02 PM
    • 1,640 Posts
    • 2,497 Thanks
    fannyadams
    *subscribes* don't want to miss a thing!
    will you still post on Pippi's thread?
    just in case you need to know:
    HWTHMBO - He Who Thinks He Must Be Obeyed
    DS#1 - my teenaged son
    DS#2 - my other teenaged son
    Barkin Things - my two retired greyhounds
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 23rd May 11, 7:38 PM
    • 8,907 Posts
    • 45,888 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Of course fannyadams! I've had my own thread for a year and still been rambling away on Pippi's, and elsewhere

SW done and dusted - 11 stone 4.5 But still, at least we've got a starting point now. Have paid for 12 weeks upfront (54! ) so have no excuse not to get there every week now

Rather grim and glum here Have now managed to eat 3 more pancakes and miss my swimming lesson

However, I am now bored of wallowing in it, and am going to get my act together and have a bit of a tidy up instead And then pop to the Co-op and get some nice fresh fruit to munch on tomorrow

And pay the car tax (on the internet, not in the Co-op). I wondered why we hadn't had a renewal notice - it's been sat in a drawer for a fortnight.....

<yawn>

Working at home again tomorrow. Good job really, am worn out and can't face a commute in the morning! Doing it 3 times this week though so will have to wake up a little bit!
    • InaPickle
    • By InaPickle 23rd May 11, 8:40 PM
    • 5,953 Posts
    • 33,115 Thanks
    InaPickle
    Were those pancakes comfort food, Cheery?

Best of luck with your negative healthy weight reductions as Firewalker might say, and sleep tight. *Inserts sleeping smiley*
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    P

• Double Trouble
    • By Double Trouble 23rd May 11, 9:53 PM
    • 4,371 Posts
    • 34,073 Thanks
    Double Trouble
    Yeah a new diary happy days

Love the underwear talk already!

DTxx
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 23rd May 11, 10:36 PM
    • 8,907 Posts
    • 45,888 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    They were indeed Pickle Although as we all know, it's only a comfort for about 5 minutes, then it just doesn't help at all!

Have been to the shop and acquired (well, bought - don't go starting any shoplifting rumours! ) a big pile of fruit and veg Probably should have waited til tomorrow and gone to the fruit and veg shop but I'm working at home tomorrow, and am trying to keep that time for actually *working* rather than letting other things creep in and then work spill over into the evenings...

Have also got down on my hands and knees and scrubbed the kitchen floor Was absolutely disgusting But now is all shiney and tea tree smelling Part of the reason I don't bother is because the tiles are so old they always look grubby anyway (they do get brushed every day, just not scrubbed). However, having done it, I've got to admit they do look a whole load better
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 24th May 11, 5:37 AM
    • 6,031 Posts
    • 20,988 Thanks
    missymoo81
    yaaaaay Dr Daffs brand new shiney diary! Sorry it's taken me so long to find it! Loving your goals already, you are as always an inspiration.
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 24th May 11, 7:39 AM
    • 8,907 Posts
    • 45,888 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Why thank you missymoo!

Working at home again today - in amongst concentrating on work I will mostly be:

* washing
    * car tax
    * ring breakdown people re 'loan' letter they sent
    * making lunch and finding clothes for work tomorrow
    * visiting friend for a very quick cuppa
    * writing card to post with dishcloth
    * popping to post office
    * writing down every morsel that passes my lips

Er, that's it I think!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 24th May 11, 3:12 PM
    • 8,907 Posts
    • 45,888 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Well, work is busy being rather frustrating today! Pah!

But I shall sail on through, and stop at 5.30 - I want to go for a run before booze club

Do you know what the post brought today?? TWO wedding invitations (is that some kind of record?? ), an appointment for the hospital ( 17th June), and a reminder to hire my graduation robes (54! that'll have to wait til next month! ) Don't usually get much post, so that was a bumper crop today!

Haven't managed to do *anything* on my home list other than having a quick cuppa with friend but I'm not going to get sidetracked now, need to crack on with work! I'm up to page 12, and need to get up to page 38! (not writing, fortunately, or reading, sadly, kind of in the middle!) Going to set the timer and see how far I get...
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 24th May 11, 3:22 PM
    • 9,510 Posts
    • 48,997 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Mine was two bits of junk mail, a letter from the building society telling me my ISA transfer has been received, and our new RSPB membership cards! Two wedding invitations in one day is really exciting!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

852Posts Today

7,385Users online

Martin's Twitter