What paint should I use to paint on pebbles, and leave as a permanent/lasting mark?

APennySaved
APennySaved Posts: 215 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 12 September 2019 at 4:01PM in Crafting
{ Just to say Hi - as this is my first posting in this crafting area of the MSE forum! :hello: }

I have found several nice pebbles/stones in the back garden.

I'm looking to arts & craft them, & mark them with text: just 1 or 2 words.

I'd like some advice on what type of paint I should used to paint this text on the pebbles' surface.

The pebbles will be then kept inside the house - i.e. there will be no outside weathering.

The pebbles are of various stone types, i.e. different textures, shininess, etc.

I need some kind of paint that will act as a permanent marker on the surface.

I want the painted script/text to be clear & readable. And fairly small in size as the stones/pebbles aren't that large.

I had a look in a paint shop - for a small pot as the text will only be a couple of words - and thus came across a painting mini-tube/mini-pot with a handy tiny paintbrush attached. That looked good but was quite pricey as it is designed to paint over scratches on cars!

Is there anything of better value, or of a more lasting effect that would do the job?

I need the painted text to show up well against the surface, so a glossy effect would be great, & even slightly raised on the surface.

I was thinking of using acrylic paint (the kind that I used as a kid on painting-by-numbers boards!); or even a gold/silver permanent marker (that we often use at Christmas) (but only if that would last); or perhaps even Tippex as a last resort, as it would be cheap, though IMHO that seems unlikely to last over time.

The colour can be any colour, although most of the stones are naturally dark so white/gold/silver would show up well.

Would any of my ideas do? Or are there any good alternative suggestions out there?

All help appreciated!

:)
APennySaved

Money, money, money . . . ! ;)

[QUOTATION:] " You do realise 'vintage' is a middle-class word for 'second-hand' " (Dane Baptiste, comedian)

Comments

• suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 15 September 2019 at 11:06AM
    Posca pens or sharpies.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • suejb2 wrote: »
    Posca pens or sharpies.

Ah-ha! I had considered trying Sharpies (we have several around the house), but thought the ink in them wouldn't take to or last on a pebble surface. Good to know they will/might!

The great thing is that Googling for the "Posca pens" you mentioned - of which I'd never heard - led to a pack of pens actually called a "Rock Painting Starter Kit" i.e. labelled as such on the packet!

Well, how interesting. I never realised there were actually pens sold withh that exact purpose in mind. So I never thought to search last week for actual "Paint Pens for Rock Painting"! :rotfl:

I have also now seen, as associated items, a range of "Acrylic Paint Marker Pens", & that seems a great idea too, & a better version of my tentative suggestion of using a mini paint pot of acrylic paint.

So lots of new ideas! Thanks! :)
    APennySaved

[QUOTATION:] " You do realise 'vintage' is a middle-class word for 'second-hand' " (Dane Baptiste, comedian)
  • Normally acrylic paints are used on pebble/stones. There are great videos on YouTube for this. The main thing is the actual varnish you use to seal the paint when finished. This acts as a protective sealer to stop the paint from scratching and scuffing.
  • Thanks for the YouTube reference - and:
    Daveym79 wrote: »
    The main thing is the actual varnish you use to seal the paint when finished. This acts as a protective sealer to stop the paint from scratching and scuffing.

Good to know! :T
    APennySaved

• suejb2 wrote: »
    Posca pens or sharpies.

Hiya

Did you mean that Sharpies permanent markers would do the job I need? (Which is what I initially assumed you meant.)
    Or that the manufacturer of Sharpies make the special acrylic paint pens too?!

As I think I have just found online some specific acrylic paint pens that are made by the same people who make Sharpies permanent markers!
    ( . . . I do love a learning curve! ;) )

:)
    APennySaved

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure