Clear/Mesh Backpacks at work - Where do we stand?

Hello everyone, I'd like a bit of advice if possible.

To cut a long story short, I work for Asda as a Personal Delivery Driver. Recently they've started giving out mesh backpacks for us to use as an alternative to our personal backpacks and are dressing it up like it's a part of the uniform.

The problem myself and others I work with it is it seems to take away any degree of privacy, while removing any possibility of protecting personal items, such as SatNav and personal phones (Needed for the job) from things like water damage. These ARE NOT robust bags.

I'd like to know, if possible, if we have any argument against using them. Or most importantly, if it's a privacy breach.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    When I worked for Asda shop floor colleagues could get sacked for having anything other than a pen in their pocket during a spot check and signed a form to this effect during their induction.

Do Asda not issue sat navs? They used to? Or is it like reduction guns where the good ones get stashed in lockers and you clock onto a shift to find you can't do your job because some idiot has locked the gun away or planked it somewhere random so they can use it when they clock in in 8 hours time?

As for personal phone, what are you using it for? What does it need protection from? Surely it's fairly protected inside the van and the bag is just for carrying it?
  • Echo41
    Echo41 Posts: 4 Newbie
    The SatNav and the phone Asda provide are built into the same unit we used to scan items on and off the vans when we work. In an ideal world, they'd work.. But they don't. So we need the backups incase something goes wrong, which is known to happen.

The issue we're having is less about when we're AT work but more about the commute into work. If it's raining and one of us is walking into work, something is sure to get waterlogged. But bags are often thrown around the vans while we're driving.
  • davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,066 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Simple, just put your waterproof backpack inside this backpack.
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    GlasweJen wrote: »

Do Asda not issue sat navs? They used to? Or is it like reduction guns where the good ones get stashed in lockers and you clock onto a shift to find you can't do your job because some idiot has locked the gun away or planked it somewhere random so they can use it when they clock in in 8 hours time?

Oh that brings back memories of my time at Sainsbury's :rotfl:
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Echo41 wrote: »
    The SatNav and the phone Asda provide are built into the same unit we used to scan items on and off the vans when we work. In an ideal world, they'd work.. But they don't. So we need the backups incase something goes wrong, which is known to happen.

The issue we're having is less about when we're AT work but more about the commute into work. If it's raining and one of us is walking into work, something is sure to get waterlogged. But bags are often thrown around the vans while we're driving.

Why can't you just put their bag inside your own bag for the commute to work?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • GlasweJen
    edited 5 May 2018 at 9:46AM
    I don't think using your own bag inside their bag is going to work, they're obviously wanting to screen what's going out into the vans with the drivers for whatever reason as you'll know that staff members are the highest cause of shrinkage in the Asda group, it's in the stupid training videos they made you watch during your two day boot camp.

If this isn't rolling out in every store then your store is having a mega shrinkage issue and they've identified your department. If you kick off they'll think it's you. If you act smart and turn up with your own back pack inside their back pack they'll think it's you and you'll have your back side hauled in for searches every shift until they find what they're looking for.

Expect you and your colleagues discount cards to be under surveillance as well and your routes to be mystery shopped to the max. Now is not the time to be accepting cash tips.

Just do as you're told and use the bags. What do you have anyway? An Asda issued satnav and phone unit in one, your lunch and receipt for it to prove it's been paid for... you shouldn't have any personal items that cause embarrassment, you shouldn't have your own personal mobile phone - that's an instant sacking if they find it on your person - so who cares if Asda's gear gets wet, if it does raise it as a concern and tell them it's because of the mesh bags and put in a suggestion for a clear bag.

ETA don't use your personal mobile phone ever! Unless your people manager has signed a letter with your name on it and authorised you to have your phone on you then just don't. It might seem sensible and you might not be on the shop floor so you don't think the same rules apply but every rule in the hand book applies equally and I know 2 Home shopping drivers who were sacked when the winds changed and they were searched and had their mobiles on them. Just put your phone in your locker and say it's broke and you need Asda to provide a unit that works correctly.

In the unlikely event that you're in a union (I know it's discouraged) get in touch with them or raise it at the colleague circle. But don't risk your job by letting Asda provide you with rubbish work equipment then let them use that as an excuse to fire you because someone is tea leafing.
  • GlasweJen
    Oh that brings back memories of my time at Sainsbury's :rotfl:

You know you've worked in retail when...
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Hello everyone, I'd like a bit of advice if possible.

To cut a long story short, I work for Asda as a Personal Delivery Driver. Recently they've started giving out mesh backpacks for us to use as an alternative to our personal backpacks and are dressing it up like it's a part of the uniform.

The problem myself and others I work with it is it seems to take away any degree of privacy, while removing any possibility of protecting personal items, such as SatNav and personal phones (Needed for the job) from things like water damage. These ARE NOT robust bags.

I'd like to know, if possible, if we have any argument against using them. Or most importantly, if it's a privacy breach.

Thanks for reading.

Quite easy to solve.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterproof-Pouch-Camera-Mobile-Phone/dp/B01E3M0OD8/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1525509432&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=waterproof+phone+case&psc=1

I think its a reasonable requirement of your employer, presumably you can leave your own rucksack in your locker when you arrive to get changed. (my daughter can at Asda.)
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • welshbookworm
    welshbookworm Posts: 2,905 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Put it in a Ziploc bag, water tight and visible . It gets stolen because people can see what it is when you're sticking to the rules? Not your problem.
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The problem myself and others I work with it is it seems to take away any degree of privacy, while removing any possibility of protecting personal items, such as SatNav and personal phones (Needed for the job) from things like water damage.

Leave your personal satnav and phone at home or in your locker. If they are required for the job why isn't the employer providing them or am I missing something?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport