2017 - Spend less, live more

Comments

• chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 4 January 2018 at 9:19PM
    Inspired by sugar baby some recent savings:

3 rolls of Christmas wrapping paper reduced to 50p each in Sainsbury’s.

A couple of Christmas 2018 gifts - drinks bottles, and cups reduced from £5-£6 down to £1.50. Again from Sainsbury’s.

A sample of sushi today in Waitrose. Worth about 5Op
  • Hi chanie,

I've found your diary, but i think the link you posted takes you to your old diary....Anyway have found you now and will read through in my lunch break.
    Well Behaved women seldom make history

Early retirement goal... 2026

Reduce, reuse, recycle .
  • chanie
    Forumite
    Hi chanie,

I've found your diary, but i think the link you posted takes you to your old diary....Anyway have found you now and will read through in my lunch break.

Thanks, I didn’t realise. Will update now.

Popped to town today. My plan was to drive part way and walk in, to save on parking fees (inspired by sugars efforts. I couldn’t find anywhere within a mile and then it was just became pointless, so I paid for parking. I also treated myself to lunch.

£4 credit voucher for River island. I was bought a gift for Xmas, which I didn’t really want, so I returned it. Unfortunately, I only got half price for it, but I thought that £4 towards a useful item was better than an unused item for £8. I didn’t see anything I wanted, so I bought DD some clothing.

£13 saved on 3 bras from M&S. This was an impulse purchase, but I am in need of more bras. As I am rather well endowed on the boobage front, bras aren’t cheap so £25 for 3 is good going.
  • chanie
    Forumite
    edited 10 January 2018 at 9:17PM
    Inspired by sugar I’ve added a second category of savings to account for ‘nice to have’ extras (live more). My spend less (save £1000) is for purchases I would have made anyway. The live more savings is about considering feeebies and those ‘nice to have extras’.

This may not make sense to you, but it dies to me. I don’t have a target, so I’ll just see what my total is.

£45 saved on my trainers. I waited until the sales to buy my trainers and they sent the wrong ones! The box label and invoice were correct but the trainers were different. When I looked them up, they were ones that weren’t in the sale (live more).

£3 Saved on a cinema ticket for a belated Xmas present for our priest - What do you buy a priest? Our priest loves going to the cinema, so that was an easy win (spend less)

£4Saved on knickers from Sainsburys in their sale. Not a ‘need’ but they are half price for a pack of 3.
  • chanie
    Forumite
    I’ve been meaning to finalise my targets for 2018:

-loose 1.5 stone, with weightwatchers.
    - reduce overdraft by £600
    - read at least 20 books
    - try 30 new recipes
    - have 6 ‘dates’ with OH
    - support OH to attend 8 poker evenings
    - have at least 12 family fun days out, with at least 5 new places
    -complete a 10k run
    - learn a new skill
    - increase environmentally friendly efforts
    - reconnect with old friends and make new ones
  • chanie
    Forumite
    I tried a new recipe today, American style cornbread. It was more cake-like than bread-like, both in texture and taste. Despite this, neither OH or the children liked it. Luckily, I only need to buy one ingredient, which was cornmeal and it cost 79p, so it wasn’t a costly experiment.
  • Hi Chanie :hello:

I like your logic on the 'live more' stuff.

At least the new recipe was a cheap one to try, do you have cornmeal to use up now?
  • chanie
    Forumite
    Hi Chanie :hello:

I like your logic on the 'live more' stuff.

At least the new recipe was a cheap one to try, do you have cornmeal to use up now?

Yes I do have to use it up. I haven’t seen any inspiring recipes, yet.

Some freebies...
    £1 on a baking tray from a relative - looks like it was a promotional freebie.

£25 on some bedding from DM.

I do get offered freebies from family members but I will only accept if it’s something I can use, otherwise it’s just clutter.
  • sashybo
    sashybo Posts: 4,496
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hi chanie, I always fancied trying cornbread, did you like it?

Good plan on not taking stuff unless you need it - I feel like my whole house is full of clutter just now. *sigh*
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £14,258, Car loan 2 £16,000, 0% CC1 £345. Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
  • chanie
    Forumite
    Sashy the cornbread was okay, although it tasted a bit like cake!!! I remember trying it in America years ago, but I can't remember what it tastes like and whether what I made is similar.

When you have a baby, you'll find that people will always try and off loads stuff onto you. Its normally well meaning, but you can end up with lots of stuff that you just don't need. I've been very firm with people and I accept very few things now. One relative in particular kept loads of our old toys and clothes and as we've been having children, has been trying to give them back to us (I'm talking stuff from the 1980s). Most of it is junk and it hasn't been worth keeping it for all those years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure