Full refund on faulty products but not the carrier bag

Comments

• Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Were you not offered a replacement for the faulty items?

The reason for not refunding the bag was that it was neither faulty and it was no longer in the condition that it was when you bought it.

So why did you not fold up the carrier bag and put it in your pocket?

What will you do with the 5p bag? Will you keep it with you so you do not have to pay for another bag when you buy items in the future?
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• NineDeuce
    NineDeuce Posts: 997 Forumite
    I think the moral of this story is that there should be bigger things to moan about.....

I can just see you getting needlessly angry about a 5p bag in Tesco and are actually still writing about it while pretending it is about the principle...
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Presumably to carry the products which turned out to be faulty - isn't it obvious?

So he changed his mind about something bought in the shop. As it’s not faulty he has no rights to a refund.
  • LABMAN
    LABMAN Posts: 1,659 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes they should've refunded the bag. Doesn't matter that there was nothing wrong with the bag - if you order things together and some goods don't conform, you have the option of:
    1) rejecting all goods
    2) accepting all goods
    3) rejecting the goods that don't conform and accepting the goods that do conform

If any of the goods formed a commercial unit then you cant reject some of those goods and must reject all goods that form that unit.

However what you can't do (which might apply here if you purchased other items) is only reject some that conform. When it comes to goods that do conform you can't reject just some of them, its an all or nothing affair.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/21/enacted

The bag isn't faulty and it is now not in a condition to be resold ie the buyer has used it. Can the retailer not refuse to refund on that basis?
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Be warned some retailers now only stock 10p bags. You had a lucky escape. The loss could very nearly have been double.
  • LesCats
    LesCats Posts: 8 Forumite
    when this happened to me, they took the bag back.. I guess it depends on how nice the person is!
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    LABMAN wrote: »
    The bag isn't faulty and it is now not in a condition to be resold ie the buyer has used it. Can the retailer not refuse to refund on that basis?

No.

If you read sections 20 & 21 of the CRA (along with the explanatory notes) it states the same thing I've said above.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,509 Forumite
    I'd have been to embarassed to ask for a 5p refund on a carrier bag!
  • its_all_over
    its_all_over Posts: 183 Forumite
    No.

If you read sections 20 & 21 of the CRA (along with the explanatory notes) it states the same thing I've said above.

So if I go and do my monthly shop in Tesco and when I get home I find a fault with an individual item I can take the whole trolley load of goods back to Tesco and demand a full refund for everything as a statutory right?

Which subsection is it that says that? I've read 20 and 21 and I really can't see the subsection that says that having a single faulty item gives a statutory right of return and refund for all the other items bought because one individual item bought was faulty.

That doesn't sound right, I find a crack in a teacup I bought so I can demand a statutory refund on the frozen turkey, sticky bun and newspaper I also bought.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Love it -the ultimate silly thread
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business