Options

Comments

• nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sann420 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have recently joined an Investment bank in the IT department.

At the end of 2016 I left my then employer and was jobless for about 10 months. During this time I did travelling etc but never claimed any benefits. Then I joined another company for a couple of months where things didn't work out and I got a job with my current employer.

Now my current employer has done all the criminal checks etc + employment refs + education checks and they have all come through fine.

But now they want me to be accountable for the 10 months that I did not work. Since I did not claim any job seeker allowance during this time my employer wants me to go to HMRC and get a employment history certificate and submit it to them.

My question is: Are they within their rights to ask for this ? and what is the point of this? I have asked them repeatedly why they need to know what I was doing during my time off and they just keep saying its for compliance reasons.

With the current environment of data leaks etc I do not feel comfortable giving them this info without a solid reason. Am I within my rights to question this request specially given that their verification department operates out of a non EU country and all my personal info will be dispersed all over the world for no good reason.

I do not have anything to hide but its a matter of principle.
    I try to give out my personal info only on a well needed basis and they have not given me a valid reason apart from internal compliance.

I have checked this website https://www.gov.uk/employers-checks-job-applicants and it does not mention any sort of request by employer to show employment history from HMRC etc.

What are your thoughts on this?

Cheers,

What value do you place on this point of principal? Enough to be out of a job again?

You do realise that as you've been there less than 2 years they can just terminate your contract for no reason.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,865 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The other alternative that I don't think has been mentioned is that gaps in employment, without job seekers being claimed, can suggest time serving a prison sentence.
  • welshbookworm
    welshbookworm Posts: 2,905 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My job insisted on 5 years complete history (no gaps ) before they would accept me.
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    edited 1 May 2018 at 11:25AM
    Options
    sann420 wrote: »
    At the end of 2016 I left my then employer and was jobless for about 10 months. During this time I did travelling etc but never claimed any benefits. Then I joined another company for a couple of months where things didn't work out and I got a job with my current employer.

I don't see what the big deal is tbh.

Assuming you aren't lying about the travelling bit, you shouldn't really have anything to hide. And if you want to talk about data being passed around then maybe consider the fact that you've made quite a lot of public posts on a public forum...

Did you ever manage to sell that flat in zone 2 which you had on the market in Feb 2017?

How's your Capita pension plan going?

Did you end up throwing in your 3 month (10k) notice of period pay into your pension pot? Or was that part of the reason why you could afford to live without working?

I do find it ironic how people bemoan data protection and then post half this stuff on public forums! Though it does sound like you are both minted and may well have a blas! attitude towards working due to it.... So in that respect I do actually think that you are more dragging your heels here as apposed to hiding something!

Just remember that most people in the country need to work because they can't turn a 150k profit on a house. If you are indifferent about the job (or the process) you are applying for then can you kindly leave it for other people please?
  • Lungboy
    Lungboy Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It does seem to be a bit silly to worry about data protection over your whereabouts for 10 months when you are presumably happy to give them actually important bits of info like your name, D.O.B, NI number, bank details etc.
  • Fennite
    Fennite Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    hows about flight tickets, passport entry and exit stamps for evidence of travelling?

I can see employers wanting to make sure a) you are not hiding a job gone wrong, or b) you were not off sick for a long period
  • Diamandis
    Diamandis Posts: 881 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You've given them this information already so how is it going to change anything if there is a data leak? Sounds like you're being difficult.
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Their compliance checks will certainly require them to obtain the information they've requested, so either come into the real world and provide it, or you won't get the job. Why the big deal if you've been completely honest?

You need to be aware that many a job applicant has been 'travelling', 'homemaking', 'taking a sabbatical'...when they've been doing nothing of the sort.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    What information do you think they will get from an employment history certificate from HMRC that they wouldn't already have?

As an employee they will already have your name, address and NI number.
    Presumably you gave your job history on your application.

If you want the job, you will need to provide the information.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • usefulmale
    usefulmale Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    Options
    BooJewels wrote: »
    The other alternative that I don't think has been mentioned is that gaps in employment, without job seekers being claimed, can suggest time serving a prison sentence.

The only trouble there is
    Now my current employer has done all the criminal checks etc + employment refs + education checks and they have all come through fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure