Walk-in hairdressers charge women more, why?

Options
I am female and cannot be doing with waiting in salons for a haircut, sitting there with a magazine and a coffee being interrogated about my holidays/kids etc.

So, I use walk-in unisex hairdressers, you know the 'no appointment' type ones. In and out in 20 minutes or less.

I find it a good service, a simple haircut, no faffing with shampoos and hairdryers.
My gripe is that ladies hair cuts are exactly the same as the mens, except they tend to also do men's eyebrows and sideburns! And yet the charge for women on average is double.

How can they justify charging double for the same amount of work?

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you asked the hairdressers in question?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. Women are willing to pay more for a haircut then men. Simple economics.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 August 2018 at 2:16PM
    Options
    Margot123 wrote: »
    I am female and cannot be doing with waiting in salons for a haircut, sitting there with a magazine and a coffee being interrogated about my holidays/kids etc.

So, I use walk-in unisex hairdressers, you know the 'no appointment' type ones. In and out in 20 minutes or less.

I find it a good service, a simple haircut, no faffing with shampoos and hairdryers.
    My gripe is that ladies hair cuts are exactly the same as the mens, except they tend to also do men's eyebrows and sideburns! And yet the charge for women on average is double.

How can they justify charging double for the same amount of work?

I make an appointment- never had to wait - only waited in the walk in ones.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Last time I had my hair cut (over a year ago) I just happened to be passing a guy who advertised he did womens for £20, I sat and waited watching as he did kids and mens hair. My turn, showed a photos of what I wanted and it was done. Water spray, blow dry and a cut fir £20, my hair was down my back when I walked in, layered and just below my shoulders when I walked out.

Hairdressers charge for the shampoo, conditioner, hairspray, cut, blow dry and skill....

I have lost count the amount of times walking into a hairdressers, asking how much, turning round so they can see all my hair pinned up only for them to nearly double the price when they take the clip out!
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    I always keep my hair short, even shorter than some of the men I've seen having their's done for half the price. Never had any shampoo, conditioner, blow dryer etc anywhere near.

So, what I am saying is, it's exactly the same service so where is the justification?

I don't agree with the comment that women are gullible enough to pay more. If it's a choice between 'posh' faffing about for £35 or walk-in for £10, then it's still a no-brainer. However women are still paying double the charge for men. I haven't come across one that charges the same or I'd be going there.

A haircut is a hair cut as far as I'm concerned.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My missus would charge the same, however she only ever does a No 1 and eyebrow trim. The only problem I've found is if she has the wrong glasses on. She's liable to take a chunk off your ear with the clippers if that's the case.
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I make an appointment at the hairdresser turn up and have a dry cut , job done and it's £9.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you down south Margot123? Haircuts seem to be one of those things where there is still a north-south divide. That said, the unisex places do still have bias, e.g. men's cut £4, women's cut £5.
  • LilTerryWhite
    Options
    Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. Women are willing to pay more for a haircut then men. Simple economics.

There is a truth in your words!
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I find it more annoying that I'm automatically charged more just because I have long hair. I usually just go in for a trim that takes literally ten minutes, yet I'm charged more than the short-haired person next to me whose cut and faffing has taken a good half-an-hour.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure