Role being outsourced to consultants

My query is I’ve been served notice of potential redundancy, I’m a department of one.
I’ve been told in writing my role will be outsourced, I know this will be outsourced to consultants for say half my hours with colleagues picking up the other bits (that bit has been given verbally)
What’s not fitting is the fact the company are stating they are outsourcing, meaning to my my job role is still there, and sounds like a way to get rid of me, but through redundancy.
Is this unfair?

Comments

• lulu650
    lulu650 Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yes, your employer can do this. They do need to look into whether there is a suitable alternative role in the company for you though right up until your termination date.

More information here; https://beta.acas.org.uk/your-rights-during-redundancy
    Saving money right, left and centre
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,934 Forumite
    Mungo76 wrote: »
    My query is I’ve been served notice of potential redundancy, I’m a department of one.
    I’ve been told in writing my role will be outsourced, I know this will be outsourced to consultants for say half my hours with colleagues picking up the other bits (that bit has been given verbally)
    What’s not fitting is the fact the company are stating they are outsourcing, meaning to my my job role is still there, and sounds like a way to get rid of me, but through redundancy.
    Is this unfair?
    Has anyone mentioned TUPE? If it applies, you could be transferred to the consultants providing the service.

This can be rather complex. eg. https://www.employmentlawwatch.com/2014/10/articles/employment-uk/the-end-of-the-percentage-argument-in-tupe-negotiations/
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,610 Forumite
    you could be transferred to the consultants providing the service

That depends on location though.
    I was made redundant due to outsourcing to Bangalore.
    Yes I could have taken the role in Bangalore on local rates, but it's unlikely a UK native is going to want to do that.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    marlot wrote: »
    Has anyone mentioned TUPE? If it applies, you could be transferred to the consultants providing the service.

This can be rather complex. eg. https://www.employmentlawwatch.com/2014/10/articles/employment-uk/the-end-of-the-percentage-argument-in-tupe-negotiations/

If only half the responsibilities of the role are going to the outsourcer it suggests the role itself is no longer required, thus i dont think tupe would apply.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,934 Forumite
    motorguy wrote: »
    If only half the responsibilities of the role are going to the outsourcer it suggests the role itself is no longer required, thus i dont think tupe would apply.
    Perhaps. It depends whether its the principal role that's being outsourced.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    marlot wrote: »
    Perhaps. It depends whether its the principal role that's being outsourced.

If half the responsibilities are being given to the third party and the remaining half split between colleagues it sounds like the role is no longer required.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure