Updated Find the cheapest broadband discussion thread

Comments

• mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    ffox wrote: »
    What does it matter if the price hasn't increased in one go or not?

Because of the effects (however small) of compounding. As shown by the table helpfully posted above by Fromply.

For example, in simplest terms, if you add all the % inflation figures together you get 28.3%. However the £100 has become £132. Which is a 32% . If you add 28% to £100 in 1 go, you get £128, whereas over 11 years it is actually £132.
  • renifer7
    renifer7 Posts: 160
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    FYI when clicking on the Vodafone fibre offer - which supposedly runs until 31/07 - I get
    Sorry this campaign is no longer available.
    B)
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    mbmonty wrote: »
    I was just trying to show the trend, I had a £65 deal end in 2017, so is not so long ago I was paying £5.41 a month.

The upgrades to eventually full fibre FTTP have to be paid for.
    It is simply absurd to think that you can have a broadband service plus the maintenance of the equipment plus the data plus further investment for £6 a month.
    Far too long ofcom was obsessed with keeping prices low and as a result so was investment low and now we are facing the consequences of bad broadband infrastructure compared to other countries.

Even line rental can seem cheap compared to the cost of some repairs that BT have to do. I worked out that a BT pole replacement "all in cost" took the full gross line rental for the 3 properties it served from something like 3 years and the likely net profits from those houses for maybe 8 years. You would not run a house rental on this basis would you?
    A section of failing underground BT supply cable had a replacement quote cost of £30K! Which make you understand why BT bodge it up so often rather than rip it all out and replace.
  • mbmonty
    mbmonty Posts: 149
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Uxb wrote: »
    The upgrades to eventually full fibre FTTP have to be paid for.
    It is simply absurd to think that you can have a broadband service plus the maintenance of the equipment plus the data plus further investment for £6 a month.

Err No not by people who do not want or need FTTP

You are right that the broadband market is and has been absurd for some time, BUT it is NOT absurd to point out that the market is dysfunctional and not competing.

£6 a month is perfectly reasonable for a platform that has already had the majority of investment made that is going to be made. There is a demographic that can only afford sub £5 a month, what history shows us is that if you do not provide a product at the low end, they will find a way to get what they need without paying. I do that right now, I do not share BB and I have around 9mb up and down, there are technical aspects to it and I would rather pay a reasonable price, but I will not grab my ankles for these companies.

When the telecoms providers screwed us on the line rental and/or the call charges, I stopped having a home phone, I implemented a VPN, my own comms (that I can plug into anybody's broadband), but mostly I use mobile, whatsapp, iMessage etc. So their greed got them NOTHING.

There was a time when they did want to compete, they would have these loss leading offers and when they expired and price was due to go up, they negotiated, maybe not at £5 but close to it.

I did not expect to pay £25 for a year and get free international calls and 3 other add ons, that was them wanting to compete with an offer from EE. Now EE broadband do not compete because they are owned by BT who already have Plusnet. BTare not interested in low end because of impact to Plusnet and BT, it is monopolistic, especially when they control the wholesale price for all the other providers.

Is there a better way?

YES force BT to sell off BT Openreach for a start

Create a permanent network for every household, every time you switch provider the infrastructure is unplugged and plugged in again at huge cost. If Openreach was independent it could define network standards so that all providers use virtual switching. No more fake install charges required. No more finding you have been unplugged from the green box or at the exchange or wherever.

Openreach would NOT need the huge number of engineers doing this sticking plaster grunt work. Some of their engineers have told me some horror stories about what they are asked to do, including unplugging existing connection so they reach a target in a new customer or splitting a port at the exchange, except not as a temporary measure.

If we had fibre to the door for every household Telcos could still offer a broadband equivalent product with unlimited data and say 8mb or 16mb 24mb 40mb and so on right up to gigabit.

Al I know is that right now they are profiteering from what they have now compared to what they had a few years ago, nothing much has materially changed, they just realised that with lack of competition they do not need to compete, I can smell cartel like behaviour a mile off. They even use OFCOM as the messenger.

Far too long ofcom was obsessed with keeping prices low and as a result so was investment low and now we are facing the consequences of bad broadband infrastructure compared to other countries.

Do not get me started on OFCOM, like most OFxxx's they are not fit for purpose, they are far to influenced by .industry and are mostly made up of ex-industry or plodders, no wonder the consumer is being ripped off.

IMO they were not obsessed with keeping prices low, they simply responded to the BS story that BT told them about exchanges, so they created this stupid market 1,2, 3.
    Even line rental can seem cheap compared to the cost of some repairs that BT have to do. I worked out that a BT pole replacement "all in cost" took the full gross line rental for the 3 properties it served from something like 3 years and the likely net profits from those houses for maybe 8 years. You would not run a house rental on this basis would you?

Line rental is not cheap, they have made their money over and over again, £18 a month!!!

It should be abolished with a ban on increasing prices to compensate.

Investment into a proper network should be made directly via government and businesses that want to take part, benefit or contribute. We have £13bn being spent on smart metres, a complete white elephant but £5bn of that is in a network we do not want or need, that money could have been put into putting fibre to every door.

So called repairs include the 12 month disconnect reconnect nonsense. a pole is daft to begin with, a real investment would connect every home underground via fibre. When they create these fake costs and fake all fibre predictions for 2030 2040 and 2050 they do not factor in the money they are wasting keeping the old crap infrastructure maintained, they just want us to pay for their incompetence.
    A section of failing underground BT supply cable had a replacement quote cost of £30K! Which make you understand why BT bodge it up so often rather than rip it all out and replace.

Well there you make my point for me, a botch connected to a botch connected to a botch, no wonder they have so many faults and performance issues.
  • logie48
    logie48 Posts: 98
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Now Broadband up to 36MBps looks good, at £20.

£70 on TCB making it equivalent £15 a month, over 12 months.
  • mbmonty
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    logie48 wrote: »
    Now Broadband up to 36MBps looks good, at £20.

£70 on TCB making it equivalent £15 a month, over 12 months.

So that is another Sky Brand, I suppose is cheap for what it is but just more evidence that that are trying to move all to fibre. Then when offer runs out you suffer!
  • logie48
    logie48 Posts: 98
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    So that is another Sky Brand, I suppose is cheap for what it is but just more evidence that that are trying to move all to fibre. Then when offer runs out you suffer!

They still offer standard broadband also. And 99% of the time I jump ship at the end of the contract.

Anyways, that is the cheapest i've got it for a while. Beats the £16 monthly equivalent I was on with SSE a few years ago.
  • mbmonty
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    logie48 wrote: »
    They still offer standard broadband also. And 99% of the time I jump ship at the end of the contract.

Anyways, that is the cheapest i've got it for a while. Beats the £16 monthly equivalent I was on with SSE a few years ago.

Most deals on MSE expire Tuesday, so be interesting to see if they can be bothered to get a deal.

Shows that TCB are beating MSE more often than not these days, typically fibre here is from £20 a month.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Most deals on MSE expire Tuesday, so be interesting to see if they can be bothered to get a deal.

Shows that TCB are beating MSE more often than not these days, typically fibre here is from £20 a month.

And their advice has always been to check for additional cashback.
  • Is it just me or is the Cheap Broadband page still offering yesterday's deals?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback