MSE Poll: How often do you use cash?

Poll started 23 April 2019
For some people, the days of keeping cash in their pockets are long gone. Contactless cards especially mean many transactions can just be done with a ‘beep’. So we wanted to test how cashless our society is now, and who’s using it.
Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below.

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks! :)

Comments

• I would have liked to see the option "I never use contactless". I was sent contactless cards, but had them replaced with non-contactless. The stupidity of contactless is astonishing. VISA told me they're as secure as chip and PIN because you might be asked to enter your PIN. Codswallop.
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I would have liked to see the option "I never use contactless". I was sent contactless cards, but had them replaced with non-contactless. The stupidity of contactless is astonishing. VISA told me they're as secure as chip and PIN because you might be asked to enter your PIN. Codswallop.

There is no risk of losing money due to contactless because the bank will refund any fraudulent transactions no questions asked. I've never had any contactless fraud and i have many cards with the functionality. The risk is very low considering you have to actually lose your card in the first place.
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,857 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I have a small amount of cash in my wallet but very very rarely us it. If I do use a note any change goes to my wife because I cannot be bothered carrying it.
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I use cash for things like markets where they don’t have facilities for cards.

I also put change in charity boxes.

There are still a number of cafes in our part of the world which are cash only.

Tips for waiters and hairdressers

OH is waiting for a visit from the chiropodist, cash only.

I have a new pedicurist who does home visits, cash only.

Some shops still have a minimum transaction for cards so if I am spending less than this it’s cash again.
  • Askalaba
    Askalaba Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    I only ever use cash when a non-cash transaction isn't available. So only really once or twice a week tops.
    Absolutely love a good bargain. If anybody has any money saving tips please send them my way :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure