Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again

Comments

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edited 8 March 2019 at 8:54AM
    Good morning. Lovely ladies.....

Well done on the weight losses everyone. I couldn't resist taking a sneak peak this morning. :rotfl: it looks like I've lost 2lbs already. I can do this!!!!

Re cleaning - its just me now so any mess is my mess.....;). Actually I am quite a tidy person so little and often works for me. My big problem is I seem to have lost muscle strength so moving furniture is a bit of a problem when I want to "blitz" a room. Both my bed and the sofas seem to weigh a ton. So I tend to just do a room at a time. I am hoping that with regular exercise, especially some strength training with weights, that I will get stronger again.

I know my sons would help if I really started to struggle with moving furniture. I do have a window cleaner. Perhaps in the future I would hire a cleaning company for a periodic deep clean but I can manage for now.

One thing I have found is that decluttering and paring down has really helped. Having less furniture and less stuff has made cleaning much easier.

Off to acupuncture today. Will pop into Aldi for some bits. I don't need much but I want to see if they have got any nice shrubs and plants in, Wilkos had some yesterday but they didn't look very healthy so I didn't bother.

Just started reading the Beauty Myth by Naomi Wolf. It was required reading for gender studies when I was at university. I gave up with it then ......but I thought I'd give it another go. Well it was only 30p at the chazzer. :rotfl: Fay Weldon called it "Essential Reading". I have only read a few pages so far but it seems horribly dated. Sexual politics have changed a lot since the 90s.

I recently read "Resilence" by Liggy Webb, a psychologist. It's about coping with change and how to overcome setbacks, I can thoroughly recommend it. Easy to read without having to wade through jargon and psychobabble.

For sheer inspiration and joy I can recommend "A pocketful of Hopes and dreams" by Jeff Pearce, an autobiography of a retail magnate. A real life rags to riches story. Very uplifting.

I have also just purchased two books on loft conversions. Thought I'd do some homework before I contact building control and start getting quotes. At least then I might look as if I know what I'm talking about ha ha and I will be able to understand the technical jargon and "builders speak".

I'm not sure I will be in a position to fire ahead with the attic bedroom this year but I can start the mental preparation, start thinking about plans and designs and of course, the dreaded "B" word......budgets!!!
    I think the success of the project will lie in careful planning so I'm not going to rush in all bull at a gate.

Fabbing wise.....my skin has been really sensitive this week. I looked at a dermologica serum to calm it down. £68 :rotfl: I will dig out my essential oils and try making my own. If that doesn't work then maybe I'll try the Boots repair and Protect .....not exactly cheap at £26 but it has good write ups.

I currently have a box full of creams and moisturisers that I can't use on my face so I'm using them up on my elbows, knees and feet.

Waste not, want not. :rotfl:

Have a great day.
  • lessonlearned
    Forumite
    Silva.....can I ask which retinol cream you use.
  • FrankieM wrote: »
    I'm doing terribly with any kind of daily housework routine though. I think I just prefer keeping everything ticking over daily and doing the housework on the weekend, so I may just keep on with that and then do a deep clean every few months? How do others do it?

I tend to do some bits as I go, washing up, wiping down the sides, laundry etc through the week and then get the ironing and hoovering done quickly at the weekend. The exceptions are when I come home to an empty house and find OH and his kids' breakfast bowls and cups piled next to the sink and their stuff all over the floor(s) :rotfl: then I tend to find other things to do and let him deal with it when he comes home :o
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,491
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 8 March 2019 at 11:55AM
    Good for you Frankie and although you shouldn't be weighing at home LL:naughty:, I'm glad you're getting into your plan too.
    FrankieM wrote: »
    I'm doing terribly with any kind of daily housework routine though. I think I just prefer keeping everything ticking over daily and doing the housework on the weekend, so I may just keep on with that and then do a deep clean every few months? How do others do it?

DH does our cleaning!!:D:rotfl:

It's something he's always done. I think he finds it therapeutic so I'm happy to leave him to it!;) I do shopping and laundry and we share the cooking. He seems to think that's a fair division of labour and I'm not arguing.:)

We both keep the bathrooms and kitchen clean and tidy after ourselves but he does the major cleaning. I do some other bits when the mood takes me. For example, we have a number of ornaments and some brass candlesticks (all mostly inherited) that I clean/wash from time to time.

Something else I've taken to doing is when I've used a face wipe and it's still quite clean (like from removing remains of mascara) I find another use for it. So I wipe down picture frames or glazing bars on the windows or another small job that can get overlooked.

All that being said, cleaning (or any housework) isn't a major priority for either of us. The house is tidy and clean enough but we're not obsessed and there are better ways of spending our time.:)

I use Clarins serum but it's not cheap either. I've been using some flaxseed oil instead about half of each week (when I've got more time to let it soak in) so that's eking it out plus I bought it at Duty Free so that saved a bit too.

Just a heads up for anyone planning to buy some make up/skin care/perfume. With Mothers Day coming up there are often good value gift sets around. Sometimes you can buy a set with the product you want and some other 'freebies' to try. It's worth doing the maths.

Nothing much on today's agenda other than food shopping. I'm going to commit to starting my latest book.:)
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    The scale says I have lost 3 pounds now, only since Monday, amazing.:T

I got that Gok Wan book about revamping your wardrobe yesterday. I'm going to read that this weekend.
    I too have been astonished to see how many "free foods" there are on the WW plan but I can also see where I have been going wrong in the past. I haven't been able to download the app yet so,I'm still doing it all "manually" but even so I'm pleased with how it's going.

I don't know why, but it just seems to have clicked in my head this time and I'm feeling confident that I will reach my target. And I'm certainly not feeling hungry or deprived.

Yes, the same with me, it just seems to have clicked this time. I realised I was using too many calories on the breads/ pasta/ rice before.

Those type of carbs don't fill me up either!

I'm going much more for lentils, chickpeas and the Quorn pieces and I'm eating loads of food and feeling very satisfied.
    maman wrote: »

It's my birthday next week so every reason to get fabbed up. I'm thinking of making a hair appointment for Monday, just a cut and blow dry and trim my fringe. It's a bit of an extravagance but why not??;)

Yes, why not indeed.:cool:
  • lessonlearned
    Forumite
    edited 8 March 2019 at 2:58PM
    Just in case anyone is interested........a kitchen gadget that might be helpful for low fat cooking.

My cooker really isn't up to much, one oven doesn't work and I don't really care much for gas anyway, but I don't want to replace it yet so today I bought an electric grill thingy from Aldi. £9.95

Rather than being a straight pan it it is divided to keep foodstuffs seperate. Apparently it is suitable for low fat cooking so I bought some spray oil and spray butter to try as well. I was thinking of getting an air fryer but as the grill was on offer I thought I'd give it a try.

I do like Aldi......

They even had a spray version of truffle oil. :D. I stocked up on some herbs and spices. I picked up a rosemary plant, a small basil plant which will go on the kitchen window cill, a tube of ginger pur!e. (I buy chilli and garlic pur!e too, saves all that chopping and grating).

I think if I stick to as many of the "free foods" as I can then I can jazz them up with herbs and spices for variety so I don't get fed up. Obviously dairy will have to be curtailed......:rotfl: cheese is my biggest temptation.

Wednesday......I am using lentils too instead of couscous, potatoes and the like. I have bought several types of beans, pulses etc to try because As you know I can't digest many grains but I'm fine with pulses. Having said that I have found a local baker who does a nice rye loaf. As long as I don't overdo it I'm fine. I get them to slice it for me and then freeze in batches of two slices. A loaf will last me weeks. :rotfl:

I actually like chicken and I love fish, not too keen on Quorn if I'm honest but with plenty of herbs and spices I should be able to ring the changes and not get too bored. I have already been reducing the amount of red meat I eat anyway.

Sorry if I'm being a diet bore.....:o. This week is a bit of a learning curve and I'm just trying to get my head round it all. I think it's a case of getting organised with meal prep and shopping, basically just thinking ahead. Hopefully once I've got a grip it will become second nature and I won't have to think quite so much about it all.

Maman. I've read good reports about the Clarins serum. I usually do ok with their products with no allergic reactions. I love their Beauty Flash balm.

I have decided that I'm am going to give myself a course of facials. I have some skin peel product so I'm going to give those a go.

Then, as a reward for when I hit my first weight loss target, I am going to book myself into a salon. I have a couple of harmless small cysts which I shall get removed. No one else notices them but I know they are there. :rotfl: it's time I got rid.......

Has anyone tried any of the serums that are supposed to promote eyelash growth. Mine are really sparse now. It's either that or I'm going to either have to try false eyelashes or salon extensions. I thought I would prefer to try to grow mine again if at all possible.

I mean business now.......:rotfl:
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,491
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Sounds like you've had quite a shopping spree in Aldi LL. That's one of the things I love about Aldi, you get loads for your money!:)

It's really important to stock up on all the healthy foods then you'll not be tempted to eat junk.

While I know nothing is banned and treats are built in, some things can be too much of a temptation to have in the house. These days I only keep Parmesan and cottage cheese in the fridge and some grated cheese in the freezer. So I limit eating other cheeses to having an occasional cheeseboard when I eat out. I don't have a sweet tooth so if it's a set 3 courses then I'll always ask for cheese. It's the same advice I'd give for anyone that likes cakes. It's better IMO to go to a nice tearoom or coffee shop and enjoy a portion of something you really like. It may cost the same as buying a whole cake but if it's at home you'll just eat it all until it's gone!:eek:

Thanks for mentioning the Beauty Flash Balm. That's one of the products I've got from a Clarins gift set. I must try it out. How do you use it?

Shopping all done and put away. I treated myself to a bottle of the Aldi Cremant du Jura. I like it as much as champagne (it is made by the champagne method but not in that region) and that's chilling in the fridge. So I'll be chilling with it later.:D
  • LuxuryWoman
    LuxuryWoman Posts: 156
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hello fabbers, sounds like everyone is glowing and pampered.

I’m a bit low today as I hoped to have my new smile today, still only a few more days. Haircut tomorrow and maybe my eyebrows threaded.

I have a mini bottle of prosecco for a treat tonight and might defuzz. Just want my new gnashers though.

My daughter is doing great fighting her ED, but it’s really not the time for me to diet in earnest.
    I’m doing loads of surveys for nectar points and amazon vouchers so I’ll have a little splurge on goodies soon.

Happy weekend everyone
    :T:T
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    LL - the retinol cream is by Skincare Cosmetics - a US company, they do a range of retinol products. I first bought it at TKMax & then on Amazon but my local hairdressing supplies shop stocks it. It's factor 20 and I pay about £10 a pot for the day cream.
    DH going to do some more work on the boat today so I'll grab a couple of hours to have a bath, wash my hair and do some moisturising. Just as an aside I asked my DiL for one of those JML mini face defuzzers - it works fine but I don't like my stray eyebrows on my chin being shaved so I've bought the mini epilator instead - much better!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Apparently it is suitable for low fat cooking so I bought some spray oil and spray butter to try as well.

Wednesday......I am using lentils too instead of couscous, potatoes and the like. I have bought several types of beans, pulses etc to try because As you know I can't digest many grains but I'm fine with pulses.

Yes, I bought the spray oil as well, the low fat chips I made the other day were really nice.:)

I have ordered some of the lentil pasta to try too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure