Help With Student Loans - HERE!

Comments

• Hi,
    I am new to this forum, so I am hoping I am In the right place!

Student loans, I took out loans a few years ago now, 2006 then in 2015, with the agreement that if I earned over such and such an amount (cant remember both amounts now) that I started paying back... that's the agreement between me and Student Finance, when ever I have worked and earned enough it was attached, which to be honest I've never earned enough, but I have always informed them, plus they told me they were attached to the tax office anyway, fair enough - what annoys me is when the contact me every year asking if I'm working, I say no, they say how are you living, I say I live with my husband/family then they ask for his financial details - I say no! - seriously if the loan was an agreement between me and them, then why ask for my husband's private details (plus I wasn't with him when some were taken) surely this is a breach of some sort? - I have no qualms about paying it back if I was earning enough, but to try and obtain bank details of my husband etc, to me is wrong - I'm just wondering why they do it if the agreement has nothing to do with my husband..
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,865
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Hi,
    At uni I completed a NHS degree and was in the fortunate position to have my tuition fees covered by NHS, only leaving me with a loan repayment of £6500 for maintenance loan. With all the talk about not paying off loans ASAP, I’m guessing for myself I would need to pay off it all as quick as I can, as I’m likely to be paying way over the odds if I wait for the interest to build over next 30 yrs. I work in the NHS.
    Ta!

I agree with your logic, though who knows what the future holds.

Repayment threshold is earnings over £25k, so estimate your future salary and do some calculations.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • silvercar
    Ambassador
    Irishsacko wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am new to this forum, so I am hoping I am In the right place!

Student loans, I took out loans a few years ago now, 2006 then in 2015, with the agreement that if I earned over such and such an amount (cant remember both amounts now) that I started paying back... that's the agreement between me and Student Finance, when ever I have worked and earned enough it was attached, which to be honest I've never earned enough, but I have always informed them, plus they told me they were attached to the tax office anyway, fair enough - what annoys me is when the contact me every year asking if I'm working, I say no, they say how are you living, I say I live with my husband/family then they ask for his financial details - I say no! - seriously if the loan was an agreement between me and them, then why ask for my husband's private details (plus I wasn't with him when some were taken) surely this is a breach of some sort? - I have no qualms about paying it back if I was earning enough, but to try and obtain bank details of my husband etc, to me is wrong - I'm just wondering why they do it if the agreement has nothing to do with my husband..

If you are claiming not to be earning then they require evidence of how you can afford to live. Seems reasonable to me.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • KerryS
    KerryS Posts: 1 Newbie
    Hi, wonder if you can help. I have been separated since 2015, is there any benefit in getting a divorce before I apply for my daughter's grants. She will not receive any support from her Dad towards her uni education which is why I ask.
  • silvercar
    Ambassador
    KerryS wrote: »
    Hi, wonder if you can help. I have been separated since 2015, is there any benefit in getting a divorce before I apply for my daughter's grants. She will not receive any support from her Dad towards her uni education which is why I ask.

It's based on your household income, so if Dad has moved out his income is not considered.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    KerryS wrote: »

I'm separated (i have a decree Nisi but not Decree Absolute) and i had to provide Student Loans Comapny with proof of this when my daughter applied for a Mainenance Loan last year.
  • Hi, i am so glad to see your post offering advice!! I have a couple of questions....

1. I work overseas and have been sent an assessment form etc to return and will be issued with a repayment schedule from july19-june 20. My wages will double in Oct (as going fulltime then) but by that stage i will have been issued with repayment amount based on my current wages. Will they just issue new repayment amount then or backdate to Oct?

2. I will loose a major amout through deductions so there is a BIG difference in my gross salary and what I actually take home in net amount but the repayments are based on the gross. Is there anyway to argue that I am paying an unproportional amount from my net salary in student loan payments?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,869
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    http://www.studentloanrepayment.co.uk/portal/page?_pageid=93,6678653&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

your income changes while overseas

Normally your scheduled repayment amount is fixed for a 12 month period. However, you can apply for a reassessment of your scheduled repayment amount at any time if your income level changes.

You can also apply for reassessment if you are moving between countries with different threshold bands

You should contact us on +44 141 243 3660 to advise if you need your repayment amount reassessed.
  • Thanks for your reply. The thing is, i dont wast to have income reassessed mid-year as my repayments will be lot more. I am hoping that my reduced wages will give me a low repayment amount to last the whole year even though my wages increase in oct. They wont know i am on a higher wage untill i put my assessment in again for the following year (june 2020). When i forward those details, they will see my wages have increased. Will they request higher payment for that coming year only or will they backdate it to when my wages actually increased?

Also, is it possible to pay a lesser amount based on net rather than gross? Has this ever happened or do they demand gross salary related payments even though it is not something i can afford? Will be around £175 pmth
  • InDebted2U_2
    InDebted2U_2 Posts: 379
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    slcworker wrote: »
    Hey, i have alot of Knowledge of how the student loans procedure works. If anyone needs any help, i can advise as much general info.
    Obviously i cant divulge into specifics due to Data Protection and the fact that i'd get fired, but anything i can help with, just let me know.
    Can you tell me if I can get a student loan for an undergraduate degree if I already have a basic degree (no honours)? I've been hunting everywhere for a definitive answer to this.
    2021 Targets
    find my smile again
    :money:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family