urgent help required

I posted a thread back in april re other half getting back details stolen
(see here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5972252) .

Basically 3 x unauthorized payments of varying amounts were taken, allegedly through paypal. At the time my oh had a paypal account but never really used it (I think once or twice). Upon realizing what had happened my oh immediately closed the paypal account (not sure why) & contacted them asking to investigate. A response was never received. It was also reported to the bank who confirmed the transactions to be fraudulent & the money was reimbursed to the account. A block was put on the card & a replacement card sent out.
Today oh has received a letter to the home address from acr Europe. It states: this account has been passed to us as our client, Paypayl, has been unable to obtain payment of the above balance from you.
Clearing the balance will life the limitations our client has applied so you continue using your paypal account.
If we don not hear from you within the next 14 days we will obtain our clients further instructions on the recovery of this debt. We therefore urge you as soon as possible to discuss your account.

Is anyone able to help? What I’m guessing has happened is that the transactions the person who stole the details has made have gone through payment via paypal at the time but by the time paypal have come to collect the money from the bank account the card was blocked hence they’ve not been able to collect the money, so they are treating it as a debt?

Who is best to contact in regards to this?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Write back, disputing the debt, giving your reasons.
  • little_green
    little_green Posts: 652 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Write back, disputing the debt, giving your reasons.
    back to acr? they will just advise to contact paypal as i'm assuming they are only following paypals instructions
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    back to acr? they will just advise to contact paypal as i'm assuming they are only following paypals instructions

ACR with a CC to PayPal. All bases covered :-)
  • little_green
    MEM62 wrote: »
    ACR with a CC to PayPal. All bases covered :-)
    oh also worth noting. that although the bank statement said paypal followed by a retialed eg cdkeys (whcih was one of them). under the paypal summary there were never any transactions listed hence OH could not flag them up directly on paypal if that makes sense, only email them. So it's really confusing as on paypal nothing shows.
  • little_green
    also i cant find an email address that allows me to email paypal directly, it has to be done through their site?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post

That's why they'll need to go back to PayPal.

Keep things simple.
  • little_green
    That's why they'll need to go back to PayPal.

Keep things simple.
    ok. I assumed they would just say that I (oh) would need to resolve the issue with paypal directly
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 24 May 2019 at 9:06PM
    I am rather surprised at this new development.
    I recall from the original thread that the problem was that paypal transactions unconnected to your paypal account appeared on your bank statement through use of your debit card. There was never any trace of these transactions on your paypal account which your OH then cancelled. I also recall that you agreed that this action by your OH was premature and unnecessary.
    You say that your bank have accepted these transactions as fraud and have refunded you. The fact that these debits appeared on your statement and have been refunded would indicate that paypal were paid at the time. In such a case, fraudulent use of the debit card, the bank will have accepted the loss themselves and there should have been no chargeback to paypal. If paypal have in fact not been paid for these transactions, then the bank must have raised a successful chargeback which would have been for reasons other than fraud which in turn would imply that your bank has not accepted them as fraudulent as you state If the debit card was accepted by a merchant using paypal as a payment processor and they have successfully been charged back, paypal would have passed that chargeback on to the merchant and would therefore not have suffered any loss themselves.. I therefore don't understand 1) how paypal have suffered any direct loss and 2) why they are using the services of a debt collector in such a case.The other question is how have paypal connected these transactions to you if they are not connected to your paypal account?
  • little_green
    That's what I don't understand either.
    Oh is in communication with PayPal via PayPal so think has reactivated the original account but still there is nothing appearing under activity/transactions.
    I assumed the bank accepted the transactions as fraudulent as wouldn't have reimbursed the money otherwise?
    I thought maybe perhaps the alleged outstanding balance is in relation to transactions that were maybe made after the card was cancelled? So they went through at the time but a few days/hours later when the money has tried to be taken it has failed?
    I honestly have no idea. What's more frustrating is that my other half is very much bury your head in the sand type meanwhile I'm stressing out here imagining a can't pay take it away type situation.
    Also to note PayPal had never previously been in contact to ask for alleged outstanding balance ... It seems quite drastic to go directly to a debt collection agency!? I mean I would have thought that at least an email fro.oaypal saying "remind to pay you balance of X by Y" would seem appropriate intially?

The messages with PayPal at the time haven't been entirely helpful ie they keep saying report the transaction in the resolution centre however bc it's not there I cant. They also said they won't communicate via email and to phone or live chat them but given the circumstance I want a paper trail.

Could the letter from arc Europe be a scam?
  • little_green
    I'm also concerned that the account is continuing to accrue debt. Again since nothing is appearing in transactions there is no way to monitor this.
    On logging into PayPal account it doesn't even say STN along the lines of "you are x out of balance/overdrawn" you'd think if it was then it would be flagged up on the account page?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure