Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Easyjet ONLY

Options

Comments

• DianneLee
    Options
    We were on the same EJ flight from Bilbao and diverted to Liverpool instead of Manchester. On arriving at Liverpool airport an announcement was made on the plane that there were not enough spaces on the buses to take us all to Manchester Airport and they would appreciate anyone who did not need to be taken to Manchester to get taxis and they would be reimbursed.

We were also told the same story by the ground staff on the tarmac when waiting for buses to take us into the terminal.

There was a plane load of passengers that were witness to this yet EJ are now refusing to pay expenses to those who got taxis due to no other form of transport being available.

We need help to find an escalation route within Easyjet to get rightfully compensated as they promised us.

Think I will start with twitter as it usually gets best response these days!
  • manny89
    manny89 Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DianneLee wrote: »
    We were on the same EJ flight from Bilbao and diverted to Liverpool instead of Manchester. On arriving at Liverpool airport an announcement was made on the plane that there were not enough spaces on the buses to take us all to Manchester Airport and they would appreciate anyone who did not need to be taken to Manchester to get taxis and they would be reimbursed.

We were also told the same story by the ground staff on the tarmac when waiting for buses to take us into the terminal.

There was a plane load of passengers that were witness to this yet EJ are now refusing to pay expenses to those who got taxis due to no other form of transport being available.

We need help to find an escalation route within Easyjet to get rightfully compensated as they promised us.

Think I will start with twitter as it usually gets best response these days!

Yes, was on the same flight and can back up that that is what was said!
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    edited 22 May 2019 at 6:30PM
    Options
    Hi Manny89 and DianneLee,

A couple of things in your favour.

The aircraft did not have to divert to Liverpool, it probably did so to enable the flight to refuel. You were taken there for the benefit of the airline and that is not an EC, so compensation is due imo.

Why did the airline not just 'splash and dash' back to Manchester, it would have been the logical course of action. That would save being coached back and it would position the aircraft in the right place for the next flight with the fuel that that would require. That would have got the next flight out of Manchester regardless of the fuel situation there.

Presumably you landed at Liverpool within a minimal delay? and you had a long wait for coaches or a taxi?

Please explain how it got to a 5 hour delay.

So far as the taxi fare is concerned, they must pay it. If they refuse ask them for a final or deadlock and refer you case to CEDR, they will get you your refund.

Also keep an eye on the other connected thread...https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6003851
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • manny89
    manny89 Posts: 20 Forumite
    edited 22 May 2019 at 6:50PM
    Options
    Tyzap wrote: »
    Hi Manny89 and DianneLee,

Presumably you landed at Liverpool within a minimal delay? and you had a long wait for coaches or a taxi?

Please explain how it got to a 5 hour delay.

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Flight was initially delayed about half an hour. Then spent 2-3 hours sitting on tarmac at Bilbao, waiting for fuel problem at Manchester to resolve. When this didn't happen, decision was made to fly to Liverpool.

I think it couldn't land at Manc as there was no space with all the grounded planes :/

I think the flight left roughly 5 hours late, probably arrived at Liverpool about 5-6 hours late and at Manchester with more delay than that.
  • adidas
    adidas Posts: 335 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 May 2019 at 2:49PM
    Options
    Hi guys. Wonder if you can help. Currently at Madeira. Flight EZY 6246. Apparently Easyjet citing extraordinary circumstances for the cancellation. They are telling at the airport that the flight is not cancelled but delayed more than 36 hours. The airport staff are Portway, not Easyjet themselves who are only offering accommodation and the alternate flight.

In an email Easyjet say it's bad weather but no other airline is affected with other airlines taking off and landing. I was quite concerned about not getting back today as I have a series of commitments so booked myself on a JET2 flight leaving today - all the JET2 flights this morning sold out due to the cancellation. I want a refund of my cancelled flight.

I have taken screenshots in the airport on the departures screens and also the live departure / arrival information board. And of course I'll keep receipts of my expenses today.

We've been given €9 each to spend at the airport for food and nothing else.

Easyjet say in their email that it's due to weather and won't be entitled to compensation. I think that they are probably using this as an excuse to not pay compensation. I really can't believe it's due to weather with all other airlines taking off and landing.

Where can I go from here?
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is it the easyJet flight to Bristol ?
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This suggests delays at Funchal airport currently

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airports/fnc/departures

Which backs up their claim
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    adidas wrote: »
    I want a refund of my cancelled flight.

Unless you paid more for your ticket with easyJet than your last-minute replacement flight with Jet2 you will be better off claiming a refund of the latter.
  • slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We were in a similar situation to you with Easyjet must be 6 years ago now.
    All other airlines with flights delayed from about the same time as our flight, had taken off and were long gone.
    We waited over four hours to get our delayed flight.

I honestly believe it was because Easyjet had sent their plane elsewhere and then couldn't find another plane to replace it.

Anyway we got zilch except a 5 euro voucher for airport food.
    We tried MSE application for compensation but it was rejected out of hand. Because there were 5 of us the claim was something like GBP 1250.

Good luck to you.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • adidas
    adidas Posts: 335 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for responses. I've read info on flight tracker as well. Yes it''s rhe Bristol flight but all Easyjet flights affected today. The thing I'm struggling to understand is that smaller aircraft such as JET2 are taking off and landing so I find it surprising that only Easyjet planes are the ones affected by weather.

I suspect it's due to an alternate reason that would be covered by compensation rules.

Anyone have any experience at progressing this further who can advise, challenging it with a regulator or taking it to court?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback