We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Fruit in containers?

I have acquired a large planter, about 1 foot diameter, 1 foot deep. I haven't got anything earmarked for it so I wondered about a fruit tree.

I've done a bit of reading and narrowed choices down to cherry, apple or fig. I have a greenhouse so can bring a fig in over winter.

Just my reading seems to say cherry should be in a larger planter. Wonder if anyone has any wisdom / experience?

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,423
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Figs produce better if their roots are constrained.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • malebolge
    malebolge Posts: 500
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I grow all 3 in containers, although the cherry is in a larger one than you have. I bought patio apples so they wouldn't grow too big. They do produce apples, but last year was their 3rd year and I only had 7-10 on the plants. Even so, the branches on 2 of them were weighted down and needed supporting so looked nothing like the compact, pretty mini trees I bought. Loads of stakes and bugs loved the leaves. My cherry - looks good, lots of cherries and 2 years running forgot to protect it with netting and birds ate every one. My fault, but the lesson learned is - if you want cherries - you have to be prepared to have netting over the tree. Fig is healthy and fruiting so I'd opt for that, or... have you thought of growing a large blueberry? I have 6 in tubs and they do really well (Ok birds do like them but don't wipe out the whole crop overnight like the cherries.) Also have gooseberries in tubs that grow really well. In fact, all my fruit except rhubarb & raspberries are grown in tubs, some huge, cause I'm in a wheelchair most of the time. All seem to work well overall.
  • dancing_star
    dancing_star Posts: 312
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    malebolge wrote: »
    I grow all 3 in containers, although the cherry is in a larger one than you have. I bought patio apples so they wouldn't grow too big. They do produce apples, but last year was their 3rd year and I only had 7-10 on the plants. Even so, the branches on 2 of them were weighted down and needed supporting so looked nothing like the compact, pretty mini trees I bought. Loads of stakes and bugs loved the leaves. My cherry - looks good, lots of cherries and 2 years running forgot to protect it with netting and birds ate every one. My fault, but the lesson learned is - if you want cherries - you have to be prepared to have netting over the tree. Fig is healthy and fruiting so I'd opt for that, or... have you thought of growing a large blueberry? I have 6 in tubs and they do really well (Ok birds do like them but don't wipe out the whole crop overnight like the cherries.) Also have gooseberries in tubs that grow really well. In fact, all my fruit except rhubarb & raspberries are grown in tubs, some huge, cause I'm in a wheelchair most of the time. All seem to work well overall.

Thank you!

I should have said I already have rhubarb, gooseberries, raspberries, blackcurrants and strawberries in my raised beds so something different required. I already have nets over those so no problem with netting. The birds ain't getting their beaks on my fruit!

Blueberries may be an option but I'm now gearing towards figs.

I'm playing mental musical containers - I need 2 for my courgette plants, I have 2 that I made plus a half-barrel, and this new large ceramic planter. So I could put the courgettes into the 2 I made from boards, bung a cherry or apple in the half barrel as that is bigger, and a fig in the ceramic smaller one!

Thank you again.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,114
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    That container sounds a bit small for a permanent fruit tree, however Morrison's, and from Sunday, Lidl, have patio fruit trees, around or under £10

I'd opt for a fig as well, they don't mind restricted roots and are not plagued by common pests like aphids or grubs in the fruit, plus don't mind a bit of neglect, [STRIKE]hacking at branches[/STRIKE] pruning or lack of water at times
    I have 3 figs BTW
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I grow small variety of blackcurrants at home and also a patio cherry called kordia The cherry has taken 3 years to bare any fruit, only got a few cherries last year this year though theres a lot of flowers and looks like small fruit forming
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure